INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to setup Multiple computers with NAS & MC12?  (Read 2421 times)

phsingl

• Recent member
  • Paul Singleton - New York's only Port Vale Fan
Best way to setup Multiple computers with NAS & MC12?
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:27:57 am »

Been a happy user of the MC series for sometime, but finally decided to start getting a bit more 'sophisticated' with my setup recenty. I have 3 computers and had historically had 3 local databases on each with MC12 (largely limited by HDD size on each).
I recently brought a NAS (QNAP TS-209) and have 2x 750GB in a RAID 1 setup.

I'd like to have a single database on the NAS with each of my PCs able to access it (1x laptop, 1x HTPC, 1x desktop)

I suspect that its not quite as simple as copying all my data to a shared directory on the NAS and then building a new library on each of my machines pointing to the NAS...

Does anyone have a view on the best way to achieve what I'm looking to do?

thanks, Paul.

phsingl

• Recent member
  • Paul Singleton - New York's only Port Vale Fan
Re: Best way to setup Multiple computers with NAS & MC12?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:37:14 am »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:43:19 am »

I think you're set with that wiki link.

The only thing to watch out for is to make sure MC doesn't look at D:\Media, but instead only looks at M:\.  Otherwise you could get duplicate database entries. (this is using the same sample path names as the wiki)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RiderFan

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:15:12 pm »

I have this setup exactly. I bought a Dlink 323 NAS box with 2 500gig SATA in RAID 1.

I moved all of my songs to "My Music" on my NAS drive. Then I setup a library on one of my PC's. I use UNC paths
\\Nas\Volume_1\My Music

Then, I stored MC library in "MC Library" on the NAS drive.

On my other PC's I just load up the library in "MC Library" using UNC paths, and there she goes. Works slick.

I have my upstairs PC loading the NAS library in read only mode as my 4 year old uses that PC, and I don't want any accidental deletions.

The trick is to use UNC paths (I prefer) or a mapped drive with the same drive letter on all PC's.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »

The only thing I'll add is if you've been used to using seperate mc libs on each client, sharing a single one is cool but bear in mind that any changes you make to the library on any of the clients will be lost when you close mc. Unfortunately, this means changes to playlists as well.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

RiderFan

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:44:16 am »

The only thing I'll add is if you've been used to using seperate mc libs on each client, sharing a single one is cool but bear in mind that any changes you make to the library on any of the clients will be lost when you close mc. Unfortunately, this means changes to playlists as well.
I'm a bit confused about this statement. I share 1 MC Library on my NAS with 4 different PC's and any changes I make to the library on any of my computers show up on all of my other computers when MC is restarted. That is what's so great about a shared library.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:18:46 am »

I'm a bit confused about this statement.

Sorry, the statement wasn't too clear. I was talking about multiple concurrent connections to the same library. The first instance of MC that loads the shared library gets write access. All other subsequent instances get a read-only copy of this library. So it's a case of first in, best dressed. This was stated in the wiki link above but I just trying to re-enforce the point.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

RiderFan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 03:43:28 pm »

Sorry, the statement wasn't too clear. I was talking about multiple concurrent connections to the same library. The first instance of MC that loads the shared library gets write access. All other subsequent instances get a read-only copy of this library. So it's a case of first in, best dressed. This was stated in the wiki link above but I just trying to re-enforce the point.
Yes, OK.
I have 2 PC's that I do all of my tagging with. And sometimes I have to VNC into the other PC to close MC12 so that I can have write access.

bhageman

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 02:00:30 pm »

Thanks for the Wiki link, but I have an additional playlist question that is similar but not covered here or in the Wiki:

I have three computers all accessing one NAS (M:\) with my complete music library. What I would like is to have the playlists sync across these machines too. They will all import the playlists that are on M:, but deletions or additions to the playlist seem to remain on the machine where the change was made unless I export the list back to M:. I only have MC running on one machine at a time, so the problem with one machine having write access is not the issue.

It works by exporting after each change, but it is definitely not an elegant solution. Is there a better way to keep my playlists synced across multiple machines? Any suggestions?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 03:05:01 pm »

Raym meant MC's internal database by the "Library". The trick is to share the media files and the database files so that all PCs use the same single database.

Here is a simplified example:

1. Map the shared folder with a drive letter (e.g. M:) on all PCs.

2. On one of the PCs create a new media library (aka database) under this M: letter. Use a folder name that is different from your media files base folder's name, like M:\MClibrary\

3. Import your media files from M: to this library.

4. On each other PC create a new library and point it to M:\MClibrary\. MC will automatically detect the existing library files when this library is loaded.

When a shared library (media database) is used MC will automatically load a read-only copy on startup if the library is already opened on another PC/MC instance. Only the first MC can save changes. If you want to use a different PC for saving changes you need to close all MC instances and open MC on that PC first.

It is possible to fix an existing local library so that it can be used as a shared library. Possibly you would need to make one or more Find and Replace operations for fixing the media files paths and naturally also relocate the library files. The Library Back Up / Restore tool can be used for the latter.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bhageman

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 04:37:23 pm »

That's what I needed. Many thanks!

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:09:09 pm »

I have a file server which keeps a shared MC library (and the media files) and 3 clients running MC12 using local libraries copied from the shared
I do all the tagging on one of the clients and copy (scripts similar to Glynor's) that local library over to the shared to keep it current.
I would like to move to simpler setup with one shared library where all the clients are connected.
My q's:
-- if I start 2 out of 3 clients with mc12.exe /LibraryReadOnly flag, will the 3rd instance connect with write privileges?
-- what about the play statistics? I guess it won't be updated from the read only clients?

Is there a simple way to have the play statistics collected from all clients? Streaming from the server I'd guess.. Yet to try it..

Thanks!
--max

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 04:41:05 pm »

When you say the library is read only, does that mean the Playcount won't be written everytime I play a media file?  I notice that I usually get the Updating Tags message everytime I exit MC12, whether or not I've edited Library info, so I'm assuming that's it.  I have a similar setup:

1. HTPC connected to a projector, holding all the media files
2. Office PC that has it's own library which accesses those files.  This is the one I usually work on the tags/library fields from.
3. Bedroom Laptop connected to a Plasma, strictly used for playing media.

I'd like to make the media folder on PC#1 the virtual drive containing the media and the library, set #1 and #3 to run as read-only, then run and maintain the library from #2.  Any problems with this setup?

Lastly, my video files have all been tagged on #1, and my audio has all been tagged on #2.  Is there any way to merge those into the single library so I don't lose all my changes and have to recreate everything in the new library?
Thanks,
-Tano

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56:37 am »

As someone who uses DLink 323's a lot, I am paranoid of their RAID because it is sw-based RAID, not HW.

Mirroring is fine, but striping is a real problem.  I had a RAID 0 volume that was fast, but when one drive died, the NAS could not tell me.

With mirroring, you are better off, but if one dies and you don't get notification, any problem with the second drive and you are really hosed.

I use standard drives, no RAID and I have 2 323's; one backs up to the other.

D-Link will be coming out with a 343 (4 drives); time will tell on that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up