INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beer -- Light or Dark?  (Read 5480 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Beer -- Light or Dark?
« on: August 04, 2002, 04:37:54 pm »

St. Pauli Girl (German for the Miller fans) comes in both light or dark.  So does Heineken.  Maybe Bud some day.

Any favorites?

(I'm doing this for zevele because he is away from his desk.)
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

RE:Beer -- Light or Dark?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2002, 04:47:23 pm »

Now you've caught my eye. LEINENKUGEL'S. Any flavor except the Berry Weiss. To sissy for me. HEHEHE!!! Original in my hand now. Nice Lager that doesn't taste watered down. Too bad it comes from Wisconsin. The only thing holding it back from perfection is this.

I would say light for the most part.

That's a poke by the way. Football season is almost here and I might as well start with their beer first.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 05:12:26 pm »

since i gave up beer for as long as i can, beer is now forbiden in this forum.

i can still look at my beer bottle collection how ever.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 05:15:39 pm »

PSSSTTT.  Did you hear that cap twist off?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2002, 05:20:20 pm »

All beer is good to me (germany is best)

Weizen is a true Bavarian style beer, and i call it home.

I do tend to also like darker beers.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2002, 05:25:43 pm »

Had two mugs of a great dark beer from a microbrewery in I believe Superior, Michigan on the Northern Penisula while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. Helped wash down a whitefish sandwich.

Listening to: 'Patsy Cline - Crazy' on Media Jukebox

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2002, 05:26:35 pm »

Porter - Geary's (Maine microbrewery), Sierra Nevada, Old Thumper *British, brewed here under license). Also Bell's Amber (Michigan) and Barley-Wine Style Ales. Moretti the Italian brewery makes a decent Red Ale. Anthing dark. Don't like lagers as much.

HTH

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2002, 05:29:23 pm »

I have a microbrewery in town here in fayetteville, nc and it has some good beer. i have visted about 7 of them thru the usa when i was in the army and the qualty was always top notch.

I wish I owned one or was a brew master
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Deerhunter

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2002, 05:41:12 pm »

Oops my wife just informed me it was Ashland, Wisconsin where I got the dark beer at Wilmart Deepwater Grill.

Listening to: 'JIM REEVES - DISTANT DRUMS' on Media Jukebox

Scronch

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2002, 07:34:48 pm »

I am extremely partial to Silver Creek IPA and Silver Creek Porter.  Not yet widely-available, but worth the wait.  In a pinch, an IPA from New Glarus or Goose Island will do.  Fuller's has been making an excellent ESB for a long time.

King, you can probably get the usual Weissbiers, such as Hacker-Pschorr, Franziskaner and Paulaner.  If you can get them, I recommend Erdinger and Weihenstephaner.  My preference for wheat beers is a fine Dunkel Weiss.

Scronch

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2002, 03:49:36 am »

>> Weihenstephaner
I Can get this and many import beers from the class 6 store (alcohol store on A military base\post is called "class 6").

also i have seen some clubs where they send you beer each month from all parts of the world.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2002, 07:46:08 am »

Beck's Dark w/ 3 limes - ditto for Guiness

AlonsoN

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2002, 10:23:21 am »

Fall & Spring: IPA's & ESB's & other Pale Ales.  Dogfishhead (DE), Smuttynose, DeGroen's, Brooklyn some of my fav's

Cold dark winter nights: Balentine Scotch Ale, but only on tap.  Smooth, rich with just the right modest bitter bite.

Stinking hot Summer days: Cerveza Millwaukie -Any limp US lager w/ a large wedge of lime. Better & fresher than that slightly skunky Corona that's been around for too long.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2002, 04:16:03 pm »

Neither light nor dark. I like RED. Red Wolf, Killian's Irish Red ... there are some imports but they're too expensive.
CVIII
CV --- remember Champagne Velvet? Never drank any ... that was before my time but I remember the TV commercials.
That's right.
I'm cool.

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2002, 07:22:41 pm »

Without a doubt Guinness. I love a good stout beer
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

BigMike

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2002, 08:27:35 pm »

Many moons ago, back when I was just a lad from Iowa, I use to play piano and Shakeys Pizza parlor in the evening, and tend bar in the afternoon. We had regular, and dark beer on tap. That dark beer was good stuff. Don't know who made it for them, but I use to sample it on a regular basis :)

Rudy

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2002, 04:19:50 am »

In between-ish, when back in No. California. I used to drink Fullers ESB, a local called Anchor Steam, both amber-y but delicious, and Guinness when I could find it. Now that I live in Ireland, it's Guinness all the time. Friends keep trying to get me on more Murphy's or Beamish, but I keep going back.

The next bit of work is determining which pub has the "best" Guinness.

AlonsoN

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2002, 05:50:43 am »

BigMike

Many moons ago, back when I was just a lad from Iowa, I use to play piano and Shakeys Pizza parlor in the evening, and tend bar in the afternoon. We had regular, and dark beer on tap.

O Dog, don't remind me.  If it was many MANY moons ago, in Iowa, it had to have been Michelob Dark.  Remember that swill?  Redulant of vinegar and battery acid.  {{{shudder}}}

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2002, 06:41:18 am »

Seemed appropriate to post - from today's news....

Women to Worship Goddess of Beer

Aug 6, 9:26 am ET

LONDON (Reuters) - British beer lovers have enlisted the support of a Sumerian goddess in their efforts to shake off the masculine image of their favorite tipple.

Fed up with the drink's beer bellied image, the Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) said on Tuesday it had adopted the goddess Ninkasi -- said to have created a recipe for beer 4,000 years ago -- as patron in a bid to attract more women to the pumps.

"We think real British beer is something to be proud of and it should be marketed to women as well as men," said Camra's Mike Benner.

"Almost all the advertising we see on our TV screens...is a real turn off for women. Ninkasi, the new Goddess of British beer, is here to change all that."

Ninkasi, worshipped by one of the world's earliest civilizations in what is now Iraq in around 3500 BC, is thought to be one of the early brewers of beer.

She was worshipped by both men and women at a time when ale was made and served exclusively by women.

Camra decided to adopt the cult after its research revealed that less than a quarter of British women had tried real cask ale in a pub, Benner said.

Almost a fifth of women polled by Camra said they thought it was an old-fashioned drink, while a third believed it was "unfeminine."

"Brewers need to present beer in a more original and modern way if they are going to build a following with women," Benner said in a statement. "It needs to be a little less Inspector Morse."

To tempt female taste buds, the society is launching a range of 10 "female friendly" ales at its Great British Beer Festival in London this week.

While none is brewed to the recipe used by Ninkasi, Benner said the 10 beers on offer demonstrated the wide variety available.

He added that women would also not be expected to drink the beer in the same way as ancient Sumerian women -- from bulky clay jugs through lengthy drinking straws.

The annual Great British Beer Festival is on at London's Olympia from Tuesday to Saturday. Some 45,000 beer lovers are expected to attend.

Camra surveyed 1,000 people across Britain in June this year.
Namaste,
John

Mr Ed.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2002, 09:04:31 am »

Definitely Corona, it’s the only beer I can drink without a headache next morning.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2002, 09:42:07 am »

Mr Ed.

>> Definitely Corona, it’s the only beer I can drink
>> without a headache next morning
normaly that is due to when the beer is brewed they use Rice this is a cheep way of of brewing beer and getting the alcohol % up.

good quality beers do not use rice, and i do not include budwiser as good beer even if you pay top $ for it.

German and surounding country beers are brewed with strict regulations for quality in mind.

that said many other countries also have some very good beer.

if you would like a headache drink sojue (from korea) you will have a major headache it is a rice alcohol maybe around 25% if i remember correctly. it takes sometime to drink it without a headache. since i spent 2 years there total I had only minor brain pain.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Gatobrit

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2002, 10:00:39 am »

King - as a beerologist (and ID3 Tagging PhD) any thoughts about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or other west coast ales? I'm looking for advice / suggestions - I don't like dark beers.
Namaste,
John

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2002, 10:29:31 am »

Never Had It

Unknown Facts about KingSparta

KingSparta Received His PHD In beerology in 1977, And Has Consumed Many Kegs since Then to Further His Studies. KingSparta Feels His I Q Goes Up The More Beer He Drinks. He Has Been Known To Bridge The Language Barrier In Countries He Visits. The More Beer He Drinks The More Words In That Language He Knows.

From what I can read it sounds like a good beer (ingredient wise), normally a Pale Ale is a bit raw and sometimes bitter with an aftertaste. They are normally not "smooth beers".

If they would have let me in the internet I would have ordered a 6 pack of each.

http://www.sierra-nevada.com/html/beers/paleale.htm
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Gatobrit

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2002, 10:53:55 am »

King - thank you for the fact list! I will keep your advice in mind regarding your language abilities after beer consumption when I hit sourthern France in a few weeks time.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - I (and She Who Must Be Obeyed) like it. It's not that bitter IMHO.

I remember when I first arrived in California. I was dropped off at my company's apartment by the ocean in Santa Cruz on a Saturday afternoon in August. The sky was the most deep blue I had ever seen. It was warm not hot - perfect. I dragged my bags into the apartment and decided to go for a walk.

I ended up at a bar (The Crows Nest - a famous place in Santa Cruz I later discovered) and asked for a beer. In England they would pour you what they had with no questions because it's likely that there would be little choice. Here, they asked what kind I wanted - I asked what they had. A long list of beers was given - about half way through I lost track of what was what but the last one mentioned was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Not wishing to appear to be an idiot I didn't ask for the list to be repeated and ordered a glass of SNPA. It arrived. Cold. Wornderful. Thirst quenching but satisfying. Full. Nice aftertaste. The glass was quickly emptied and a second one arrived. Later that evening I discovered American beef in the form of perfectly cooked prime rib.

As I made my way back to the apartment that evening I knew that I had found heaven on earth.

God, I love this country!
Namaste,
John

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2002, 11:10:10 am »

Gatobrit

hehe

I would love to try "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale" (like all beer)

It is a dam good thing I do not have money to buy a brewery
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Gatobrit

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2002, 11:16:23 am »

King...

>>It is a dam good thing I do not have money to buy a brewery

hehehe

Which brewery? There are so many to choose from! Choices, choices. :-)
Namaste,
John

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2002, 11:46:04 am »

Gatobrit:

Sierra Nevada makes lovely brews. I know you don't like darks, but their porter is superb. Other West Coast beers: Anchor Steam and Barley Wine Style Ale, Red Hook (Washington - pretty good), Hales Ales. Anderson Valley - very hard to get anywhere outside of California, supposed to be one of the best in the country

Bells in Michigan is one of the best regional brewers I've found. http://www.bellsbeer.com/. Distributed in MI, WI (Scronch?), Minn (Jim H), unfortunately not in the East. Son is in Ann Arbor - have to rely on him to donkey it back to me.

Good site to check out:

www.beeradvocate.com

HTH

AlonsoN

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2002, 11:49:56 am »

Wee factiod: IPA's - India Pale Ales were developed to be able to be transported to India from England during the age of empire.  They have a higher alcohol & hops content to help them survive the months at sea & warm climate.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2002, 12:09:22 pm »

Beer 27 posts, Wine 9

Now we know where to advertise.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Bigmike

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2002, 12:24:32 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BigMike

Many moons ago, back when I was just a lad from Iowa, I use to play piano and Shakeys Pizza parlor in the evening, and tend bar in the afternoon. We had regular, and dark beer on tap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AlonsoN

O Dog, don't remind me. If it was many MANY moons ago, in Iowa, it had to have been Michelob Dark. Remember that swill? Redulant of vinegar and battery acid. {{{shudder}}}

BigMike

It was back in the early 70's. While I was playing sing-along tunes on the piano at Shakeys, I would get a break every hour. During those breaks, I frequently would have pitcher chugging contests with the college students that liked to hang out there. Because of this, I am exempt from remembering many details of the situation :)
My lord, how did I ever survive those days? LOL  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2002, 01:07:46 pm »

>> Shakeys Pizza
thats a name i have not seen in sometime.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2002, 01:11:29 pm »

Wife Just Called Me On My Cell Phone She Picked Up Some Sharps Beer At WalMart.

Now All I Need Is My White Disco Outfit, Pop A Few Bee Gee MP3's On The Old Media Jukebox And I Will Be Set.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Gatobrit

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2002, 02:26:08 pm »

HTH - >> Sierra Nevada makes lovely brews

Yes indeed they do. I will try some of your other suggestions. Good news - looks like Anderson Valley is available at BevMo to collect. Cool!

King - >> Now All I Need Is My White Disco Outfit

Anyone see the new movie Signs? I feel like that all over again now...

JimH - >> Beer 27 posts, Wine 9 Now we know where to advertise.

But maybe the Wine folks have a bigger budget? :-)
Namaste,
John

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2002, 06:31:26 pm »

Hi Folks,

Happy to read lot of MJ users that appreciate beer.

I've the chance to live in THE beer country, and it's my favorite drink - not the regular pils - but the special beers we brew here in Belgium.

To share my taste for those wonders, have a look  HERE

If some of you are realy interested in some recomendations, drop me a mail at Yves, I'll be pleased to help.

Yves.

Drinking a Leffe brune 6

Bigmike

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2002, 07:31:05 pm »

KingSparta:

>> Shakeys Pizza
thats a name i have not seen in sometime.

BigMike:

Isn't that the truth. Seems like a hundred years ago now. I use to set at that old upright piano, and I had a tenor banjo player who set on a beer keg right beside me. We had a slide projector putting the words up to the songs on a big screen. That was the start of my musical career. I had no idea at the time that just a couple of years later  my music would take a much more serious turn, and become a life long profession. Back then, I was just playing to make a buck and have a good time. And what a hell of a good time I had! LOL

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2002, 05:12:28 am »

>> But maybe the Wine folks have a bigger budget? :-)
FYI: Plans in the future:

when you use the buy button you must disclose what you drink beer or wine.

depending what you select the wine fokes will be directed to a $49.98 buy option and the beer users $24.98.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2002, 05:44:09 am »

And $9.99 specials for anyone who drinks Night Train, Thunderbird or Boone's Farms.

HTH

Listening to: 'Confirmation' by 'Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' on Media Jukebox

Gatobrit

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2002, 05:48:54 am »

King >> depending what you select the wine fokes will be directed to a $49.98 buy option and the beer users $24.98.

hehehe
Namaste,
John

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2002, 08:46:24 am »

>> And $9.99 specials for anyone who drinks Night Train
That may include 40 ouncer beers like "Colt, Magnum, King Cobra" etc..

In that case i will qualify for the discount depending on how full my wallet is at the time weather i can aford real beer or a 40 ouncer.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Shawn Rebelo

• World Citizen
  • Web, Multimedia Developer, Graphic Designer, ProgrammerFood, Music, Art
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2002, 11:35:53 am »

Labats Blue (Canadian) or Grolsch.
Shawn Rebelo
JRiver, Inc
Sr. Web Master

sekim

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2002, 04:19:48 pm »

FYI: Plans in the future:
when you use the buy button you must disclose what you drink beer or wine.

depending what you select the wine fokes will be directed to a $49.98 buy option and the beer users $24.98.

KS - Maybe $5.99 if you drink Hauenstein (I think that is how it is spelled). Local mouthwash from New Ulm I believe. Friend of mine from years ago used to pilfer his Dads beer when his ran low. Try a shot of battery acid and you get the idea. Used to be 3.99 a case -returnables.

mhorton

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2002, 05:40:11 pm »

Felinfoel Double Dragon

is quite good

as well as

most of those

listed above

sekim

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2002, 05:53:22 pm »

Michael,

I'm sure the one listed above your post isn't. I've seen this face by the unintiated.

mhorton

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2002, 06:23:04 pm »

the mention of Miller and Bud necessitated the use of "most" rather than "all" right from the get-go, but I fear that given the presence of torch-bearing villagers, Hauenstein must have learned his brewing technique from his cousin Frank

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2002, 07:55:50 am »

I find beer totally nauseating.  Must be hereditary, because my father was the same way.

Feeling left out...  

JohnT

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2002, 11:02:06 am »

Anchor Steam is a favorite, but too expensive here in Minnesota. Stuff from a local brewer called Summit such as Pale Ale, Winter Ale, and Porter are good. Guinness is good. For a hot summer day, a Leinenkuegel original goes down nicely. Some stuff called Summit Heffe Weiss tasted awful until I squirted some lemon in it, then it was a great refreshing summer beer.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up