INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Album Art problem [solved]  (Read 1002 times)

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
New Album Art problem [solved]
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:00:59 pm »

Love the new album art feature in V12.0.468.

However, when taking it for a test run, I tried an album.  the result showed two images: My album art, which was lousy, and the database's best image, which was much better.  I clicked on "save album art," and received a notice saying there was a tagging error, that I need to check that the files exist, were read only or were in use by another program.  Then my existing album art disappeared.

I tried this with another album and got the same error message.  the existing album art did not disappear, but the new album art showed up for only one or two of the songs, while the rest stayed the same.

Anyone else seeing the same?

And now, time for One Shining Moment. 
johnh

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: New Album Art problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:32:43 am »

You explained what happened, but you didn't say anything about what you have

1) Did you select all album files before the lookup? MC writes the Image File field to each library file separately.

2) What are your cover art options in Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art ?

3) What is the audio file format?

4) Where are the files located? Are they on a local hard drive and is the library (=MC's database) local? What is the filename path structure? Are the filenames anyhow special?

5) "there was a tagging error, that I need to check that the files exist, were read only or were in use by another program"

Did you check these things (mainly the last)?  Is it possible that some other program like a virus checker blocked the file access?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: New Album Art problem
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:36:57 am »

thanks for the response, and I'll try to get additional details when I get home from work tonight.

To try things out, I opened up selected albums and selected all the songs on the album.  I didn't select a large group of files from multiple albums or artists, just to test at first.

After I selected all the files from an album, I right clicked "Get From Internet."  For some albums, the feature worked in no time flat, and I confirmed that the larger, better .jpg files had indeed been saved.  For some, there was no album art on the database, so I right clicked "Submit to Internet."  When I clicked "Get from Internet" again on these same files, I saw my cover art had successfully uploaded to the database.  Looks like I have some positive additions to make to the database in the next few weeks.

My files are all on a local hard drive and the MC database is local too.  All of my files are MP3s and FLACs, as I switched from Vorbis and APE a few years ago.  I am almost certain that the problems arose with MP3 files but I need to check tonight.  I use the standard "artist - album - track # - song title" format.

My cover art options are to save the cover art in the file itself.

I was able to replicate the problem for several albums, where trying to save a better album image resulted in the existing album art being deleted and the new album art failing to save.  For other albums, things worked fine.  Unfortunately, I'm at the office so will have to report back tonight to see if I see the same thing and can run some better tests.  I wasn't running any other software at the time that may have been using the files (a virus checker is always a possibility, but hadn't activated a scan).  I suspect with the help of morning caffeine that the problem may have been that I was synching my Ipod at the time.  I really doubt that the problem files were among those being synched, because I went through the recent deal where due to the software update all my files were resynched this past weekend.  But, that could be the problem, and I'll check tonight and report back.

J
johnh

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: New Album Art problem [solved]
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:36 pm »

Problem is not showing up again.  I guess there may be a hiccup to trying to save tags to files when the Ipod is synching??

Still, love the new cover art system.  adding a lot of my covers....
johnh
Pages: [1]   Go Up