INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error message when trying to play pictures  (Read 1449 times)

StatisticallyRelevant

• Recent member
Error message when trying to play pictures
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:51:36 pm »

I just moved 7,000 pictures from one drive to another;  now when I try to play them, I get an error message saying "make sure file pointer is correct or that pictures are not being blocked by Access Control".  What is that?  Why does every picture in my library have an X on it? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Error message when trying to play pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 03:29:19 pm »

If you move them inside MC, that won't happen.

You could clear your library, set your auto-import options, and re-import from the new location.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:36:39 pm »

You can also use Find & Replace on the filename field to fix it. (i.e. replace C:\ with D:\)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StatisticallyRelevant

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 03:37:48 pm »

Sounds interesting... are you sure I won't lose my playlist organization?

StatisticallyRelevant

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:50:32 am »

Now that my picture files are ruined simply because I cleaned up one drive by putting them on another, I go in to play some music and none of those files work either!  I get an error message saying make sure the path in media library points to right location, and that my hardware may not support the 16-bit, 44k output I chose in the DSP menu, which has been working all along.  Is this version 12 some kind of untested beta format or something?  How can files work fine one day and the next turn to garbage?  I've got a hundred playlists... I can't start over here.  Before I got a suggestion to clear my library and re-import.  I tried that on my work computer, where I have fewer files... all my playlists are gone.  I can't do that at home.  Has anyone got any ideas?  Where's the "OK" button in the DSP menu after I select 16-bit, 44k and 2-channels? 

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:45:39 am »

I suggest cloning your library in the library manager before doing any experimenting.

You could try runing an auto import (make sure you add the root folders of where you moved your files to) with the "fix broken links" option checked. That should reconnect the library entries to your files if they havent been renamed. It should fix your images problem too.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:32:41 am »

Hey SR.  Please calm down and listen to the advice you're getting.

YOU lost the data if there was any lost.  You're moving files around outside MC, so your results may not be what you expect.

Matt suggested using Find and Replace in the program to change your drive letter.  Did you try that?

Did you try moving your files back to the original drive letter?

And until you understand what's going on, be very careful.  Experiment before you do the whole collection.

PLEASE use the thread you've started instead of starting a new one.  I've merged your new thread into this one.

Please don't accuse MC of harming your data.  That's a very serious accusation.

And.... how's your backup?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 06:39:59 am »

I would be very surprised if any of this is MC's responsibility.

You need two things...

1. An understanding as to how your library became 'broken'
and
2. An understanding of how to achieve your goal in the future without 'breaking' your library.

You're MC library database is founded upon where on your hard drives the files are saved at the time you import them.
If you subsequently move those files to somewhere else, then start MC, it will have absolutely no way of knowing where you have moved the files to, therefore, the library will be 'broken'. Loads of red 'x's everywhere and 'make sure the path is right' error messages.

This is why, in your previous thread, JimH said:
If you move them inside MC, that won't happen.

MC has many powerful tools, the simplest being the good old fashioned 'drag and drop', that allow you to move files around without breaking your library. When these operations are performed internally, MC keeps the library up-to-date with the new file locations and nothing gets broken.

If things have gotten broken, they are more often than not fixable by simply telling MC where you moved the files to, which is what Matt was getting at when he said:
You can also use Find & Replace on the filename field to fix it. (i.e. replace C:\ with D:\)

Try the suggestion park has given you, but make very, very certain that you are using either a clone, or that you make a backup of your library before experimenting.
Look under "File > Library > Backup Library" and "File > Library > Library Manager" for more help on this.

If you are unsure about any of the above, then take a deep breath, and state, calmly and precisely, exactly how you moved your files, and where you moved them from/to, and if you're willing to learn, you will get the help you need to fix things without loss of library data, including playlists.

-marko.

Pages: [1]   Go Up