INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I disable import of doc,exe,txt,pdf and every other 'non media' files?  (Read 1383 times)

ckbeme

• Recent member

I just d/l the trial of media center 12.0.529 and did an import of 3 music folders. I have a few Word and HTML files in my music folders that are for reference, etc.  I noticed those Word and HTML files were in my Media Center viewer so I looked for a setting determines the file types that get imported - with no luck.

I've not been able to find anything about these file types except a brief mention in the help files stating that doc,pdf,txt,html are Media Center supported file types. I would buy that, but MC picked up .exe .rar and other file types that have no business being in the MC collection.

I also see several non-media files listed under Drive letters and/or folders that I did not add to Media Center. I did not do a complete Auto-Import, I just imported 3 folders.  I don't want MC to pick up anything other than true Media files, and I'm really confused about this new "feature".  I had media center 11.xxx before I built my new PC and I didn't see anything imported other than media files.

Another note, MC hung when I did right click on a *.bdx file that Media Center grabbed from my Drive D: root directory.  I wanted to delete the file without MC trying to view or play it.  (The .bdx file is a database for a catalog software program that I've been using for 2 years.) I had to kill the MC process, and when I restarted MC all of the playlists and media files that I added were gone.

I was looking forward to trying the latest version of MC but I'm inclined to go back to Media Jukebox - in spite of some limitations.

Anybody else dislike the feature that imports everything? More importantly, can somebody tell me how to turn off this feature?

Thanks for any help.

Ck

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

During import, there is an advanced option.  Open it.

MC doesn't import those filetypes by default.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Also, the drive letter perusal in "drives and devices" will show you almost all the files, if not all, because it is an Explorer type browser. Those files are not necessarily in your MC library. However, it offers another way to import media.

ckbeme

• Recent member

Thanks to both of you - I thought I checked advanced options but apparently I did not.

I had to uninstall MC due to Msft error 'Media Center has to close.. blah blah' so I'm about to reinstall and try it again.

Ck
Pages: [1]   Go Up