INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumping into VPN!  (Read 1930 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Jumping into VPN!
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:13:22 am »

Well, it has been a quiet 4 weeks for me here and I'm sure it just wasn't the same with my day to day rants, etc.  Anyway, I'm finally back from finishing up for spring break and enjoying a relaxing 10 days of vacation...and back in one piece.

I'm now going to try to solve one of my biggest annoyances with data storage, with everyone's help.  So I have a lil' storage space at home on my server.  Then I have some space on campus computers.  My laptop has space.  And my flash drive provides sort of an in between space.  And of course my work computer ends up collecting things of mine over time.

Anyway, I'm really ready for a good solution to these problems.  What I seek is some very secure method to easily and conveniently access and directly manipulate files from my server in a secure, somewhat examined fashion.  Specifically, it should watch traffic on my shared folder(s) and if activity level increases significantly (which may indicate a breach), then access should be denied or password asked again.  Nowhere should it save my password nor should it ever be stored anywhere.

FTP doesn't work well with opening a Word .doc and directly clicking save.  I have had trouble with VPN.  Hamachi is okay but it doesn't work on non-admin rights computers.  And I've had problems with it in thep ast, too.

So I'm asking for a special, probably not yet created, solution.  An end all, complete solution...essentially what I want is VPN because then I can access anything on my network (including printers)...  Thanks!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Jumping into VPN!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:21:29 am »

Welcome Back Ben  :)

I'm not 100% certain what you're asking here.
If you've got a Windows Server machine it's pretty easy to setup
a VPN connection.  Alternatively use a VPN Router.

Maybe you're asking something else though?

robydago

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:58:21 am »

I used to use OpenVPN:

http://www.openvpn.net

it uses https\ssl and can traverse proxies\firewalls; version 2.1 (in RC7 now) can work in non-administrator mode.

But, AFAIK:
- current windows network (CIFS\SMB1) technology will always be a pain when used on slow (non LAN) links. I never tried them, but in theory SMB aware protocol accelerators (like the ones from Packateer) should make a real difference;
- SMB2 (Vista, Server 2008, Samba4) should give windows network a boost when used on slow links

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:25:39 pm »

Yup, OpenVPN is my preferred option also. I also tried Hamachi etc.

Now that I have my free w2k8 server (legit. ;) ) I may switch to the std MS VPN... when I get around to rebuilding my server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up