INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIXED - slow ripping  (Read 1066 times)

gkerber

FIXED - slow ripping
« on: August 03, 2002, 07:10:59 pm »

I found that my cd-rom was not set for DMA.  It used to be....  And Windows would not let me get DMA working with the cdrom on the Secondary-Master.  So I rearranged things and put the cdrom as the Primary-Master and put my boot hd as the Primary-Master on the other IDE RAID (not set up for RAID) IDE controllers.

Presto, the cdrom now IS DMA (verified in System) and ripping AND encoding works up to 20x near the end of the disk.  Prior to these changes the best I could get was 10x.  I have no idea why I had to make these changes to get DMA working on the cdrom.  Did I ever say I hate computers.....

And now I can rip AND play music from the same hd and rip up to 20x.

Did I ever say I hate computers...

gkerber

RE:FIXED - slow ripping
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 07:17:00 pm »

That fix lasted about 10 minutes.

Now without touching anything, the cdrom has reverted back to PIO Mode an ripping is slow again.

I really really do hate computers.

gateley

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 08:19:41 pm »

>Did I ever say I hate computers...

I haven't said that... in the last 15 minutes.
My coworker Bob (who doesn't hang out here, and is incredible with hardware, says it regularly).

Why is Media Jukebox slow at ripping while the other programs you mentioned (in a different thread) fast? It could be that the cdrom was running with DMA while they were running, and magically switched off for MJ. (I'm pretty sure that MJ will not switch off this setting.)

I think you may have an intermittent hardware failure (this is the worst kind of problem in the world, it is almost impossible to track down). Can you find a friend to have a "testing party" and swap everything you can think of to track it down?

What kind of PC do you have, and what OS? In particular, if you have a PC from, for example, HP, say "I've got the Hewlett Packard version of XP"

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 08:25:30 pm »

Yes, all programs rip slowly with PIO mode and fast with DMA mode.  It's switching off by itself...  Now I need to figure out if it's MJ doing it or not.  I've got it set to DMA now and will not use MJ for a while, I'm using EAC now.  You are right, intermittent problems are the worst.

I've got a home built computer, Abit KT-7 motherboard with an AMD 2000|PLS| processor and a TDK 32x burner.

EAC in secure mode is painfully slow, but I understandy why, all the rereads.

gateley

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 09:31:17 pm »

I don't know how to say this tactfully so: if you are not running a legit version of Windows then all bets are off. You can't be sure that the version you are running is a good one, and even if it is, the crack you used may have damaged the OS (or tripped a crack detection trap).

If you have a legit version, please ignore this message and accept my apologies.

j

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2002, 09:45:14 pm »

Kind of hard to have a copy of XP without it being "legit" what with the required registraton....

gateley

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2002, 10:26:27 pm »

No, it's not :^)

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up