INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Encoding higher resolutions for handheld - archos 704 - Resolved  (Read 933 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen

Is there anyway to select the resolution to which a video is encoded like you can with an image? I have an 800x480 handheld and it seems a waste to only encode to 240 lines. Is there possibly a settings or ini file somewhere i could change to encode to 800 x400 or 800x480?

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Re: Encoding higher resolutions for handheld - archos 704 - Resolved
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:20:13 am »

Ok,
    So I have an Archos 704. It has a screen resolution of 800x480, I bought it so i could watch video in high quality on the road. I couldnt wait to leverage MCs ability to convert on the fly all my Hi-def files to a format that this device would support without having to keep duplicates on my drive. I was dissapointed to find that I only had 3 options for encoding the files on the fly so I posted this question to the forum. After a few days with no response I again started trying to figure out how to do this myself. Turns out it was eaisier than i thought it would be.

In the plugins directory is a file called ffmpeg.xml
it contains the settings for the PSP encode profile (among others).
here is the line as it exists from JRiver

<psp>-y -i - -f psp -b 600k -s 320x240 -r 29.97</psp>

by changing it to this

<psp>-y -i - -f psp -b 1100k -s 720x480 -r 29.97  -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ab 160kb </psp>

I was able to generate files of high quality/resolution, that would play on my archos 704. Just select the encode to psp option. By changing the resolution setting this also works on my 504. Im sure that it can be altered to fit whatever portable device you have. I hope this helps someone else out there. If i can assit in any way, just let me know!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:16:50 am »

Thanks for documenting your solution.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 02:12:58 pm »

Happy to, With all the help I've recieved here i just hope someone finds it usefull.
Pages: [1]   Go Up