INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD sync suggestion - field mapping  (Read 4383 times)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
IPOD sync suggestion - field mapping
« on: March 04, 2008, 07:44:42 am »

I think I suggested this some years ago but I thought I'd just test the water again with my suggestion. 

I'd like to see MC introduce some flexibility over what I can have displayed in the standard fields on the IPOD (Artist, Album, Genre, Composer etc).  The suggestion is that in the IPOD sync options there is an option to use a different field for say Album or any of the standard fields.  Here's an example of why this would be useful...  You could set up a calculated field called [Year] - [Album] and map this to the album field on the IPOD so the IPOD would display the contents of [Year] - [Album] instead of [Album].  I expect there could be all sorts of other uses for this too, for example you might want to use the Genres view on the IPOD to browse by something other than Genres.
JLee

bvm

• World Citizen
Re: IPOD sync suggestion - field mapping
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:50:10 am »

Yes!

I've really wanted some feature like this for a long time.  My collection is mostly classical, so the Composer tag is very important, but the iPod doesn't display it (though it's willing to include it in the things to search by).  So to see it on the pod, I have to cram it into one of the 3 existing fields that suffice for pop music, but I really hate to mess up my tags like that, when MC gives me so much power to organize properly.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:14:33 pm »

Another good use for this would be multi-user rating support.
For iPod A you could set one field to sync as 'rating', and with iPod B you could have another field sync as 'rating'.  That way you and your family could share a single library.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:33:31 pm »

This is exactly what I'm looking for too!
When I sync to the iPod the normal tags make it a real pain to find artists.
For me a couple of simple ones

MC 12 Tag              MP3 Tag
Album Artist       ->   Artist
Any Video tag    ->   Movie

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:57:22 am »

Yeah, it would be a nice feature, as I already use the "Year - Album" format a lot on py PC.
Maybe it could also allow the Disc # to appear somewhere...

Berg

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:58:27 am »

Another good use for this would be multi-user rating support.
For iPod A you could set one field to sync as 'rating', and with iPod B you could have another field sync as 'rating'.  That way you and your family could share a single library.

Great idea.

This would be a great addition !

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:22:16 pm »

I'd like to wake this up to maybe get an official answer if there is any chance to ever get that.
Specifically the [Album] + ([Year]) = [Album]([Year]) would be great.
Absolutely awesome would be something like this: [Genre] + [Imported last month] = [Genre](New!)

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:39 pm »

I also look forward to such an improvement of the mc. Because I think this feature would make it easier to handle the ipod and make the file-tagging more flexible.
I also use the [ year ] –  [ album ] field a lot on the pc and would be happy if the ipod allowed this too.
This topic came up quite a few times and I know that many people would welcome the feature. So you can’t say that too few people are interested. Maybe mc will come around soon

bertel333

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:13:19 am »

I just wanted to bring up this topic once again.
Would be really an awesome feature if it was possible to export custom fields (especially a field with album and year combined) to the ipod instead of the standard fields apple uses for ipods display view. Is it possible that this feature will be included in one of the next updates of MC14???

greetz
bertel333

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 07:10:03 am »

You can do this via iTunes using the MC iTunes Synchronizer utility that I have written. However, you'd need to keep two copies of your audio files (one each for iTunes and MC - each audio file would be linked together by MCiS). It'd take a little setting up and discipline, depends how desperate you are for the feature I guess.

bertel333

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »

thanks for your suggestion but i think i found an easier way. i use a custom calculated field (something like "[Album] ([Year])") and with the "move/copy fields" function of MC14 i can easily copy the content of this calculated field to the standard "lyrics" field for all my music files. fortunately my iPod can show the content of this lyrics field.

that works great but now i'd like to use the lyrics field to show some more information on my ipod (e.g. artist, name, date, composer,... - each in a seperate line).
does anybody know if its possible to build a calculated field with multiple lines in MC14 or how can i insert linebreaks in an expression???

bw
bertel333
Pages: [1]   Go Up