INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Single Photo View"  (Read 3495 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Single Photo View"
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:40:07 pm »

As I described in the main Photo Handling thread, one of the main things holding me back from using MC exclusively for photo organization is the lack of a "single photo view" - a mode where you are viewing a single photo at a time that takes up the entire file list/thumbnail area and you can arrow up/down to move on to the next/previous photo.  This is especially useful when reviewing photos that you have just imported to see which ones to keep.  You can kind of achieve this now with the thumbnail slider but it is a bit clunky (the view does not zoom in on the currently selected photo and you have to struggle to find it).  It would be great to be able to double-click on a photo (or some other shortcut) and jump right to the single photo view.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: "Single Photo View"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:20:21 pm »

Actually that is there. It's called Playing Now. ;)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:21:34 pm »

Along that same line, you can increase the thumbnail size to where ezch photo takes up the entire page, and then save that view scheme.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:00:53 pm »

Actually that is there. It's called Playing Now. ;)

Well, not really.  Playing Now (I assume you mean the full screen view) doesn't let me tag the files and has no concept of a "selection".

Along that same line, you can increase the thumbnail size to where ezch photo takes up the entire page, and then save that view scheme.

I see that it does maintain the thumbnail size per view scheme but I want to easily be able to go back and forth between the thumbnail view and "single photo view" in various view schemes so this won't really work for me.

I guess all I really need is a shortcut to push the thumbnail slider all the way to the right and put the selected file in the view.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:45:46 pm »

Well, not really.  Playing Now (I assume you mean the full screen view) doesn't let me tag the files and has no concept of a "selection".

that is where i tag my photos, in playing now. so i guess i dont understand what you mean.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 04:34:18 pm »

that is where i tag my photos, in playing now. so i guess i dont understand what you mean.

Sorry, I meant adding Keywords in Tagging Mode with a view pane. 

I see that you can use the Action Window to do this in Playing Now so this is very close.  I guess the only issues I see with this is that I don't see the "Send To" item in the right-click menu if I want to edit the Image from Playing Now.  Also if I hit next several times to scroll through a bunch of the images, I don't have the selection of the current image when I go back to the view scheme (I have to scroll through the images to find the one marked with the Playing icon).  But this is very close...

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:48:13 pm »

Panes are your friend....

Set them up side by side (or one on top of the other), dbl-click in the 'tagging' pane to instantly play (check setting for this of course) in the playing now pane. If your settings are correct, your 'focus' wont move away from your tagging window, you get to see the image in a large window, and you should be able to tag with a smile-on-your-dial. :)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:13:24 pm »

Panes are your friend....

Set them up side by side (or one on top of the other), dbl-click in the 'tagging' pane to instantly play (check setting for this of course) in the playing now pane. If your settings are correct, your 'focus' wont move away from your tagging window, you get to see the image in a large window, and you should be able to tag with a smile-on-your-dial. :)

Do you mean to use a "split view"?  If so, I don't really want the empty Playing Now view when I'm just browsing normally plus the file list takes up some real estate.

I know, I'm hard to please  :).  Thanks to all of you for all the ideas.

I'm still lobbying for the shorcut for a sinlge file view (automatically push the slider all the way to the right and display the selected file).  What about a middle-click on a file does this?  Maybe?  Pretty please?

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 01:31:41 am »

I do mean a split view, and you are hard to please :P

You can avoid the playing now file list, but just dragging the PlayingNow Pane's splitter all the way down, so you end up with your tagging pane, and a full pane image in the playing now pane...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:02:54 am »

There's another way to do this that doesn't require a split view.

Go to the Panes option menu, choose Options->Panes On Left

Then drag your thumbnail slider all the way to the right.

The result is pic 1 below.

Click on the image and press up and down and it moves from pic to pic. On my monitor with my resolution (1680x1050) it always shows just one pic at a time.

You can even close the tree if you want. (pic 2 below)

Or, close the panes and open up the Tag AW (pic 3 below)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:31:44 am »

Next build:
Changed: When expanding thumbnail sizes, the view will center on the selected item if it's visible instead of the center of the viewport.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 09:55:58 am »

Next build:
Changed: When expanding thumbnail sizes, the view will center on the selected item if it's visible instead of the center of the viewport.

Thanks!

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 10:13:30 am »

Maybe the issue could be simplified a bit... I'm sure most of us posting here are aware that with all of MC's options and split views and panes and sliding thumbnails, you can create some pretty awesome views for any occasion -- playback or tagging.

...but many don't know how to set up a view scheme properly and put the panes on the left and playing now on the right. Many don't know how to set up a view scheme to achieve a particular goal, be it tagging or filtering.

I've seen new users struggle a lot with MC... that's not a criticism at all, rather a testament to it's customisability and diversity, and they are always pleasantly surprised when those little simple things are explained to them. But perhaps that's the problem, it needed explaining....

Case in point, reading doof's example above... that seems like an almost-perfect solution for cncb's request!! But I've used MC for years and I never even thought of doing it that way :P Relatively recently have I started using split panes even!

While I certainly wouldn't want to be accused of being a Picasa wh0re (;)) I really do think they got that aspect right. If you look at some of the comparison images in my photo handling thread, you can see that any possible command for an image is right at your fingertips when you open up the image... tagging could just be another tab in MC in this sort of view. It is nice when you try a new piece of software and it just works... without having to go through the rigmarole of setting up that perfect view scheme first.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

Maybe the issue could be simplified a bit... I'm sure most of us posting here are aware that with all of MC's options and split views and panes and sliding thumbnails, you can create some pretty awesome views for any occasion -- playback or tagging.

...but many don't know how to set up a view scheme properly and put the panes on the left and playing now on the right. Many don't know how to set up a view scheme to achieve a particular goal, be it tagging or filtering.

I've seen new users struggle a lot with MC... that's not a criticism at all, rather a testament to it's customisability and diversity, and they are always pleasantly surprised when those little simple things are explained to them. But perhaps that's the problem, it needed explaining....

Case in point, reading doof's example above... that seems like an almost-perfect solution for cncb's request!! But I've used MC for years and I never even thought of doing it that way :P Relatively recently have I started using split panes even!

While I certainly wouldn't want to be accused of being a Picasa wh0re (;)) I really do think they got that aspect right. If you look at some of the comparison images in my photo handling thread, you can see that any possible command for an image is right at your fingertips when you open up the image... tagging could just be another tab in MC in this sort of view. It is nice when you try a new piece of software and it just works... without having to go through the rigmarole of setting up that perfect view scheme first.

I just started a new thread with my thoughts on how to address at least part of this issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 07:45:55 am »

Build 481 has a change in how the thumbnail slider works.  It's an attempt to help with the problem discussed in this thread.  It's #1 on the list of changes for that build.

[build # tweaked by Matt]

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:53 am »

This is looking real good.  There are some "behavioral" requests I have:

1) Shortcuts to and back from the Single Photo Mode.  That is, I have my thumbnail size slider set up to the optimal viewing size for multiple photos.  I would like to middle-click (or some other shortcut) on an image to jump to the Single Photo Mode.  Then, I would like to be able to click the "Back" arrow at the top to return to the multiple thumbnails with the size slider at the same position as before.  This is currently hard to do using just the slider.

2) In the Single Photo Mode, the currently viewed image should always be selected.  It is pretty easy to delete or perform some other operation on a different image if you don't notice the single image in the view is not selected (you can get in this situation by scrolling with the mouse wheel, for example).

3) Another suggestion is possibly putting some editable tag values below the single photo in this mode.  For example, underneath the image you could have a clickable edit field to add a caption, clickable rating, etc.  I know this can be done in the Tag Window but it might be nice to have some shortcuts.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 12:45:37 pm »

2) In the Single Photo Mode, the currently viewed image should always be selected.  It is pretty easy to delete or perform some other operation on a different image if you don't notice the single image in the view is not selected (you can get in this situation by scrolling with the mouse wheel, for example).

I agree.

I'm a little concerned that scroll + shift/click won't work anymore (since the scroll would move the selection), but it's probably a good trade.

We'll try it next build and see.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 01:06:10 pm »

I'm a little concerned that scroll + shift/click won't work anymore (since the scroll would move the selection), but it's probably a good trade.

I see your point but I'm not sure that multiple selection in this mode makes sense to me.  You would probably have to go back to multiple thumbnails to verify your selection anyways.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »

1) Shortcuts to and back from the Single Photo Mode.  That is, I have my thumbnail size slider set up to the optimal viewing size for multiple photos.  I would like to middle-click (or some other shortcut) on an image to jump to the Single Photo Mode.  Then, I would like to be able to click the "Back" arrow at the top to return to the multiple thumbnails with the size slider at the same position as before.  This is currently hard to do using just the slider.

Would still love to have this one.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 10:05:54 am »

Bump.  I still really would like these shortcuts.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 07:51:28 am »

Weekly bump...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 09:24:26 am »

In build 499 (and later):
NEW: Right-clicking on the thumbnail size slider (at the top right of thumbnail views) will toggle between full size and the last thumbnail size.

Cheers.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 09:40:42 am »

Thank you!

dcwebman

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 07:28:08 am »

In build 499 (and later):
NEW: Right-clicking on the thumbnail size slider (at the top right of thumbnail views) will toggle between full size and the last thumbnail size.
Nice feature. Just hope users will learn about it. One of those features in MC that once you discover it you'll wish you had known it sooner.  ;)
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up