INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Ubuntu (Linux) pro's out there?  (Read 6767 times)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Any Ubuntu (Linux) pro's out there?
« on: February 27, 2008, 02:42:32 am »

Trying to install 7.10 x64 in a dual boot with XP x64 (which runs fabulous). Items that count are a Intel DP35DP MoBo, 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, and a BFG-NVidia 8800GT video card. I get to the point where the hollow x comes up, where it then tells me in running in low rez mode. Any option I pick (VGA mode, vesa, NVidia 8xxx drivers) or just leaving the current settings kicks me back out to "DOS" (which is normal) but then appears to hang forever (not normal). I've read about NVidia dual DVI cards where the driver tries to send the video out to the VGA port even when there isn't one. All the fixes seem to be for hard drive installations ... I can't get that far. I need to slipstream the latest NVidia Linux drivers into the build and re-ISO. The 32 bit Ubuntu comes up fine in "Live" (uninstalled) mode on the other comp. Anyone have some ideas? Total Linux noob here.

Done with MS OS'es after XP. Vista looks to be udder crap. Even though this may be dated, and some issues corrected, this should make you think twice if you haven't downgraded to it yet, or make you wish you hadn't if you have ...

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

johnnyboy

Re: Any Ubuntu (Linux) pro's out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:19:52 pm »

When you do the install, there's actually an option somewhere as you go along in the install that says use low graphics mode or something similar (cant remember what exactly).
You have to use this option to do the install, once it is up then you can start configuring the graphics to work fine.

I have a 7600GT and it works fine for me.

xen-uno

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:16:07 pm »

Right ... but it hangs even if I set it to stay in low rez mode. I have the alternate ISO now (looks something like a DOS install), which installs fine. Problem there is that the Grub boot software is not writing to the boot C: drive properly ... the dual or higher boot screen does not come up ... just goes right into XP. So now I've been playing with the Super Grub Disk (a bootable Linux disk), which should allow me to either correct the dual boot situation, or boot right into the hard disk resident Ubuntu install. It does neither as the multi boot screen comes up on hard disk bootup, but it can't find the Ubuntu install, and won't kick into XP either. Getting a little frustrated here but I won't give up ...

johnnyboy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:01:45 pm »

Glad to hear you're not going to give up.

I suggest going on efnet (mIRC) and going into #Ubuntu
They should be able to help you in there. I've never had any problems personally.

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:39:18 am »

Got it ...

Supergrub had the wrong disk parameters for all the boot entries... using hd(3,2) when Ubuntu was on hd(1,2) and XP on hd(0,0)

High rez works now too ...

Once I unchecked all the CD-ROM entries in System>Administration>Software Sources, Ub was forced to go to the 'net. That made it possible to install latest NVidia drivers. http://www.robdian.co.uk/content/view/56/27/ was indispensable for driver setup.

So where's that MC12 Linux build at? ... just around the corner?

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:20:39 pm »

Hey uno

Nice to see ya again.

You need to stop in more often.

Glad you got it working.

Been running Ubuntu for a couple years now.

I think youll like it.

If youre looking for a music player/mgmt, try " Listen, just listen "

Its in add/remove or Synaptic.

So where's that MC12 Linux build at? ... just around the corner?

;D

Maybe one of these days. Im sure they are doing some thinking on this.

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:38:59 pm »

Good to see you again too. Modern, fast hardware makes everything more interesting, so I'll be around more. That's a 10-4 on Listen. Best Linux player by far so far interface wise ... compared to XMSS and Quod Libet. The only app I've successfully played mpc's on is VLC. Listen is supposedly able, but I'll be damned if I can get it to work ... they won't import or play. Ubuntu sees the files as music, at least according to the icons. I haven't tried them all yet, but if JRiver did build a limited Linux MC (as in just the music, library, and device x-fer functions), they'd clean up I think.

Compiz Fusion is neater than hell. Been playing around with the various plugins. It does it in tens of MB's what takes Vista hundreds. Most things work here, except the Scan functionality with an Epson AllInOne printer (CX7800), XBox 360 controller, and Flash playback in FF. Gnash needs further work and Flash Player doesn't want to install on x64 Ubuntu.

Ubuntu (the most graphical Linux AFAIK) is surely not for computer illiterate if there's a problem. The hangups I ran into would have sent most people running to their mother. Major problems have been solved, and it has been supremely stable (so has x64 XP to be fair).

I did go ahead and order a MAudio 2496, tho it wasn't really necessary. I was get a dirty, crackling sound on the higher frequencies when running off the on-board audio (Sigmatel). After splicing in RCA's, the problem was still there. Turns out that it's the Sansui amp ... after it's been on for an hour or so the cracking goes away, and I'll have to say the onboard audio is pretty damned good.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 05:43:44 pm »

but if JRiver did build a limited Linux MC (as in just the music, library, and device x-fer functions), they'd clean up

I agree.

I would also like to see something on the HTPC end, but that would be asking to much.

Hey on your Epson Scan prob., Try this:

In Terminal

sudo sane-find-scanner

(This will give you the Product ID and Device ID)

Then

sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/epson.conf

(add the IDs at the bottom)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 05:51:35 pm »

johnnyboy

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 06:57:06 pm »

Compbiz is AWESOME!!
I have mine set to choose random animations for all enlarge and minimise operations and so it mixes in that burning effect with checkered disappearing, folding, etc. etc

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 10:53:56 pm »

Griff,
Think The Little Engine That Could.

Dont you mean the "The Little Engine That Did " ?

;)

It all on MS.

(The Swiss Army Knife)

Im not going to beat on your door, about this.

You get enough, everyday.

If it comes, then Ill be thankfull

Thanks for a great product

xen-uno

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:52:14 am »

I did a bit of informal processor and OS benchmarking ... if you like that sort of thing as true geeks (vs posers) do ...

E6750 (2.66 GHz C2D w/ 4MB shared L2) vs E8400 (3.00 GHz C2D w/ 6MB shared L2) Intel CPU's:

Rhinoceros v3.0 (x32) with Flamingo (v1.1) ray-trace render of Steeler logo on XP x64:
Time to complete render ...
@ 640 x 480 >> E6750: 3 sec    E8400: 3 sec
@ 1920 x 1200 >> E6750: 20 sec    E8400: 16 sec
@ 3840 x 2400 >> E6750: 125 sec    E8400: 90 sec

7-zip v4.57 x64 (Win version has GUI where as Ubuntu version is command line ... used file-roller as front end for it):

Benchmark function (XP only, 1 pass) ...
E6750 >> CPU usage: 184%, Rating/Usage: 2692 MIPs, Rating: 4947 MIPs
E8400 >> CPU usage: 185%, Rating/Usage: 3153 MIPs, Rating: 5806 MIPs

Time to compress to zip (max comp setting ... read/write to NTFS partition) ...
379 MB of mp3's >> XP-E6750: 32 sec    Ubuntu-E6750: 26 sec    XP-E8400: 32 sec    Ubuntu-E8400: 23 sec << final zip size for all was 378MB
400 images (94 MB of jpg & png) >> XP-E6750: 19 sec    Ubuntu-E6750: 11 sec    XP-E8400: 17 sec    Ubuntu-E8400: 10 sec << final zip size for all was 84 MB

I'll try some heavy GIMP filters (which is x-platform) here soon ...

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:48:18 pm »

Well,

Been waiting on your report.

Are you running 7.10 or 8.04 64 bit ?

Hope you stick around.

Griff

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 06:26:54 am »

Hay Griff ...

XP x64 runs so well that I backburnered Linux. 8.04 x64 broke a lot of things that worked fine under 7.10 x64 but it's been a few months since I've booted Ubuntu, so shirley there should be a ton of updates. If not, I might do a clean install (good practice too). Report? On the GIMP benchmarking? Will do soon ...

Ever noticed that MC's frame snaps to the desktop edges? .. a definite Linux trait. There was something else that was rather Linuxy but can't put finger on it ATM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up