INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ratings not imported from MJ8 to MJ12  (Read 1494 times)

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
Ratings not imported from MJ8 to MJ12
« on: March 02, 2008, 07:51:48 am »

Hello all,

I have been a paid up user of MJ8 for a few years now. I discovered MJ12 today and upgraded.

Mostly the program is good, but when I load my old MJ8 library it does not transfer most of my ratings. In fact some tracks appear to have had their ratings changed.  ?

Given how long it took to rate these thousands of tracks I am not keen to do it again.

I have found variations on this problem in the forum, but no answer that I could use.

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Ratings not imported from MJ8 to MJ12
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:13:35 am »

Did you restore your MJ8 database or did you just import the media files?

The ratings should be included if you restored the actual database from a library backup file.

(If you have the old MJ8 database files still intact please back up them now before trying anything else. They may be needed later for solving your problem.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:35:34 am »

I did indeed install the library from MJ8 to MJ12. A few thousand files were not registered through the library transfer and I had to import them seperately using the import folder function.

Prior to making that import I had a lot of strange blanks in some of my playlists in MJ12. These blanks filled in after the import.

I backed up my MJ8 library before upgrading and out of caution made a second backup of that same library.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:36:11 am »

Oh and thankyou for your prompt reply.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:26:07 am »

I actually tested restoring an MJ8 library when MJ12 was released. It worked fine. All files and field values (including ratings) were restored correctly. Though my test library contained only a few files.

I don't know what happened in your case. Someone would need to actually test your library.

Personally, I probably would not like to go through any bug hunting procedure if all files are already in the MJ12 library and work normally. I would just do the following steps and rescue the ratings.

- Backup the MJ12 library
- Uninstall MJ12
- Install MJ8
- Restore the old MJ8 library
- Organize the rated files in five playlists (one for each rating) and save these playlists as .m3u files.
- Uninstall MJ8
- Install MJ12
- Restore the MJ12 database
- Import the playlists
- Go to the imported playlist tree branch, select and rate all files in each playlist.

The uninstall steps are needed because the MJ8 and MJ12 registry settings are not compatible.
If you have cover art files in the default MJ8 location back up also the cover art folder before uninstalling MJ8.

The list has many steps, but the steps are not anyhow complex or overly laborious.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:29:09 am »

Thanks, will do. Seems a logical enough procedure.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:43:39 am »

Here's the MJ8 installer link:

ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/Mediajukebox80400.exe

I guess you already have it, but someone else might need the file for fixing a similar problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up