INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 8.0.398  (Read 9272 times)

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
Media Jukebox 8.0.398
« on: April 10, 2003, 09:51:03 am »

Please Note: Support for TV and DVD playback has moved to Media Center.   TV and DVD are now part of Media Center.

A new build of Media Jukebox is available:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox80398.exe

History:
1. Changed: Shockwave about box was replaced by image
2. Changed: CDDB support has been removed.  CD lookup uses YADB.
3. Fixed: Media Jukebox did not work with latest version of WMP.
4. Fixed: Media Jukebox was not able to play asx streams with WMP 9 installed.
5. Fixed: Media Jukebox was occasionally failing to display video from avi files.

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
Re: Media Jukebox 8.0.398
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 08:48:32 am »

I'm curious why does MJ misreport the playing length of video files.  Also can someone please tell me how to restore windows in mini-me mode.  thanks.
Brian

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 10:04:44 am »

Hi Brian,
What kind of video files?

Right click on mini-me to go to mega mode.

Jim

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 04:15:54 pm »

a lot of mpg files i have it shows the length as 18 minutes or so and it's only a 3 - 4 minute video clip, that type of thing.  And I'm not talking about mini to mega mode, what I mean is when I had the app in mini mode last week I closed the video window on it and now there is no way to get it back, the slide bar disappeared.  I see you fixed that download link, maybe running the update will fix the problems.  Hope you're well Jim.
Brian

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 04:18:13 pm »

Ran the update, fixed niether problem.
B

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 12:55:56 pm »

BUGS:

Tooltips at player buttons in Mega-ME are continuously appearing. They can't be disabled and they show up again and again. Tooltips on toolbar, organization tree and content view are OK.

Analog CD playback can't play more than one song. CD drive stops at the end of song. MJ is still in playback mode, but the seek position is at the end and it doesn't change to the next track.

Importing OGG files leaks memory. MJ takes more than 200 MB and doesn't release it.

Scotty

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 03:43:47 pm »

Why was support for CDDB yanked???

Just wundrin..  ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 04:18:07 pm »

It's a long story.  You could try a search here if you're really curious.

We now have a lot better control of the experience.  Our data may not yet be as complete, but we have fewer problems.  YADB is growing well.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 11:47:09 am »

>>> CDDB yanked
lets try to keep it clean
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2003, 06:54:11 am »

BUGS:

Tooltips at player buttons in Mega-ME are continuously appearing. They can't be disabled and they show up again and again. Tooltips on toolbar, organization tree and content view are OK.

Analog CD playback can't play more than one song. CD drive stops at the end of song. MJ is still in playback mode, but the seek position is at the end and it doesn't change to the next track.

Importing OGG files leaks memory. MJ takes more than 200 MB and doesn't release it.

i am wondering if these bugs have been fixed. or have been found as to what is causing them.  

also what system are they on.

i am mainly wondering about the  analog one and the ogg importing one.  

because i have some analog cd's and i only use  ogg files.  

dont like mp3 or others.  i stick with ogg.

also i see that mjc 9 will be released soon.  is that going to be the end of the mjb  or will there be 2 programs offered by you.  

i forget if you said that before.?  

i came back here to get the download of mjb 8 since i am ready to install it on the old computer and then seen all the above?  

so should i wait ?

would also like to know if the lic.  would expire and cause the  mjb8 to stop working if only used on a non-internet conneted computer?

thanks for your answers and the time it takes to find them out for me.
roving cowboy / keith hall

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2003, 07:11:09 am »

It's a long story.  You could try a search here if you're really curious.

We now have a lot better control of the experience.  Our data may not yet be as complete, but we have fewer problems.  YADB is growing well.

not any need for a long story.  just quite simply.

online cddb is a bunch of  crap.   i dont use it and dont like it never needed it.  

:D

SteveORama

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2003, 05:43:35 pm »

I respectfully disagree. CDDB online finds many more of my CD's than YADB.
I guess I'll have to live with all the bugs in MJ until a better program comes along.

Steve   :'(

Xero

• mawwhahaha
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2003, 10:31:07 am »

when i go to mini-me mode and i use a skin like amped or amped2 none of the track info works. but it does work with the sonixmedia skin. i am running windows 98se. some please help if you can.  ?

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 10:50:28 am »

I respectfully disagree. CDDB online finds many more of my CD's than YADB.
I guess I'll have to live with all the bugs in MJ until a better program comes along.

Steve   :'(

Then it is your responsibility to update YADB so that it can grow.  If everyone that uses CDDB just "let the other guy do the update," it wouldn't be large enough for you to say, "CDDB finds so many more of my CD's."  ;)

Bill

Hellion

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2003, 11:39:35 pm »

I disagree on this, there was no documentation that they were going to remove this, if so I would not have upgraded myself because it takes away absolutely all the usefullness of this software from me. You are
saying I should manually key in all 1500 of my cds if it doesn't find them...no way that is the only reason I have this program.  Out the last 10 cds I have tried media jukebox finds none of them. I personally don't have time to manually key in every cd in my collection. Again not to mention it in some sort of warning (hey this update gets rid of cddb lookup would have been nice)

I personally don't mind keying in a cd every once in a while but every cd makes the program worthless to me.  Great update tho to remove abilites from the program.

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2003, 11:38:54 am »

oh how fast we forget.

cddb  was started by free open source people,

was free   for along time.  still might be free  i am not sure if it is or not now.

but as for me when it was sold to a single  company to take care of it a couple years ago  it no long was free,  

why do i think that.?  

because of the fact it is not free open source anymore and there is no way  that i know of to see if there is any spy ware in their codes that might have been added in to it by the record companys.    and if there is it is no longer free.

you say they wouldn't or couldn't do that??

look what madona  did with the free song swaping??  it is very easy to hide codes in the huge online data bases.    and like   flys to the spider web  all the  users buzz to the spy ware.

i cant prove it is there.  but it has not been proven not to be there either.

so online cddb is a bunch of crap anymore.

as for typing in 1500 albums  i would do that with no thought of it as i cant trust some computer program to get it right.

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2003, 11:59:18 pm »

When connecting to YADB,  a weird message box appears. It has 2 lines and 1 button:

? ? ?:  A
? ? ?:  C
 ? ? ?|||

Does anybody know what it means ?

BobBrehm

• retired
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2003, 06:55:19 pm »

A CD burned in data format (mp3) is supposed to burn in alphabetic sequence. Even when I sequence it first, it doesn't. Why?

snydley55

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2003, 03:24:08 pm »

? I have probably missed something in the faq or post, however how do I use yadb now that cddb is gone? I understand while ripping a cd, however I am trying to cleanup my existing mp3 set. Do I have to re-rip the original to get it to seatch yadb?
thanks

clanger9

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 07:19:59 am »

:-[

TV and DVD removed?? What on earth for? I use the TV feature a lot!!

I was happy with MJ8 and have no desire to upgrade to Media Center. Guess I need to revert to the the earlier version?

I thought the way to get people to upgrade was to add new features in the new software, not remove them from the exisiting version!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2003, 10:07:25 am »

If you like TV and DVD, you might want to try Media Center.  If your V8 license is old enough it may be a free upgrade.  See www.mediajukebox.com/license for info.

Media Center is here: www.mediajukebox.com/mc

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2003, 07:14:03 am »

> If your V8 license is old enough

Jim...don't you mean "new enough"

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2003, 08:58:21 am »

>> Jim...don't you mean "new enough"
no

A MJ8 license bought before dec 3rd will work on MC9

if it is newer then the user will need to upgrade.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2003, 01:02:36 pm »

Jim H -

The following is from a post to another thread:

In the past I tried v.392 & v.396 both versions had problems with reading my CDR & CDR-W drives.  Crash and burn, crash and burn.  So I reinstalled 388 and my CD problems went away.

Since then I've had to replace my CDR drive but MJ won't read from it.  Other programs on my system have no problem with the new drive.  My other problem is I deleted the 388 install program and kept 392 by mistake.  I'm thinking that in order to get MJ to read from the new drive I have to do a full uninstall then a reinstall of MJ.  Or are there registry settings that I can change?

Even tho it would mean losing some functionality I wouldn't mind trying 398 but if it has inherited the problems from 392 & 396 I'll be up the proverbial creek.  And no I don't want to switch to MC even tho I'm eligible for the free upgrade.  I'm only interested in sound files.

My CDRW works for playback and record but its a noisy sucker hence the need to get my quiet CDR working with MJ.  Plus I like to use the CDRW only for burning.

Thanks to xen-uno I was able to get a copy of 388 so I backed up my current system, did a full uninstall of 388 and reinstalled.  No luck, even with a clean install it locked up when trying to access the CD-ROM drive.

I uninstalled 388 and installed 398 same problem.  Crash and burn, not just MJ but the system becomes unstable and I have to reboot.

EAC rips and plays from my new drive just fine.  Steinberg Clean also reads and rips from it with no problems.

Media Jukebox  8.0.398
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 999 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 1045 MB, Free - 951 MB
Resource Info: System - 56 %, GDI - 76 %, User - 56 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

FYI.  I mentioned that 392 and 396 could not access either of my CD drives.  398 plays from my CRRW drive with no problem.

Please respond this is really frustrating.

thanks

gvag

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2003, 02:16:27 pm »

Re: CDDB/YADB and other features being removed.

I agree with other posters in this thread who take exception to the removal of features from MJ.  If JRiver wants to drop these features from a future version of MJ it certainly has the right to do so.  But I do not think it has the right to remove features from MJ 8 that were included when I purchased it.

As to the CDDB/YADB controversy I am confused as to why JRiver would institute yet another CD database.  Why not use feedb instead of CDDB.  I put a new CD in my drive and YADB could not find it.   I started EAC and it found the CD with no problem.  My experience with freedb is that it is very rare for it to not have a listing that cddb has.

Another point about CD info:
Technical Note on how Media Jukebox collects CD and track names.

For a CD that Media Jukebox has never seen before:

Media Jukebox first checks for "CD-Text" data on the CD itself.

If the information isn't there, it checks the cdplayer.ini file in the Windows directory.

When MJ couldn't find the CD in YADB I deleted the entry from my CD folder and closed MJ.  I started EAC and after getting the info from freedb which MJ couldn't find YADB I exported the listing to cdplayer.ini.  I restarted MJ and got it to reread the CD but it would not pull the info from cdplayer.ini contrary to the documentation.  It would be really nice if there was an option to force MJ to read from cdplayer.ini.  An even better option would be to institute freedb support in MJ.  I will never send info to YADB, I got stung once supplying info to CDDB when it first started and once bitten twice shy.  Freedb is there why not use it?

And seeing as I am in semi-rant mode here's another one.  I don't remeber which version it was but MJ used to remember ctrl-f search strings between sessions.  It was really nice to repeat/modify a search without having to retype/rethink the search parameters.  Could you please fix it.

gvag

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2003, 04:58:39 pm »

Re: CDDB/YADB and other features being removed.

I agree with other posters in this thread who take exception to the removal of features from MJ.  If JRiver wants to drop these features from a future version of MJ it certainly has the right to do so.  But I do not think it has the right to remove features from MJ 8 that were included when I purchased it.

When we did this, we e-mailed everyone who had given us a valid e-mail adress, telling them what we were doing, and offering them Media Center at no extra charge.

Pennames

• Recent member
  • there's a hell of a universe next door.  let's go.
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2003, 09:57:44 pm »

When we did this, we e-mailed everyone who had given us a valid e-mail adress, telling them what we were doing, and offering them Media Center at no extra charge.

Then your email system is not working adequately.  You have my valid email address, I occasionally get emails from j river, and I received no such email.  I would not have allowed the "upgrade" if I knew CDDB was a goner.  It is so far superior to YADB that I don't know why you bother.  Is it that CDDB costs you licensing fees and you want to save money?  I'd pay a buck more for CDDB.  As much as I always loved and still love MJ, this is a blow.
Please spay and neuter your Republicans.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2003, 03:59:44 am »

If you submitted an e-mail address when you downloaded, then we e-mailed you.  Typo?  Spam filter?

CDDB raised their price 600% so we started our own.  It's very good now and getting better every day.

The level of problems we have with YADB is far below those we had with CDDB.  Try a search for CDDB and read the old posts.

dgness

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2003, 07:35:44 am »

Upon updating to this newer version, when I attempt to import my music files (to add new ones to MJ), it gets stuck on a particular file (which it never did before and one that I've already had on my PC) and I can't even cancel or close out MJ. I have to end the process with the C-A-D combo.

klai86

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2003, 08:40:45 pm »

CDDB database is not as good as Windows Media Database, how about connect using wmp?

is it breaking M$ law?????

jwollner

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2003, 04:36:33 am »

i've got no issues w/ YADB, but why was the feature to lookup tracks in YADB/CDDB removed from the properties editor?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2003, 05:10:25 am »

It's there.  Under tools/library tools.

jwollner

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2003, 05:41:00 am »

It's there.  Under tools/library tools.

Its not there on my screen.  The only options under Tools are:

Fill Properties
Rename Files
Find & Replace
Clean
Fill track numbers
Analyze Replay
Get Cover Art
Remove Tags

It also does not appear on the main Tools menu.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2003, 05:44:18 am »

Sorry, you're using version 8.  My mistake.

In Media Center 9, you can do this.  Not in MJ 8.

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2003, 11:44:17 pm »

MJ 398 still freezes sometimes when trying to resume from pause mode as I described in other threads before.

pmannings

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2003, 02:47:17 am »

since i have upgraded to 80398 i can't import new mp3 files anymore. the problem seems to be with wma files: when doing an import, the process stops when it reaches a folder with 3 wma files in it. julebox stops responding and i have to shut it down. i already had problems with wma before the upgrade because jukebox couldn't detect medi player version 9; at least it gave me an error message which i could acknowledge and the import continued. now there's no error message anymore but just a stalling of the process and a jukebox crash. not good value for my money! what can i do???

scorpion

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2003, 09:35:45 am »

I never got the Email about the free upgrade to Media Center 9 either. I don't have a spam filter, and JRiver has Emailed me other info with no problem. How do I get the free upgrade?

YT
Scorpion

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2003, 09:43:31 am »

Please see the FAQ on License/Purchase.

gigijoey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2003, 07:18:55 am »

hi - I have just bought Media Jukebox and notice that my build is 394. In fact i bought it 3 days ago. It seems that I should have bought media centre! do Ii have to cancel my credit card and start again! or will someone please explain why the software i bought seems to be "upgraded" to have reduced functions and why my media scheduler will not record! Please help - I would love to phone someone but then this is the modern world !!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2003, 07:55:08 am »

You can upgrade the license by downloading MC.

gigijoey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2003, 02:48:06 pm »

thanks for replying tim - but will I need to pay another $39? or just the difference between the MJ8 & MC9 prices? I'd love to try the new software. Does it resolve the bug with media scheduler that i have already found in my MJ8 ( ie does not record but just blinks on the task bar?)

thanks again and looking forward to a reply :D

gigijoey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2003, 02:56:05 pm »

sorry tim - i have just read the FAQs and se that i'll need to pay another $19 to upgrade.

i cannot help feeling a little ripped off with this - but then MJ8 was the best of software I trialled ( well done to all)

I'd still like to know if the media scheduler problem could be resolved ( have searched everywhere but no solution?)

Also - does MC9 have media editor etc ( ie all the things in MJ8 but more?)
thanks again  ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2003, 03:35:05 pm »

Also - does MC9 have media editor etc ( ie all the things in MJ8 but more?)

yes
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gigijoey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2003, 02:12:03 am »

thanks - that is useful. But I still have the media scheduler problem with ver 8. can anyone help me please!!?

?
Pages: [1]   Go Up