INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OSD - time for a structure?  (Read 1929 times)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
OSD - time for a structure?
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:23:27 am »

I was playing a dvd-rip (mkv format) the other day, to which I had ripped all sound tracks, subs, etc..

I wanted to change something (can't remember what, and its not relevant anyway), and had to cycle through a bunch of stream selections, picture adjustment options, position, playing now info, etc...

Now, while I appreciate the OSD in it's current form (I was so glad when each of these features showed up), there is starting to get rather a lot of options in there. I would like to propose two potential solutions, and am open to other people suggesting solutions.

Both suggestions assume the categorisation of the current options, something along the lines of...

Picture Controls < Contrast, Saturation, Hue, Brightness, Horizontal and Vertical Picture position, Aspect Ratio...
 Audio/Video Selection < Stream selection
 Playing Now Modified behaviour.... (more below)
    etc....

Option 1: OSD kept as a one line option, but with submenus...
Option 2: OSD enlarged (with transparency - skinnable of course ;)) with a more GUI style feel.

For option 1,

Press the down arrow, get to Picture Controls, use left and right arrows to navigate through the various options - 'Back' returns to Picture Controls in the main menu..
Potential key usage...

Playing Now
-down-
Picture Controls
-right-
Picture Controls: Brightness
-down-
Picture Controls: Contrast
-left or right-
<begins adjusting contrast>
-back-
Picture Controls: Contrast
-back-
Picture Controls
-down-
Audio/Video Selection

Option 2,

Would be basically the same as option 1, however would show a larger OSD, along the lines of...

Code: [Select]
Playing Now
Volume
Picture Controls
Audio/Video Selection

Selecting Playing Now could result in...
Code: [Select]
Playing Now -------------- previousfile.avi
Volume                    >currentfile.mkv
Picture Controls           nextfile.avi
Audio/Video Selection      thefileafterthat.avi

You'll note that I've left out position, this is because I firmly believe that it is not really needed as a separate option. I think that as soon as you activate the OSD for anything, it should display the position indicator at the top (I'd also like that to be skinned differently, but that's not for this post).

I also believe that the left/right arrows should (when pressed while in display view) act as they do now when position is selected in the current OSD, also resulting in the display of the position at the top of screen. I will note that I understand the logic of the left/right arrows while in display view as it currently is, but don't entirely agree with it's logic (but am willing to concede the popular point if necessary ;) )

I think this is more a user-friendliness thing than anything, and hope it's not too big an ask to implement...

Cheers,
C.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: OSD - time for a structure?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:27:56 am »

On a side note: FWIW, I always prefer the OSD > left/right option for moving through files (as opposed to the playback speed method), as it seems both faster and smoother, while also putting less strain on the machine... any chance you could swap the functions of the  ff/rw buttons between the playback speed and position navigation?

Please?

Pretty please?

With cherries and ice-cream?  ;D

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:39:54 am »

First, let me say that I agree the OSD (while awesome in its function) is getting a little busy. I prefer your option1 with sub menus idea.

However, I disagree with this:
You'll note that I've left out position, this is because I firmly believe that it is not really needed as a separate option.

For the exact reason you've stated here in reference to switching tracks:
I always prefer the OSD > left/right option for moving through files (as opposed to the playback speed method), as it seems both faster and smoother, while also putting less strain on the machine

For some media, the "jump" style seek method offered by the "position" OSD item just works better than your standard ff/rew style seeking. TV playback with timeshifting is a good example. If it weren't for Postition in the OSD, I'd need to map 4 buttons (instead of 2) on my remote to give me the same flexibility with seeks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:51:33 am »

For some media, the "jump" style seek method offered by the "position" OSD item just works better than your standard ff/rew style seeking.
That's why I suggested swapping the two seek methods ... maybe if swapping is the preferred option, replace the "Position" option with a "Playback Speed" option in the OSD. I suspect JRiver will be reluctant to change this anyway, but I thought I'd raise it :)

Glad to hear you like one of the options.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:04:06 am »

Glad to hear you like one of the options.

I like both options. Either would be an improvement moving forward. I should have been clearer in saying I like Option1 but with the more GUI/skinnable feel suggested for Option2  :P 

I suspect JRiver will be reluctant to change this anyway, but I thought I'd raise it

I think it's a worthwhile discussion.

EDIT: One thing I'd like to add to all this is that if you press and hold the up/down arrow, the OSD items scroll endlessly. I think the same rules employed in Theater View lists for cursor wrapping could be useful here. That way, the user could simply press and hold the up arrow to get back "home" and visa-versa with getting to the bottom. 
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:17:14 am »

Good discussion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rfdrj

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 02:20:03 am »

It was a good discussion. Is it being put in? All of those were useful options.

An interface for video color adjustment, exposure compensation, contrast adjustment, Hue, Brightness and saturation adjustment.

Picture frame adjustment options, Crop Edges, Aspect Ratio, position, size, match video display to inside edge of outside window, Horizontal and Vertical Picture position.

Look at ALShow for a good way to do most of this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up