INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kiosc mode?  (Read 1277 times)

zuryasse

kiosc mode?
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:12:30 pm »

Hello,

I have a CDs and DVDs retail store. I wonder if Media Center 12 is suitable for having touchscreen listening stations for customers to try before they buy.
What would I need to use the app that way? Anybody else uses it that way?

Thanks!

Zury.

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: kiosc mode?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:25:56 am »

Can't see why not. Sounds like a great idea! MC's "Theater View" provides a suitable interface for touchscreens.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:09:19 am »

although i've never used it, and so cant comment on it... there is the 'party mode' to protect your library which adds the security you will probably need

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:57:54 am »

Theater View would be a fine interface for that kind of application. You might even want to create a custom Theater View skin that would follow your store's graphical identity. I think some skinners here would be happy do that kind of work for you.

Personally, I would check the local copyright laws before proceeding. Copying commercial Audio CDs to a hard drive and allowing customers to play the files may not be automatically permitted even though the purpose is only to demonstrate the products. It would be best to get written permissions from the CD distributors, record companies or other copyright holders.

Perhaps JRiver could extend the Party Mode password lock to Theater View too. Then once Theater View is started it would not allow exit to Standard View unless the user provides the password. This would be a useful feature for real parties too. The guests would not be able to accidentally close the Theater View.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up