INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Problem Ipod Classic: Lock up on transfer  (Read 7928 times)

E.O.D.DJ

• Recent member
Sync Problem Ipod Classic: Lock up on transfer
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:39:10 am »

I've played around with the extent of my knowledge on what to do so I thought I would give a shout out to the community and see if anyone might be able to help. I have a 160gig Ipod classsic, current firmware and current version of Media Center. The problem I am having is that when I go to sync my music to my Ipod it will get a couple thousand songs into the list of what its updating and then it wants to lock up. Whats more is after locking up, even after forcefully restarting the program the files it transfered are on the player in the sense that it now shows the space used. But it does not show them within the ipod or the player. I am able to load up short bursts of songs into the player. A thousand or so at a time and then for some reason it will get stuck on uploading on one song and then just sit there indefinitely. I used Itunes to restore the Ipod and tried again, with the same problem. Not sure if its a media center problem or just a conflicting problem within my computer. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

System Info:
Media Center 12.0.462 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Core 1809 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1046 MB, Free - 198 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive E: MATSHITAUJ-832D           Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: MATSHITA UJ-832D            Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Device info dump for 'Apple iPod Classic (H:)':

WMDMName: CHRIS TOLLE (H:)
DeviceUID: $$?$storage#removablemedia#8&83a62b3&0&rm#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}$0
CanonicalName: \\?\storage#removablemedia#8&83a62b3&0&rm#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}$0
VendorName: ; VendorID: 1452
ProductID: 4705; FirmwareVersion: 1.62
WMDMSerialNumber: NULL
WMDMWriteOurOwnPlaylists:
DeviceType: 3; DeviceID: 8K736KPTYMX; DeviceName: Apple iPod; UnsupportedDevice: 0
IsDrive: 1; DriveLetter: H:; DrivePath: ; MainDriveLetter: H:
IsJanusCapable: ; IsIpod: 1;iTunesDBVersion: 28
SupportsAlbumArt: 1; AlbumArtEnabled: 1; CoverArtTagRule: 0; SaveCoverArtToFolderJPG:
GetPlayStatsFromDevice: 1; SupportsFolders: -1; PlaylistFormat: 0; EjectMode: 0; AlwaysPumpCOMMessages: 0
SupportedFileTypes: mp3;wav;mp4;aa;m4a;m4b;m4p;aiff;aif;bmp;jpg;jpeg;gif;tif;tiff;png;sgi;psd;mov;m4v
ContextMenus: Delete
MemoryTypes: Internal Memory
InstallURL:
ApplicationName: Media Center
ImageName: Apple iPod Classic (black)
RootBasePath:
AudioBasePath: Music\[Artist]\[Album]\
ImageBasePath: Images\
VideoBasePath: Video\
DataBasePath: Data\
PlaylistBasePath: ROOT\
DatabaseBasePath:
AudibleBasePath: Audible\
MatchKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image), Clean([Name], 3)[File Size, 0], [Name]Clean([Artist], 1)[Album][Genre]TrackNumber()[Media Type])
ChangeKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image), , [Rating][Composer])

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

SwellGuy

Re: Sync Problem Ipod Classic: Lock up on transfer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »

It could be a bad file. Try to isolate the file(s) by doing small syncs. Also, try sending files that don't require conversion to see if the problem is conversion or cache related.

You can clean up the iPod after a crash in MC by running "Initialize iPod" from the right-click menu.

E.O.D.DJ

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 02:15:39 am »

Well it continues to do it, but it finally gave me an error message that i've been able to use to track down some possible solutions: Windows Error "Write Delay Failure" There are a few posts on here and on the net about his problem. Most of which chalking it up to a faulty USB connection, a bit bit of surface area on the drive I'm writing from (or to?) Following up some of the suggestions I found with that though none of them have said conclusively this is how you fix it. Running Chkdsk on both drives looking for surface errors... on a 2TB hard drive... lol I'll see in a day or so after that finishes *Shakey Fist*

Of note, all the files i'm transfering are already mp3, no conversions necessary. And it locks up on different files each time. So I'm thinking its not a file locking it up.

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:20:31 pm »

The problem I am having is that when I go to sync my music to my Ipod it will get a couple thousand songs into the list of what its updating and then it wants to lock up. Whats more is after locking up, even after forcefully restarting the program the files it transfered are on the player in the sense that it now shows the space used. But it does not show them within the ipod or the player.
FWIW, I was having similar problems, but in my case the PC would spontaneously reboot rather than just hanging the app.  The problem went away after I installed a four-port USB card and connected the iPod to that instead of the on-board USB on my cheapo motherboard.

I suspect the inability to see the files on the iPod after a hang/crash is because the Pod's database wasn't closed cleanly, btw.
Pages: [1]   Go Up