INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! The usage of Theater View: Custom List Items  (Read 1697 times)

Leifus

• Recent member
HELP! The usage of Theater View: Custom List Items
« on: January 30, 2008, 02:40:54 pm »

Hi all,

I have my PC setup so it runs JRM in Theater View automatically. Pretty much so that there's no real PC (desktop) access. S'just my preference but I have this all setup through my TV, controlled through my remote blah blah blah...

I've got a list of things I want to do with Theater View and was hoping to get some feedback from some experienced JRM users out there to see if I can actually achieve these things.

== 1) Custom List Items ====================

Ok, um firstly, I'd like to have my OWN list in Theater View. Great, I can delete the default items such as "Audio, Video, Etc" and I can add my own. This is just because I have my own preference in what I want things called, how I want things grouped blah blah.

So now I have "Music, Live TV, Movies, TV Shows, Images".
What I'd like to do is link these Items to various areas within my JRM library.

I thought I could utilise the Core Commands and have my custom list Items run a bat file which for example would:
 1) Load the 'Video' area of my library
 2) Load my selfmade 'Movies' Library (which contained everything but TV Series/Shows)

However, this seemed problematic. Everytime a Core Command is made, JRM minimizes and then (re)maximizes. This is not exactly perfect but I decided to ignore this for now - if anyone knows why this is, please could you inform me.

My bat file worked. It loaded my library of movies and switched to the Video area.  But after 2 Library switches, JRM just crashes.

So, I'm now trying to figure out how to get this working.

- Can the JRM Core Commands load a playlist or smartlist instead of me trying to load a new library?
- Can I call these Core Commands without JRM minimizing and maximizing?
- Is there an alternative to what I'm trying to achieve?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: HELP! The usage of Theater View: Custom List Items
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:35:20 pm »

i have the feeling you make things more difficult then they need to be. but it is not exactly clear what you realy want. i think you can all do it inside Theater View. what are you trying to do with the core commands. loading an other library?
why you want to use an other library. inside the library and Theater View there are enough ways to make things the way you want, including changing the categories. and when it is because some of the stuf is 18+, there are some nice ways to keep those out of sight, but somebody else should help you there cause im to young for that stuff. :-[

maybe you can give and example of what you want to accomplisch.

Leifus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:16 pm »

Ok, erm, it's not that I was making things too difficult. It was just that I'd like to customize JRM to my own liking.

An example of what I'm trying to achieve is:

The only reason I was trying to load another library was so that I could seperate my "movies" from my "TV Shows" and this would extend to any other seperate grouping I wish to apply to other media types.

Am I really missing a trick in JRM? I've searched around and can't find these things that I need...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 06:03:24 pm »

A favor to ask.  Could you call it MC or MC?  JRM doesn't compute.

Did you post about the TV problem you're having?  There is a TV board here that Yaobing regularly reads.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 06:10:06 pm »

ah. i understand now. that is not possible that way. there is a thread somewhere from people who want to add extra items to Theater View like you also want. that is not possible now. the only option you have is to make the seperation later, under videoos, for instance. then have movies, live tv and TV series. and why not, games. and just make sure you have those items under the appropiate view scheme. via the language file you could even change the name of video.

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:27:24 pm »

ARGHHHH!!! I just spend 40 min's searching the forums for something like this....then 20 min's typing up my query...then think, I'll do one more search...and PRESTO...find this :)

I WANT THIS TOO!  Big Time. Big big time. So here is my mail just to support this as a requirement.  Theater View is most certainly the weakest part of MC and I respectfully suggest that it needs to become more customisable to match the power of the rest of the product.

What about...if I set up a custom menu items in Theater View Options...that executes a command file that executes MC core commands to say, jump to smartlist x and set up the display as I want it in Theater View?

I would like to be able to set up MC12 on my PC such that I can use Theater View in a "family friendly" way.  At the moment it is a bit too "rich" and the family can see all the media...not just the stuff we want to see as a family.  I still want it to hold all my media, so just loading "family stuff" is not an option, nor is running multiple copies of MC. b But a custom Theater View seems perfect as I use the Standard View for my stuff and only put it into Theater View for those Family occasions. 

I do not like the way MC navigates from a top menu of Video to a sub menu (of genre or directory) with TV Series  Movies, All etc. and then to the list of videos... I want less button presses.

Requirements/Constraints are as follows:
1. One instance of MC
2. Theater View opens up at a top level menu showing the following menu options...

At the Movies
TV Shows
Videos from YouTube
Music
My Family Pictures
Exit

3. Selecting one of these top level menues will take you straigh mto the relevant sub-menu in thumbnail view showing a list of all the items available to play.
   "At the Movies" will list  only movies that are tagged as "commercial movies" (ie. not home movies :), web video or TV Shows etc.).
   "TV Shows" will list only media tagged as TV Shows (ie. not movies,  web video  etc.).
   "Videos from YouTube" will show only media tagged as "YouTube" (ie. not movies, web video or TV Shows etc.).
   "Music" will only show audio tagged as "family".
   "My Family Pictures" will only show pictures tagged as "family" (ie. no the naughty ones :).

It's dead easy to make smartlists for the above...done it!....but I do not know how to make them (and only them) appear in the top level menu in Theater View.

I am happy to make/modify a theater view skin (does not appear to be too difficult - would prob. use Blue Too as the base).... However I do not see any commands in the skins to allow me to achieve the above...so I need some guiance.

It would be ideal if I could say make a skin with the above items in the top level menu and "attach" the required smartlist to the menu buttons....so when i click it, it goes straight to the list...but there does not seem to be a way to do this.

Perhaps I could even have multiple Theater Views...one for the Kids, one for parties, one for the wife and have a hot key on the remote/Girder load the required Theater View skin...hmmmmm

Help would be appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up