INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: file tagging speed between MC12 and MJ12  (Read 3276 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
file tagging speed between MC12 and MJ12
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

I am still seeing a large difference in file tagging speed between MC12 and MJ12 using the same size library, using hte same files.
MediaJukebox is relatively "snappy", instantly closing the edited tag and moving onto the next task, while Media Center will sit for 15 to 30 seconds or more once you finish an edit before allowing you to move on.

This is referring to in-line editing.
The behavior (lag time) is the same regardless of file type or whether the tag is saved in the file's tags or only in the library database.
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: file tagging speed between MC12 and MJ12
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:36 pm »

Maybe your MC library is corrupt.  You could try re-importing.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:16:48 pm »

Maybe your MC library is corrupt.  You could try re-importing.

Before I tried using MJ on this library I did create a new library and imported all my files fresh. I still had the lag.

When I installed MJ12 I restored a backup of this library from Media Center into Media Jukebox, so essentially they both are using the same library. MJ is not showing the lag.

This seemed to begin when I converted a copy of my Flac files into MP3 and added them to the library, making it quite large. But if I had hit a size limit "wall" then I'd expect MJ to react the same. 

?

One odditity I repeatedly see is at the end of an Import, "Analyzing Linrary 39537 files"
The library is much larger than that, and that number does not correlate to anything I can recognize (such as new imports). I have been seing this for some time, only a while back the number was 12,871 files.
Could this be some "junk" in the database that needs cleaning? Broken or left-over links?
. . . the game is rigged

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:23:49 pm »

Could this be some "junk" in the database that needs cleaning? Broken or left-over links?

Make a "Limit to database location: All" smartlist (~d=a) to see exactly what is in the database.  Make a backup before you remove anything.

You can also see (and remove if you like) any CD / DVD files with this smartlist: [Removable]=1 ~d=a

The JRiver database can handle a huge number of files, so if something is slow, it's more likely to be either a third party plugin, virus scanner, or a bug with the version of the player you're using.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:50:32 pm »

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Matt,
I cleaned out some stuff using the searches you posted, it seems to have helped but I will need to work with it to know for certain. Currently my flac drives are off-line, so while represented in the library the actual files are not present. I dunno if this matters (I expect not).

I know MC has an incredible database and can handle a great number of files, but does it go up to 11?  ;D

Oh and by the way, don't you guys ever go home or even sleep?

. . . the game is rigged

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 01:14:46 am »

Oh and by the way, don't you guys ever go home or even sleep?
SSHHHHH!!  :-X

They may remember they need sleep and have homes! That could slow down development!  :(

:P

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:32:16 am »

After using MC for some tagging I can see there was an improvement after cleaning out the stray info using ~d=a and [Removable]=1 ~d=a, but there is still a noticable lag in MC compared to MJ as well as more CPU usage.

. . . the game is rigged

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:05:39 am »

I have been repeatedly finding entries that do not belong using the search ~d=a

These entries exacty correlate to the files which I created using the Sync Handheld function to dupliate my Lossless files as mp3 versions. (this is several thousand files)
The only apparrent difference is that these files do not appear as having been imported, and as a result do not contain any of the tags which are saved only in the library rather than written in the file's tags.

After deleting these entries from the library, their 'real' files in my library still appear as they had prior, confirming that these are "phantom duplicates" of the same files.

Unfortunately, I have had to re-delete these entries as they re-appear after running an import. (Not on every import, but they have returned sporatically)

I also have not run the "Sync Handheld" function since these phantom dupes were initially deleted, but they returned anyway.
. . . the game is rigged

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:16:40 am »

I have been repeatedly finding entries that do not belong using the search ~d=a

These entries exacty correlate to the files which I created using the Sync Handheld function to dupliate my Lossless files as mp3 versions. (this is several thousand files)
The only apparrent difference is that these files do not appear as having been imported, and as a result do not contain any of the tags which are saved only in the library rather than written in the file's tags.

After deleting these entries from the library, their 'real' files in my library still appear as they had prior, confirming that these are "phantom duplicates" of the same files.

Unfortunately, I have had to re-delete these entries as they re-appear after running an import. (Not on every import, but they have returned sporatically)

I also have not run the "Sync Handheld" function since these phantom dupes were initially deleted, but they returned anyway.

The handheld engine creates temporary database entries.  So do a lot of other tools.  You're peeking under the hood with that smartlist.  Instead, you might just trust Media Center to handle things correctly.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 11:41:17 am »

The handheld engine creates temporary database entries.  So do a lot of other tools.  You're peeking under the hood with that smartlist.  Instead, you might just trust Media Center to handle things correctly.

I expect that is very good advise   ;)

I just do not know anything else I could check as to the cause of my tagging lag in MC vs MJ  ?
. . . the game is rigged

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:22:14 am »

BUMP
. . . the game is rigged

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 03:55:16 pm »

I do have this in-line tag editing lag-time as well. It takes about 2 or 3 seconds before I can edit the next file. As comparison I use mp3tag where it goes with absolutely no lag.

tom

rjm

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:54 pm »

I also see a delay after making a tag edit, but my experience is that it is nothing new. I have a fuzzy theory that it is due to an automatic refresh after each edit because the delay is almost identical to that I experience after doing a manual F5 refresh.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 02:32:26 pm »

Could be - but the smartlist (or whatsoever) is not updated - i.e. if you change artist name and the smartlist would filter by artist the currently edited song would stay in the list.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 11:56:02 pm »

I wouldn't know about the tagging as I use Tag & Rename. Maybe off topic but since we're talking about the library in regards to MC (458 or 462) vs MJ (37), I've seen differences in behavior between MC & MJ after the library has been imported. MC doesn't dog the hard drive like MJ does when using the same 12,500 track library (of course ... not at same time). I don't know what it's doing, and I would have to re-install MJ as this "discovery" was a couple weeks ago so I've forgotten the details. I thought it might have something to do with "Analyze Audio" selector in Library & Folders which by default is selected (which is the only possible post import function I see so I unchecked it ... no change in HD behavior). I guess with no hard data and reproducible steps this is of no use ... but there seemed to be a difference.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 08:38:32 am »

I've seen these delays for *certain* tags.

The tags that take a long time to in-place edit do a look-up and present a drop down menu *and* auto-complete, so i think this is what takes the time before an edit is allowed.

The Name field ototh is very quick, almost instantly can an in-place edit be performed.

So to test this theory, with MJ if you try to edit (F2) the Artist field (say) do you get a dropdown menu as well ?

I'm thinking no, but in MC you will see a dropdown menu, if you look to the right of the field and see the usual <-> that indicates a drop down menu.

Otherwise its something else  ?

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 02:40:56 pm »

... so i think this is what takes the time before an edit is allowed ...

No. Starting editing goes quick. Pressing enter then takes its time.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 05:06:30 am »

Tagging is taking a long time for me too recently (several minutes just to write out 40 or so photo tags). And often throwing errors about not being able to tag files because they are in use or disconnected. Sometimes it stops MC from being responsive at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up