INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automating playlist export/import  (Read 1786 times)

simonmason

• World Citizen
Automating playlist export/import
« on: April 13, 2008, 12:18:30 pm »

I would like to automate the process of exporting and importing playlists between two copies of MC.  I have my main copy of MC running on my media server.  Unfortunately this is not easily accessed for downloading to my ipod.  So I am running a separate copy on another machine on my network.  I build and maintain the playlists on the media server, and I want an easy way to replicate them onto the second copy.  (I tried connecting the remote copy to the main copy library, but this will not allow you to sync the ipod - copy protection presumably - but annoying!).  Can I put something in scheduler on the main copy that will perform an export all playlists periodically, then copies them to a network directory (because export all defaults to a local directory and this does not appear to be configurable) and then put a similar event on the remote copy that performs an import every so often.  I checked out scheduler and I presume this will be a MC command line I would need to run?  Can I do this from within the MC scheduler?  Thanks for the help.

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Automating playlist export/import
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:29:25 pm »

This is how I do it: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45526.msg312645#msg312645

By the way, I use the Windows scheduler not MC for this.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:28:56 pm »

Thanks.  That works nicely.  Incidentally, using Windows Scheduled Tasks - what is the syntax for performing a copy command so I can place the files on the network?  Thanks.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:30:54 am »

Thanks.  That works nicely.  Incidentally, using Windows Scheduled Tasks - what is the syntax for performing a copy command so I can place the files on the network?  Thanks.

Create a script (eg, savePlaylists.bat) which does both the silent export + the copy of the playlists. You can then schedule this script to run as often as you need via Scheduled Tasks. To do the actual copy, you could use the dos "copy" or "xcopy" commands.  

Cheers.
Z-Wave Home Automation

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:38:41 am »

What is the corresponding import command to import all playlists from a given location?  Thanks.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:53:57 am »

What is the corresponding import command to import all playlists from a given location?  Thanks.

I just use auto import. This is the simplest way but I guess you could script the import manually using MCC_IMPORT_PLAYLIST:-

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up