INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image tagging: Tips, common usage, avoiding traps...  (Read 901 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Image tagging: Tips, common usage, avoiding traps...
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:39:19 am »

Hi,

As with music, a big collection may be worthless unless there is meta data attached to them.

Of course, with images, the tagging process is more manual, but I'd like to be able to do "similar things" with the images as with music. Since there is quite a lot of work involved I'd like to know what to do  before I start:

What are the common traps wrt. image tagging? What's the common usage? Tips?

I can think of some issues:
* With images, the some of the tag info only resides in the jrmc database. Other tag info resides in the file header (EXIF I believe it's called).

* What tags exist, what level of tagging should one aim for? (default in jrmc is people, places, year,captions, events)

* How compatible is the nesting function with other software systems?

* If i decide to change image handling software in 10 years, how can I avoid ending up with "unreachable information" in the image files?

* How can I prepare for a "face tagging" scheme like Facebook or Photoshop? (If I start tagging People now with a "People in the back and then towards the right" convention, what happens when (if) jrmc adopts face tagging? will I have to redo the work?

* How does one implement "levels of places" like country/city/street?

Thanks..

Pages: [1]   Go Up