INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converted Files and Stack  (Read 762 times)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
Converted Files and Stack
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:30:33 am »

I'm a bit confused about iPod converted file cache and/or stacks. Perhaps somebody can shed some light. I've configured MC to convert my video files to iPod native format. The original format in my library is usually MPG. I have enabled cache and use the default settings to save the cache files to the same location as the originals. One the files have been converted and sync'd to my iPod I can see the converted MP4 files in the folder as I would expect. What I would like to do is to delete the original MPG files and just retain the MP4 to conserve space. The files in question are just recorded TV shows that I watch while on the go and usually delete within a few weeks anyway. I will continue to save my other videos as MPGs for quality reasons.

I wrote a utility to check for the presence of any MPG files with a matching MP4 and it will simply delete the MPG files to free up space. I guess because of the way the cache works once the original MPG file is deleted the entry is removed fro my library. I guess I can understand this to a certain extent. If the original file is gone the cached file would be ignored. My questions are:

1) Am I correct in assuming that the MP4 (cache) files will be ignored in future imports?
2) Can I force re-import these files as new files? Can a tag be cleared, etc? I guess I could configure my utility to rename the MP4 slightly and perhaps it would be detected as a completely new file. Yes/No.
3) I there away in MC or does anyone know of a utility that can be configured to watch a folder or set of folders and convert to MP4 without having to manually open a converted, select files or folders and convert? I'd love to just schedule a task to convert all MPGs in a folder to MP4s before importeing to MC

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up