INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux UPNP and djmount  (Read 6222 times)

mcollier

• World Citizen
Linux UPNP and djmount
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:41:32 am »

Anybody have djmount working successfully with MediaCenter (I'm running v12.0.470)?

I have djmount working properly with Tversity media server.

I have experimented with various combinations of the server options.  So far, I have not struck upon the combination that works 100%.

The highest level of operation I have acheived...

First, I have MediaCenter configured to convert audio to MP3.  In my case, most of the files in the library are in APE format.

I am able to browse the media library via UPNP and djmount successfully.  When I attempt to play a track however, no go.

Also, when I attempt to add files to a XMMS play list, XMMS appears to go into la la land while I see on the MediaCenter server UPNP queries.  At this time i believe XMMS is trying to discover track information (mp3 header) from the server such as artist/title/track time etc.  Perhaps MediaCenter is not providing the information XMMS is interested in.  I'm not sure how MediaCenter would respond to these type of requests since it is doing on the fly data conversion.

Thanks!

Matt

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Linux UPNP and djmount
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:42:36 pm »

If you'll make a sniff (see the wiki) of Media Center's attempt and Tversity's play of a track and send it to me, I'll try to figure out what's going on.

j (gateley at jriver.com)

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:43:39 pm »

I decided to take another run at this today.

Here's what I've discovered.

First, I'm using the "Advanced" receiver type in the UPNP server options.

Changing the various options on the options screen seem to have little effect.  I am consistently able to browse the library, however I am not able to play a track.

Finally, I decided to try NOT converting the audio.  With every option checked on the UPNP settings screen and no media conversion, I am able to successfully play files that are already MP3 files in my library.

This reinforces my hypothesis that XMMS is requesting information about the media files that MediaCenter is not providing when media conversion is enabled.

Can anyone suggest additional troubleshooting steps?

Thanks again,

Matt

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:45:33 pm »

If you'll make a sniff (see the wiki) of Media Center's attempt and Tversity's play of a track and send it to me, I'll try to figure out what's going on.

j (gateley at jriver.com)

Hi John,

I'll work on this.

Matt

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:53:49 pm »

I'll take a look at the sniff, thanks.

At a guess though, XMMS may be relying on a ContentLength header, which we cannot provide while converting.

I'll let you know...

j

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:06:37 pm »

Since the problem now seems to be with the media conversion, I turned on debug logging on MediaCenter.

Which logging options should I choose to troubleshoot a problem with media conversion and the UPNP server?  Where should I send the log file?

After looking at the log, I wonder how I go about controlling the directory where MediaCenter stores the stream files?  I would have thought it would use the temporary file location specified in the program options, but apparently this is not the case.

Matt

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:30:46 pm »

I'll take a look at the sniff, thanks.

At a guess though, XMMS may be relying on a ContentLength header, which we cannot provide while converting.

I'll let you know...

j

For what it's worth, the track times XMMS gets from TVersity are completely bogus, usually around 30 minutes for a 4 minute track.

The thing about djmount is that it is supposed to look like a file system to the media player, in this case XMMS.  XMMS therefore does not treat the file as streaming media or the like.

Matt

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:13:55 pm »

It's not the content length header.

I *think* what is going on is that XMMS is refusing to play an mp3 file with no ID3 tags.

When we convert files on the fly, we don't generate a tag block, just the MP3 data. I'm pretty sure this is what is confusing XMMS.

There's actually a solution in the  works, but it'll be weeks (and is quite coincidental that it can fix this problem) instead of days.

You can always complain to XMMS about not playing files with no tags...

j

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 10:48:15 pm »

I've found a working solution.

running djmount with the "playlist" option.

djmount -o playlist

creates m3u playlists files for all the files in the library.  Aside from working, it has the added benefit that XMMS treats the files as streaming HTTP audio (w/buffering) which is good for me since I'm working over a pretty weak wifi connection.

I look forward to trying out the solution you mentioned John.  What feature should I be looking for in the release notes?

Thanks!

Matt

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 11:27:26 pm »

Cool! Thanks for reporting the solution. We're looking at ways of using a cache of pre-converted files (which would include tags), so just keep an eye out for that... -- j

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:05:50 pm »

John, has the feature you referenced here been implemented yet?

Thanks!

Matt

mcollier

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 11:21:18 pm »

Bump!
Pages: [1]   Go Up