INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Leveling for MP3 Players  (Read 2313 times)

geez

Volume Leveling for MP3 Players
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:46:02 pm »

Read through most of the posts and I still have questions about keeping the volume consistent on my Sony Walkman MP3 player. I recently ripped all my CD’s with MC12 and transferred to the MP3 player. The volume from one CD to another is so drastically different that I can’t use this player without having to adjust the volume for every track in random mode. I went to the section Tools > Options > Handheld > Conversion > Encoder Settings and I didn’t see anything that appeared to have anything to do with the volume aspect – just bitrates and mine was set to VBR encoding. I tried other settings with 2 CD’s that were very different i.e. “3 Doors Down” – Away from the Sun and the Doors latest crappie remix. I deleted those from the Library, the Walkman and the hard disk before trying each setting. I analyzed all my music and looked into the DSP Studio settings > Volume leveling, but that appears to be just for playback using MC. Since Replay gain is just a tag, I would think that no portable player can utilize this function. Can someone help me with this problem, or do I need to get different software /  MP3 player?

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Volume Leveling for MP3 Players
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 01:31:21 pm »

For this reason I run all my mp3 files through MP3Gain before using MC's Analyze Audio feature.

MC's Analyze Audio keeps the levels good while playing in MC, while MP3Gain takes care of the portable player.
. . . the game is rigged

geez

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 05:50:57 pm »

Thank You so much!!
I'll download MP3Gain and start over
I too love Media Center - Best software out there
Gerry

Matchbox

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

I think I read in this forum that the tags that MC uses for Replay Gain are incompatible with the tags that are used by ipod.

Suggestion:  Maybe there could be an option in the handheld section to add the tags that the ipod reads, in the format that the ipod needs so our ipods could gain the benefit of replaygain?  The new tags could be inserted into the actual music file in our library or maybe just added to the file being synched to the ipod.

The option would been to be able to do TRACK or ALBUM replay gain.

If we already have the replay gain tags in MC, it "should" be a simple enough calc to adjust the values to ipod type values and insert them as new tags.

Then we'd get replay gain in MC and in our ipods.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »

I think I read in this forum that the tags that MC uses for Replay Gain are incompatible with the tags that are used by ipod.

Media Center converts Replay Gain information to Apple Sound Check information when uploading to an iPod.  The system works well, so there's no real reason to use MP3Gain to alter the actual MP3 files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:05:07 pm »

Media Center converts Replay Gain information to Apple Sound Check information when uploading to an iPod.  The system works well, so there's no real reason to use MP3Gain to alter the actual MP3 files.
Unless you do not use an iPod? Does it work with RiO Karma, or Creative Zen Xtra or Muvo perhaps?
. . . the game is rigged

Matchbox

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

Thanks, it's been a long time since I tried to use the sound check feature in the ipod and it didn't seem to work at all.

I will be trying it again!

Matt - does it convert the TRACK or ALBUM replay gain value to the ipod?  If TRACK, an option to have it use ALBUM instead would be wonderful !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up