INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dvd description  (Read 1510 times)

bryanwhitby

• Recent member
dvd description
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:28:49 am »

Hi
Can you please tell me whether there is a way to add comment/description to a dvd by use of the Tags
It would be nice to have a short desciption of the film come up as you hover over the cover
Regards
Bryan Whitby

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: dvd description
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:24:27 am »

I've been asking for this to be fixed for several months.  Turns out tags cannot be saved in DVD files.  My suggestion was for MC to write an XML file with the tags in the DVD folder.  Seems like it would fix the problem.

bryanwhitby

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:28:51 am »

Dont see much use of the IFO tag Perhaps they could allow that to be an editable field to contain user text

rjm

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 12:36:47 pm »

I think the 2 of you may be discussing different issues.

A DVD is stored in MC as one IFO file. You can assign whatever tags you want to the IFO including comments and notes.

Now on to Ben's point...

IFO's (like many other file formats such as AVI and PDF) do not store tags inside the file. This means the tag information is stored only in MC's library which means you need to be disciplined about backing up your MC library.

An additional important point...

There is one major difference between DVDs and other file types that you should be aware of. A DVD consists of many files wrapped in a folder. One of the files is the IFO (which MC uses to represent the entire collection of files). Unlike other file types, you cannot use Rename Files from Properties to move the entire collection of DVD files. So my approach has been to carefully name the DVD folder and put it in its final location BEFORE importing into MC.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 07:18:42 pm »

One of the files is the IFO (which MC uses to represent the entire collection of files).

Correction: in my experience, MC creates a figurative .dvd file that it uses to internally locate the DVD folder.  This causes issues with lots of things including "locate on hard disk."

bryanwhitby

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:06:17 pm »

Apologies if i am not explaining myself very well. My DVD's are backed up to hard drive ( Main Movie only) in the same format as the original DVD then MC is run and it adds the film to my collection I then attach a Cover to the file, When i hover over the cover Information is displayed about date, last played , duration and filename. clicking on tags shows similar information on right off main display. Is there any way that i can add a description/comment about the film which is shown when i hover over Cover or in the information shown on left of main display when i click on tags
Regards
Bryan

rjm

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:43:48 am »

The info that pops up when you hover over a file is called a tool tip. You can turn it on and off but you cannot customize what it displays.

You should be able to see your information in the Tag action window (on bottom left) when you select a file. You do have some control over what is displayed in this window. Try right clicking in the window and select Show Tags With Values.

If you haven't already learned this, THE single best tip I can give you about MC is that right click is your friend.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:30:10 am »

Right clicking is good in any program!  I mean it is half of the mouse input.

Definitely spend some time looking through the entire context menu because you will catch things that will come in handy later.  You'll thank me later.

bryanwhitby

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 04:11:03 pm »

Having now figured out how to add a dvd description to the tag info Does any one know how to get the info to stay on the screen for more than 5 seconds. 20 seconds would probably be enough time to read description
regards
Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up