INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with video thumbs  (Read 1645 times)

JONCAT

Help with video thumbs
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:55:13 am »

With a Q6600 I experience really strange thumbnail building behavior across multiple file types. MC becomes completely unusable and will seem to get stuck building thumbs. For example, I can try to build 12 video thumbs in a folder and only 4 are made. But each time I re-enter that folder, more thumbs are built until all are complete, but I need to manually push MC to get unstuck. In light of this I have taken to tagging files with custom images and only half of the files are getting tagged; a bug I need to report. Everything is on a local defragged drive and I have noticed this behavior for a long time. I don't understand why I can play a video and manually capture a thumb in a fraction of these times. I'm seeing really long wait times in the log:

0308375: 3336: SDK: CMJPlaybackAutomation::~CMJPlaybackAutomation: Global Count: 0
0308625: 5352: General: RunProgram: Timeout
0308625: 5352: General: RunProgram: Done waiting
0308625: 5352: General: RunProgram: Finish (30500 ms)
0308625: 5352: General: CThumbnailCacheInfo::CreateThumbnailUsingCommandLineGrabber: Result: -1 (0 is success)
0308625: 5352: General: CThumbnailCacheInfo::CreateThumbnailUsingCommandLineGrabber: Finish (30500 ms)
0308625: 5352: Database: CThumbnailsDatabase::AddThumbnail: Start
0308625: 5352: Database: CThumbnailsDatabase::AddThumbnail: Finish (0 ms)
0308625: 5352: General: CThumbnailCacheInfo::CreateThumbnail: Finish (30500 ms)
0308625: 5352: Database: Thumbnail Thread (INTERNAL - V:\Video Archive\xcxcxxcxc\xcxcxcxcxc- Season 4\own.avi): Finish (30500 ms)
0308672: 4124: Database: Thumbnail Thread (): Start

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with video thumbs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:19:49 am »

Thank you! I've been experiencing this recently a lot. I thought it had been fixed, but in fact it was just that most thumbnails had been built. Now what I do when I import video files is to quickly assign a thumbnail image - any thumbnail image - before the weird lockup happens.

I've started a few threads, or contributed to others with various problems, but now I suspect it's all related. Whether it's just my system or a more general problem hadn't been determined, so I left it until I could get more of an idea. I can start a thumbnail build and MC claims to have built them, but only a fraction really get done.... and it takes a long time (overnight). Now, my media is stored on a network server (unRAID) so I thought that this may be a problem. However, it used to be fine and thumbnail generation was far more rapid. I see that you have this problem with locally-stored media too.

When you say MC becomes unusable, I find the biggest victims are right clicking in standard view and mouse scrolling. The other day in Theater View, amidst oohs and ahhs from my friends, all scrolling stopped and I couldn't even launch a video file. I surreptitiously kept trying with my air mouse, while seeming to pause what I was doing to tell them about how great MC is and what can be done with it. By the time I offered them some drinks, I had a window of responsiveness to launch the chosen file. I find that as long as I stay out of playlists or folders with unbuilt thumbs, MC stays responsive.

From what I gather, thumb building is related to directshow filters. Mine seem to be set fine for playback. I've temporarily resorted to VMR9 instead of Haali because it seemed faster to grab a screenshot as a thumbnail, and the aspect ratio of the screenshot was correct with VMR9. So, there's a possibility that my filters aren't optimal, but it only seems to affect thumbs, not playback.

For h264 .mkvs (usually with AC3/DTS):
Haali renderer or VMR9
Haali splitter latest version
CoreAVC 1.6 (Pro, I think)
AC3filter 1.46

For DivX .avis:
Haali renderer or VMR9
Haali splitter latest version
ffdshow raw video decoder latest version
AC3filter or ffdshow audio decoder (for mp3/aac audio)

For DVD rips:
Haali renderer or VMR9
Cyberlink/PowerDVD filters for video
ffdshow for some enhancements
AC3filter for sound

I have very few files that are in other formats.

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:48:24 am »

A few quick comments Fibrit:

1. It's strange how jrworker.exe maye use 25-45% of my cpu (with 4 threads) and my entire system gets affected by MC i.e. can't bring up the taskbar, explorer often locked down, etc.

2. Build thumbs never works for me, overnight, as for you. It really seems like the 4 threads get stuck and don't unload properly. People have always mentioned but later discounted the fact that the ffdshow icon remains stuck in the systray; I think there may be something to this because with limited testing it seems to help move the process forward if one "clears" the icons with a mouseover.

3. I want to take a screencast of this behavior because if some of the staff experienced what I have been going through hopefully it will give someone some ideas as to what's wrong....it makes MC painfully touchy.

4. Even though I've tagged files manually with custom images, there was a severe lag in their application to the files. I had actually had to re-tag quite a few files.

5. 85% of my thumbs are now custom images because I can't get MC to build thumbs within a reasonable time frame (24 hours) on a q6600. I'm leary of telling my friends here at work about MC for their HTPC use given this condition.

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:00:05 pm »

I really could have written exactly that below!

1) Yes, it's frustrating when you can't type into a location field in firefox because MC's doing something. I have plenty of CPU 'free' but certain actions don't work. Mouse scrolling is a no-no, but clicking on scroll arrows, even within MC, works fine.

2) Leaving thumbs overnight doesn't actually build that many. MC says building is complete, but if I restart building, it does so, beginning with a smaller number left to complete than the previous build action. It slowly counts down to zero, but there are still hundreds unbuilt despite what it reports. It's been weeks since I actually saw a thumbnail generated before my eyes  - something that was a  frequent occurence before.
Yeah, the ffdshow/Haali icons show up in the tray, and I do clear them with a mouseover, too. :) However, I'm pretty convinced that that does nothing, now.

4) Yes to the slow manual thumbnail assignment, especially from screenshot. That's why I've started to add thumbnails from the "add from file" option under cover art submenu. It's not instantaneous, but it's quick enough.

5) Every night I spend an hour before bed downloading DVD/BluRay/HD-DVD cover art to use as thumbnails, as that seems to be the only way to get MC snappy. In the end, my library is going to look great in Theatre View, but it's taking weeks.
The problem is that a library restore screws everything up again, so I just pray all stays fine with my library. Last week, after a crash, my playlists had disappeared. Restoring the library caused the thumbnail issue all over again.

And a number 6 for you to try (if you're a masochist):

Copy a thumbnail from one file and paste it to many others. Do the same for another thumbnail, and keep track of which files got which one. In my setup, over days/weeks the wrong pasted thumbnail gets assigned to files at random.

I'm willing to concede that these may somehow be problems with my setup. I'm glad that I'm not alone, however, but do feel your pain. It's a testament to MC that this bug/problem with our setup exists, yet we keep on using MC. :)

A few quick comments Fibrit:

1. It's strange how jrworker.exe maye use 25-45% of my cpu (with 4 threads) and my entire system gets affected by MC i.e. can't bring up the taskbar, explorer often locked down, etc.

2. Build thumbs never works for me, overnight, as for you. It really seems like the 4 threads get stuck and don't unload properly. People have always mentioned but later discounted the fact that the ffdshow icon remains stuck in the systray; I think there may be something to this because with limited testing it seems to help move the process forward if one "clears" the icons with a mouseover.

3. I want to take a screencast of this behavior because if some of the staff experienced what I have been going through hopefully it will give someone some ideas as to what's wrong....it makes MC painfully touchy.

4. Even though I've tagged files manually with custom images, there was a severe lag in their application to the files. I had actually had to re-tag quite a few files.

5. 85% of my thumbs are now custom images because I can't get MC to build thumbs within a reasonable time frame (24 hours) on a q6600. I'm leary of telling my friends here at work about MC for their HTPC use given this condition.

DC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:38:25 pm »

A deadlock problem in audio analysis was fixed in build 497, just released.  Please try it.

A problem with thumbnails was fixed several builds ago.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:22:23 pm »

A deadlock problem in audio analysis was fixed in build 497, just released.  Please try it.

A problem with thumbnails was fixed several builds ago.

Thanks, Jim

I'm using .495, and will upgrade to .497 tonight. As for audio analysis, I haven't ever done it yet, but perhaps it's happening in the background.
Pages: [1]   Go Up