INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 Soundbridge and DRM  (Read 1014 times)

jamarotta

MC12 Soundbridge and DRM
« on: April 05, 2008, 04:24:35 pm »

I've been using MC for some time with my Roku Soundbridges and everything has worked fine until today. I downloaded a couple of songs from the ITunes store for the first time and added them to my MC12 (12.0.451) library. They are .M4A and .M4P formats. I can play them directly in MC12 without any problem. However when MC12 serves them to my Rokus via its library server and I try playing from the Roku they will not play and just hang. I do not want to switch my music server to ITunes (also compatabile with the Rokus) as MC12 is a much better product. Any thoughts out there?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC12 Soundbridge and DRM
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:36:11 pm »

I don't mean to be smart, but consider switching to the Amazon MP3 store.  The Apple store wraps the files in DRM.  MC can play them locally with Quicktime, but can't convert them to MP3 for the Roku.

I think that the Roku may be able to play the files with DRM.  Have you tried doing one with iTunes, then switching back to MC?

jamarotta

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:56:52 pm »

Thanks. That would seem to make sense (explains why I can play the files with MC12 on the PC but not on the Roku). Didn't realize MC was trying to convert the files for Roku (and have read that DRM prohibits conversion).  I was hoping to avoid having to run two music library servers i.e. MC12 and Itunes. Yes, Roku will play the file via the ITunes library server but not via the MC12 server.

Will look into the Amazon store. Perhaps MC in a future release will be able to serve up the DRM files?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:00:32 pm »

Will look into the Amazon store. Perhaps MC in a future release will be able to serve up the DRM files?
When Apple starts being nice, we'll do it.  (We need their cooperation, and it's unlikely we'll ever get it.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up