INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few WMP11 inspired feature requests...  (Read 4655 times)

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
A few WMP11 inspired feature requests...
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:35:13 am »

As annoying as WMP11 can be, I think MS got a few things right.  Here are a few features I'd like to see in MC at some point.

1. Option to make the group font size smaller.  I feel like the existing font is way larger than it needs to be and wastes a lot of space.

2. The ability to go directly from artist thumbnails to a grouped list of albums like in WMP 11.  Basically, if you are at your artist thumbnail view, double click on an artist and the current view switches to one which lists all songs by that artist in detail view grouped by album.  I realize it is possible to do this with the 'Always Show Files' Option, but I would really love to be able to do all this in a single view because having two views eats up too much screen space.

3. Ability to select all members of a group by clicking on the large thumbnail.  Should work with right click and left click.

4. Add the ability to place thumbnail text to the right the thumbnail instead of only bellow.

5. Add the ability to make thumbnail text 'hot linked' (just try clicking on thumbnail text in WMP 11, you will see what I mean.)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: A few WMP11 inspired feature requests...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:18:22 am »

3. Ability to select all members of a group by clicking on the large thumbnail.
Hahaha... I can't tell you how often I do that! It's so intuituve to do that... so, yeah, this gets my vote!

maoz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:23:20 am »

Me too...
Good additions... Thanks

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:26:33 am »

Hahaha... I can't tell you how often I do that! It's so intuituve to do that... so, yeah, this gets my vote!

Yes, I've done that same thing several times... haha.

the-order

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:55:25 am »

Yea, I would love to have all these features put into Media Center, those are really all I miss from WMP11.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:40:28 pm »

I thought of one more to add to the list...

In the area above the view window where it currently says 'Pane', 'Artist', 'Album', etc... Could be turned into a WMP11 style location bar.

For example, it might read: Audio >> Artists >> The Hush Sound

I feel like that might give a better indication of where exactly you are in your library.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:41:08 pm »

2. The ability to go directly from artist thumbnails to a grouped list of albums like in WMP 11.  Basically, if you are at your artist thumbnail view, double click on an artist and the current view switches to one which lists all songs by that artist in detail view grouped by album.  I realize it is possible to do this with the 'Always Show Files' Option, but I would really love to be able to do all this in a single view because having two views eats up too much screen space.

Am I missing something?
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/4/3/30/f_pf1m_e0e5201.png

http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/4/3/30/f_pf2m_e57ffb5.png

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/3/30/f_pf3m_4bf468f.png
(Ignoring the peculiar weird thing that happens if you use the search that no one understands, that is there to make life easier for dumb people)

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:50:02 pm »

Am I missing something?

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/3/30/f_pf3m_4bf468f.png
(Ignoring the peculiar weird thing that happens if you use the search that no one understands, that is there to make life easier for dumb people)
I think you are missing something. 

I want to go from an artist thumbnail view directly to a detail list of songs by that artist grouped by album.

EDIT: I will try to upload some WMP11 screenshots later...

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 12:53:15 pm »

I uploaded the wrong screenshot bear with me...

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 12:59:22 pm »

Sorry should have looked like this:

http://img31.picoodle.com/img/img31/4/3/30/f_pf3m_740f8e0.png

That's 2 clicks..., and you're filtered down to the files of a particular album?

Alternatively you could click File straight on Pink Floyd to get all albums in a detailed view.

I'm probably still missing something!   ::)

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 01:22:18 pm »

I realize it is possible to do this with the 'Always Show Files' Option, but I would really love to be able to do all this in a single view because having two views eats up too much screen space.

And its possible to do it the way you mentioned.  But, what I am looking for is that file/detai lview to take over the thumbanil windows instead of popping up at the bottom of the screen.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 01:49:49 pm »

It is possible to create a view scheme scheme in which the only view item is [Album Artist (auto)].  (...or the last view item)

Then a double-click on an artist thumbnail will open a track list view. This opens as a thumbnail view, but that can be changed to "details". After that the thumbnail mode sticks in the Artist view and the details mode sticks in the track list view.

However, album grouping is not possible in this kind of list view. It works only in a bottom file list. Maybe this is just a mishap and JRiver could easily fix it.

(Do I need to post screenshots or is this clear?)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 02:17:52 pm »

It is possible to create a view scheme scheme in which the only view item is [Album Artist (auto)].  (...or the last view item)

Then a double-click on an artist thumbnail will open a track list view. This opens as a thumbnail view, but that can be changed to "details". After that the thumbnail mode sticks in the Artist view and the details mode sticks in the track list view.

However, album grouping is not possible in this kind of list view. It works only in a bottom file list. Maybe this is just a mishap and JRiver could easily fix it.

(Do I need to post screenshots or is this clear?)
I can't seem to get this to work...  Double clicking on an artist just opens up the bottom file list for me.

EDIT: Got it to work....

I set set up a view scheme with 'Album Artist (auto)' as the first item, then 'Name'.  I now get the behavior you describe.  It's pretty close to the behavior of WMP11, even without grouping.  Thanks for the tip!

EDIT2: Actually, this method doesn't work very well, when you double click a song it only opens up the file view at the bottom.

Can you describe exactly how you got your method to work?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 02:30:14 pm »

Sorry, my description was incomplete.

You need to add the Name field to the view items. Then it will jump from Artist to the next item which shows individual tracks.

(edit: as you found out...)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 02:43:05 pm »

EDIT2: Actually, this method doesn't work very well, when you double click a song it only opens up the file view at the bottom.

Can you describe exactly how you got your method to work?

Personally, I don't use it.

Maybe it doesn't work for you if want to use double-click for starting playback. Though right-click > Play should work.

I prefer to see the tracks in the bottom list. I am constantly adjusting the splitter position when I browse through the library. I.e. when I want to see more tracks I drag the splitter up and vice versa. I double-click the splitter to quickly close the bottom list when I need to get more room for the thumbnails.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

Personally, I don't use it.

Maybe it doesn't work for you if want to use double-click for starting playback. Though right-click > Play should work.

I prefer to see the tracks in the bottom list. I am constantly adjusting the splitter position when I browse through the library. I.e. when I want to see more tracks I drag the splitter up and vice versa. I double-click the splitter to quickly close the bottom list when I need to get more room for the thumbnails.
Hmmm, yeah.  That does work its just not very intuitive which is what I'm trying to achieve more than anything else.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 10:30:43 am »

Is there any particular reason why in an Album view the file list can only be resized to fill about 80% of the screen, unlike in say, Playing Now where it can fill the whole screen?

I think this is basically what Vulcan is asking for, and I know I would find it useful on occasions too.  You go to drag it up and just nearing the top it stops you, leaving a small and hence totally useless albums view there...certainly on my laptop screen I'd like to be able to have the whole screen for the file list.

EDIT: And of course, anywhere else in the program where there are draggable bars, they can be dragged all the way/double clicked to fill up the screen/completely hide something.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »

Maybe so its clear that you are *not* in Playing Now ?

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 06:50:47 am »

Think it's easy enough to tell where you are.
You could then say that you shouldn't be able to hide the top bar, leaving only the file list, when looking at a playlist...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 09:26:19 am »

What about if the vertical grabber is maximised to the extreme left ?

ie no tree visible.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 02:16:42 pm »

have the devs taken note of these requests?

Just checking  ;)

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 06:13:07 pm »

I second the vote on option 4.  I really want to see text to the right of the thumbnail, not underneath.  See a previous topic thread on WMP11's expanded tile view.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46385.0

MC just doesn't handle this quite well yet. (I don't want to group songs, I want the same view as the standard detail view but with larger thumbnails.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »

I second the vote on option 4.  I really want to see text to the right of the thumbnail, not underneath.  See a previous topic thread on WMP11's expanded tile view.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46385.0

MC just doesn't handle this quite well yet. (I don't want to group songs, I want the same view as the standard detail view but with larger thumbnails.)

Pick Group > Album in any library view.

It shows a big thumbnail with all the details to the right.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 12:07:28 am »

As per request #1, can we please get an option to make the group font size smaller?

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 03:53:27 am »

That still doesn't do what I'd like.  I don't want my songs grouped, album or otherwise.  All I really want is the detail view but with larger album art thumbnails...

For example, when you hover over a song in the library, a pane shows up that has large cover art and then all the song details to the right of it.  That would be perfect for the default library view.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 08:25:46 am »

That still doesn't do what I'd like.  I don't want my songs grouped, album or otherwise.  All I really want is the detail view but with larger album art thumbnails...

For example, when you hover over a song in the library, a pane shows up that has large cover art and then all the song details to the right of it.  That would be perfect for the default library view.

You can add the large thumbnail column to any view.  It is fully sizable.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

echamp1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 01:08:13 pm »

That only works if they are grouped together by art, and then the art just crosses fields and stops before a full album is covered... still not what I want.  If you have itunes, take a look at the grouped with artwork view (the middle view tab).  That is exactly what i want.  Each song individually tiled with large art and no grouped songs together in any way. 

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 04:02:05 am »

A screen grab would make this easier to understand.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 09:12:35 pm »

I just wanted to bump this thread and say I'd still like to see some of these features at some point.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up