INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Re-sync Issues  (Read 12644 times)

SwellGuy

iPod Re-sync Issues
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:37 am »

Daylight Savings Time
We recently resolved a pillow fight we were having with iTunes generated dates related to Daylight Savings Time. This was resolved in MC 12.0.461.

Audio Analysis
We added a background operation to do audio analysis in a recent build. This calculates replay gain, peak level, intensity, etc and saves the results to MC's database but was also saving them to tags, which bumps Data Modified. MC then wants to re-sync any files where the Date Modified doesn't match the one on the iPod. A quick check of the files Date Modified will indicate if this is what is causing the re-sync status.

In build 12.0.463 we changed MC so it doesn't save these calculated values to the tags and therefore doesn't bump the Date Modified.

Handheld Cache - Stacks
We also migrated from a handheld cache system to a stacks-based caching system. This change will not flag files to be re-synced but it will have to re-convert files when they are re-synchronized. We are making some changes in MC 12.0.465 that will better preserve the older cache files if they haven't already been removed by MC.

In most cases you will have to re-sync your iPod to resolve the issue.

We apologize for this inconvenience and are working hard to get this system running smoothly again.

Robo983

• World Citizen
Re-sync Issues: not recognizing date modified change
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:54:26 pm »

Even though my problem is not an Ipod issue since it seems to be possibly related I posted it to this thread be let me know if I should have put this someplace else.

I just upgraded to MC462 to take advantage of the replay gain changes on my Rockbox h320 and h120s and also my Sansa Clip. Instead of re-analyzing all of my files I did an Update Tags (From Library). The date modified shows 3/25/2008.

I first sync'd my clip and noticed only the files I re-analyzed showed In Queue to transfer. Since it doesn't have replay gain I didn't think much of it. Now syncing my h320 and h120 the files that show as date modified on the desktop of 3/25/2008 but on the h320 as 11/24/2007 are only showing On Device not In Queue to transfer with the new tag info.

Is this a MC462 bug or do I need to do a manual drag an drop?

SwellGuy

Re: iPod Re-sync Issues
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:43:56 pm »

No. We only compare Date Modified to determine sync status for iPods - not for any other device types.

Robo983

• World Citizen
Non-IPOD HH, no Sync on Date Modified change
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:58:43 pm »

If other HH do not initiate a sync on Date Modified then what Triggers it? Seems other HH should trigger on this also. In the case of what I did, an Update Tags (From Library), update the Replay Gain Tags on my desk top I also want to reflect those on the HH. The tags were changed on the PC so why would the sync to a non IPOD not update those tags also on the HH?

Should I start a new thread for this?

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:15:04 am »

Just a plain resync or do you mean a restore and reload?
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:29:56 am »

Robo, we'll add an option for that.

dgoodrie, just resync.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:47:16 am »

Ok thanks, I do mean a resync not a reload. Some files may not change like the album art that is in the folder or other pictures I use MC to manage on the HH.

I do not know if it would make a differnence or complicate the feature but what about just updating the tag on the HH from the database if it changes rather than transferring? If the file has to be converted and is already converted on the HH but just needs the tags updated I would think that would be a huge efficiency. I tried to this but I get a failed response when I select all on the HH and do a Update Tags (From Library). I suppose that if it was more than the tag that change it could be a problem, say bit rate, then that wouldn't work. I cringe a little everytime I transfer files back and forth thinking of possible transfer errors. I suppose even changing the Tag on the HH loads the file into ram on the PC then transfers it back to HH.

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:04:36 am »

I did a resync and the issue is still open on my other post.
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

Dutch Peter

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Carpe Diem
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:34:18 pm »

Hi,
currently i am syncing mi iPod Classic 160 Gb.
I have updated the firmware tot 1.1.1, the latest.
I am converting al the files that are synced to the iPod.
Basically it is going well.
Only some songs have the status 'duplicate' in the Details Sync Screen.
Can anybody tell me what this means, and what i can do to solve it?
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

SwellGuy

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 02:03:39 pm »

Duplicate means that you are including that song in your sync more that once. You may be syncing two playlists that both contain the same song. MC will include the song in both playlists but it will only transfer the song once.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 02:10:15 am »

OK.
I should have much more duplicates, since I am syncing loads of playlists.
I will be checking my sync again.

Is there a max of playlists to transfer?

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:45:25 am »

Duplicate means that you are including that song in your sync more that once. You may be syncing two playlists that both contain the same song. MC will include the song in both playlists but it will only transfer the song once.

I checked and I think it is different. I had 10 songs indicating 'duplicate' because I had them all twice in my library with the same artist and song.
After removing them, the duplicates were gone. I am sure that many songs are in multiple playlists, but there is no indication of that.
On the other hand I am also sure MC handles this fine by transferring the song only once.

It would be nice to have an indicator in the syncscreen that tells us to which playlists a song belongs......
I guess that info is available after analyzing the sync.

mikel51

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 08:37:29 pm »

Well, today for the first time in a while, I tried to rescynch my Ipod after adding some new music (and after updating to the current version of Media Center).  As I now know-after reading this thread- the cache was missing from my ipod and it has to be rebuilt.

Rather than resynch right away, I am building a new cache.  I did point the cache to the same folder as the old cache.   But it is reconverting.  Hopefully I wont end up with duplicat mp3 from my lossless wma files.  About 1 1/2 hours into in, I am about 10% of the way through the conversions...and I hope when I am done, that Media Center will simply copy the converted files rather than reconvert them again.  I was hoping when I started MC would simply copy the mp3s from my ipod rather than reconverting >4000 files to mp3 format.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 06:09:55 am »

Images are not deleted if not in sync list.
I also think that the date modified is not (always) taken into account when syncing images.

I am using a iPod Classic 160 Gb (latest firmware: 1.1.1 and MC 12.0.490)  with 12.000 songs and 7.000 images. No video's yet.

SwellGuy

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 08:24:13 am »

Date modified is not used for images. Images are matched on name and file size.

We'll look into deleting images...

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 11:58:39 am »

Date modified is not used for images. Images are matched on name and file size.

OK.
That means, if I rename an album (which is the only way to organize images on the iPod), this is not recognized by the sync proces.
The only way to get the new album name on the iPod is to delete the images in that album (which is not as easy as it sounds, picking the right ones) and re-sync the iPod.

Another thing is that working on an image (color adjustment or red eyes reduction), this does only result in an resync if the filesize changes. Here the date modified would come in handy.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 12:22:55 pm »

SwellGuy,
since you fixed the video problem ..... is this the next on your list?
With the pictures I mean ...

SwellGuy

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 01:06:48 pm »

We're not sure how we could do that. Unlike audio files, images on the iPod don't have any metadata so reconciling images in MC with images on the iPod is really limited.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 03:29:53 pm »

We're not sure how we could do that. Unlike audio files, images on the iPod don't have any metadata so reconciling images in MC with images on the iPod is really limited.
Limited is better than nothing .....
Could you use date modified, or isn't that changed when a tag is changed in MC?

SwellGuy

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:08 am »

We're doing everything we can with the limited info now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 02:33:50 pm »

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:33 am »

Any chance of fixing my ipod video as being identified as an ipod nano? As it is, Media Center will transfer the files just fine, but no files show up on the ipod unless I let itunes rebuild the database, and I'd rather never have to use itunes at all. I've posted the info in the ipod identification thread, but apparently it just gets ignored.
Pages: [1]   Go Up