INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find music in ver 8.0 not as quick as 7.2  (Read 1501 times)

JimBob

• Recent member
Find music in ver 8.0 not as quick as 7.2
« on: August 06, 2002, 08:08:23 pm »

Can I somehow have the new Media Jukebox 8 but keep the old find music option from version 7, as this was a lot more user friendly and a lot quicker

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

RE:Find music in ver 8.0 not as quick as 7.2
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 12:38:51 am »

Can you tell us more precisely what the issues are and what you're running? Is the 'Find Music' location inconvenient? Is it slow to respond when you enter search terms? Mine responds in a nanosecond. Might be a function of your system configuration.

HTH

JimBob

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 03:01:44 am »

To be more specific. The older version had all these boxes in your face and you could just be specific about what area you wanted to look at really fast by clicking or unclicking the boxes. the new version 8 is great if you want to look in every area with a certain word. But if you want to only check in artist and album you now have to click in a side area and on things like keyword blah blah blah. The older version did take up more space but it was really responsive and extra quick. I'd love to have version 8 with version 7.2 find music feature.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 05:13:33 am »

Under Playing Now, you'll find "Find CD" and "Artist Info".

Also, try a control F if you are searching for music in your library.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

JimBob

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 10:18:15 pm »

I think I need to be more Specific. I'm only looking for music in my computer which I already have.

JimH I read somewhere that you actually work for JRiver if this is true, I have one question for you. Can I have the same functionality for finding music in version 8 or a later version that works as quickly as the version 7.2. or is our feedback or enough feedback good enough for you guys to put back what may have worked better before.

Becuase I'm new to this forum stuff, and normally I just e-mail the technicians at the appropriate places and they give me an answer to my problem. So far I think I'm being mis-understood. However I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks for that.

Dano

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 12:38:19 pm »

I agree that Version 7.0 did have its advantages for quick searches.
What used to be one or two clicks is now several clicks.
Maybe there is a happy medium that allows the ability to add rules, but also provides the simplistic approach of version 7.0  (A main panel that lets you select the search text and which fields you are interested in)

I think the problem is not that the search itself is slow, but rather entering the search criteria is tedious.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 12:44:11 pm »

Can't you just do:

1) Ctrl |PLS| F
2) Type something (an artist, a genre, whatever)
3) Hit enter to play

If you want to narrow it down, learn the keywords like ar=Metallica or n=Unforgiven (check out the help file -- you can quickly do very powerful things that you couldn't in 7)

Does that not do something that you need?  It's super fast and handy for me.

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2002, 01:17:42 pm »

Matt:

Does it for me.

HTH

JimBob

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2002, 05:24:07 pm »

Perfect! Thanks guys thats all I needed, something simple and quick. Now if someone could bring back or tell me how to get the other info I posted on the forum. I would be an MJ user for life. Oh yeah and fix the CDDB problems etc in MJ 8.

Thanks again for your help

Dano

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 11:21:04 am »

Works for me too, thanks.  Didn't even think to read the Help.  I guess I should read to see what else I don't know about yet.

JimBob, have you tried a forum search for "JimBob" to get your old forum posts?

sekim

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 12:54:37 pm »

In case you didn't know this already, just click on Media Library in the Tree. It will do the same as the control F. If there is something you're always after make a smartlist reference for it. You can also send smartlist info into a playlist and save it if need be. That really cuts down on search time. Click. Play.

Forgot to add...

You can also customize the toolbar with a button - Find Music. One click and type in whatever you are looking for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up