INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Idea: Indication of active background tasks  (Read 2288 times)

Stargazer

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Idea: Indication of active background tasks
« on: April 20, 2008, 11:05:46 am »

Hello... with the later versions of MC, JRiver has automated some of the tasks, Importing files, Analyzing Audio, Get Covers...   some of these tasks seem to take a few minutes to run. 

I was thinking a indicator of what background tasks were active would be nice.

Any thoughts?

Doug

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Feature Idea: Indication of active background tasks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:13:57 pm »

That might be handy, this and the ability to shut-off and lock-out these functions so they cannot execute or be reset by defaults or otherwise.

Some people do not like or trust software to alter files unattended and uninitiated.
. . . the game is rigged

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:20:30 am »

That's so funny; I came to this forum today to post exactly this. Recently, something - I think thumbnail building - has been resource hogging to the point that I can't right click and get a menu. It was horrible this weekend because a crash led me to lose all my thumbnails/cover art. As I was trying to specify thumbnails from files, I was unable to do so because MC was building thumbnails from scratch. I basically had to sit there for minutes, right clicking, to get a menu to pop up. Task manager gave no clue form CPU usage when I could get focus/control again.
So, yes, some sort of feedback, or better yet, even lower priority to background tasks would be really desirable. At least the "building thumbnails" is indicated in the lower left prortion of standard view.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:34:59 am »

That's so funny; I came to this forum today to post exactly this. Recently, something - I think thumbnail building - has been resource hogging to the point that I can't right click and get a menu.
Thumbnailing should not do that, but an over-eager virus checker could.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:47:11 am »

Thanks, Jim, I'll check it out. I haven't changed any virus checker settings recently. However, I did import 10,000+ music tracks from my iTunes libraries, more than quadrupling the size (in terms of number of media items) of my library. Perhaps I'm only seeing the effects of the virus checker now that it actually has a lot more to do?

Still, the feedback would be nice, especially when copying/moving files to new locations from within MC.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:57:28 pm »

MC already shows in the status bar some of the tasks it's working on. They're usually user-initiated tasks, though. I wouldn't think it would too awfully difficult to throw some additional notifications in there when it's doing some of its background tasks.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:27:31 pm »

I'll go with this one. I like to know what's going on... even if it's an additional windows that has to be enabled from options or whatever...

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:30:08 am »

MC already shows in the status bar some of the tasks it's working on. They're usually user-initiated tasks, though.
The only thing I don't like about this is that it sometimes shows and then something can overwrite it so you have to do nothing and the updating information will eventually come back. It would be nice to have it always displayed.
Jeff

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:33 am »

The only thing I don't like about this is that it sometimes shows and then something can overwrite it so you have to do nothing and the updating information will eventually come back. It would be nice to have it always displayed.

Or have a drop-down to show multiple running tasks
. . . the game is rigged

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:32:29 am »

+1  I've been wanting this since I got the program!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:53:09 am »

Sorry,  but this isn't going to happen.  We can't provide a task monitor for the program.

If you want to know more, you can always turn on logging (under the MC Help menu) and read the log.

Pages: [1]   Go Up