INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server finetuning requests  (Read 1717 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Library server finetuning requests
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:31:20 am »

As I've said before, I mostly sit on a crappy connection and get alot of errors while using LS. So for me, it would be sooo nice to have a bit more information on what's going on, and one more button.

The button:
When starting MC and the LS library was previously used, it takes forever and a half before I can use MC (usually throws a "can't connect" msg because of the line). So, a CANCEL button when the popup "Please wait" is showing would be precious.

The rest:
Info is most basic now. I get these messages in the popup "Please wait":
"Please wait"
"Connecting to server, please wait..."

Here it would be nice if one could also get
"Connected to library"
"Loading library" with a progress bar (as it used to in 11)

Then, when the library finally is on, the messages in playinfo box (you know, the one at the top showing currently playing song etc) is scarce at best.
"Waiting"
"Buffering x%"

Ok. "Waiting". For what? It could be replaced with
"Connecting..." perhaps and then
"Buffering x%"

Then the "Buffering x%" is very unresponsive, it only show one value (usually 13%) then plays or skips.

Lastly: Responsiveness (is that a word? Doesn't look right...). There is an overall slowness to the dialogs and messages which reduces the perceived speed. No one can't do anything about bad connections, but I would really appreciate if not having a program freeze for a great amount of time because of it and that I knew what happens.

How does this sound? :)

Thanks for reading!
/Martin

JONCAT

Re: Library server finetuning requests
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:06 am »

I do miss the progress bar from 11, and I feel your pain. Upping my bandwidth at home was the best than I ever did for MC; not possible for everyone I know but I'm glad I pulled the trigger. Still takes awhile to load because of library size: the progress and maybe cancel option would be useful.

DC

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:57:33 am »

Thanks for the ideas, and I'll keep them in mind. However, I think these kind of problems will begin to go away by themselves, as network connections get better.

Anyone else having similar issues?

j

Marty3d

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:09:17 pm »

Mm.. I'm not sure about the sun-will-shine-soon-enough-theory. Mind you, I'm in Sweden, one of the most advanced places for broadband in the world.
And by "crappy" I mean 24/1 mbit stream for the server... 1mbit is upload (unfortunately), and the client has c:a 4mbit download. So better in this part of the world will probably mean fiber (10mbit or 100mbit both ways)to push the upload stream...and that's not going in to regular rental flats anytime.

But who knows? :)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »

Where are you streaming from and to? I was guessing that it was in house, but maybe it's between work and home?

What kind of errors? Are they "blips" in the network connection?

j

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:49:36 pm »

No exactly, from home to work.
Blips? Like noise in bad mp3s? In that case no. But files are mysteriously skipped several times a day (3 in a row) and then I'll have to wait a minute or two before trying to play anything again. Connection usually takes 3-5 tries before I can get the library.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 02:22:41 pm »

Strange. When this happens, is your network connection to your home down?

Taking 3 to 5 tries to get the library sounds like your network connection is flaky. The advertised speed may be what they say, but it sounds like connectivity is going up and down.

I have a DSL modem that I have to reboot every couple of weeks. Eventually it starts dropping connections, I'm not sure if it is a firmware bug, or a heat problem, or what, but when the problem begins happening, it happens several times an hour. Rebooting prevents it for a couple of weeks.

Your ideas for Library Server are good, but I'm thinking that this problem is better attacked by finding out exactly what is going on with your setup.

j

Marty3d

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:09:52 am »

Strange. When this happens, is your network connection to your home down?

Taking 3 to 5 tries to get the library sounds like your network connection is flaky.

I found one or more possible roadbumps here. My music in on a external USB drive and this goes to sleep when not used. The first of the failed loadings could be that the drive doesn't spin up on time.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 01:09:21 pm »

That sounds like a good place to investigate...

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up