INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with playing level when converting APE to MP3 while loading to iPod  (Read 1358 times)

jbryde

• Recent member

When I load my APE files onto iPod usiing CBR 320 or VBR normal MP# converting (Lame), I get problem with playing levels. I have tried with different headsets (pro stuff), but it is the same problem. It is like when you were recording an LP to tape deck, using to high recording volume in earlier days. What can cause this problem? I have very good ears, and it is really hi-fi quality on every APE file I am trying to move. Still after conversion to MP3 via the iPod tool, many (not all) files get this weird playing level problem.

Any solution???

jbryde

• Recent member

I thought for a while that it could have something to do with normalizing of the files to 95% but since all files play perfect on the computer and from computer to the stereo, this couldn't be the problem, or what?

Anyway, if this was the problem, there is no option to normalize when converting from APE to MP3 while loading to iPod, as far as I can see ?

If anyone has experienced similar problems, or of if Jim/others from J River has any pro quotes to this question, I would appreciate it. Anything that touches this problem would be of help, just so I can be pointed in the right direction...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

What is the problem exactly?

How are you encoding the files?  What settings?

jbryde

• Recent member

The problem is:

the sound distorts on peaks. I am not sure if I know the correct word for it, but somehow it is the same thing as when we in the earlier days got distortions on the peaks when recording LP to tape on the stereo with too high recording volume.

Last time I tried I used these settings:

- Convert unsupporterd formats
- Converter: MP3
- Converter settings: CBR/ABR with 320 kbps (not restricted)

These are the only options I can find.

As I said, the APE files play wonderfully on the computer, and has been doing so for many years on many kinds of stereo equipment. Therefore I can't understand why the mp3's (after being converted on the fly from ape) get this problem on the iPod.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try a different setting for the encoder.  It should default to VBR.  320Kbps is overkill for a small device.

The problem may be the playback on the iPod.  You could test by playing them ON your PC FROM the iPod.

jbryde

• Recent member

I have tried different settings. VBR set to normal has been tried. But actually, the sound is better with less distortion using CBR and 320 kbps.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I don't have an iPod, but I don't think the MP3 conversion itself has any problems in MC.

You didn't explain exactly what kind of problem you are hearing. Are you hearing clearly distorded output or is the difference very small and difficult to detect? Are only the loudest passages affected?

Are the tracks that have this problem louder than the tracks that are fine? Did you try to disable the soundcheck and equalizer options on the iPod?

Do you have some other similar (maybe older) tracks that don't have this problem. Did the problem start after some change or have you experienced it from the beginning?

As a test, you could convert one of the APE files to MP3 with MC's converter without uploading it to the iPod. Import this file to the library and compare its audio quality with the APE file. Then change the track name and upload it to the iPod. Now compare it with the older problem file. Can you hear any difference?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up