INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MT2S and Directshow weirdness  (Read 2831 times)

hollasch

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MT2S and Directshow weirdness
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:14:51 pm »

Despite being at 12.0.473, MC was not recognizing .MT2S video files (option did not appear in Directshow).

So I uninstalled and re-installed MC12 and before I reloaded my library, .MT2S was indeed in the Directshow menu.

Then I restored my library and its gone!

Next issue, not sure if its related, my Directshow Playback Options appear to be really screwed up.  When I select a file type and hit "Select Filters" all hell breaks loose.

First, an Open dialog box appears looking for "Subtitle Formats (.srt.sub), MicroDVD (.srt) or subscrip (.sub) files.  I cancel that box, it reappears, I cancel again.

Right after that, CPU hits 90-100%.

Then if I hit Select Filters again, the filter selection window appears and seems to work, but CPU is still pegged and stays that way no matter what I do.  Have to kill MC.

I simply want to manage my .MT2S video files like any other.  When I change the extension to .mpg they work fine.

Suggestions?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MT2S and Directshow weirdness
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:53:40 am »

Restoring library causes "mt2s" to disappear from the list of DirectShow types? That is too weird.

On problems encountered during "Select Filters", you must have some "special" filters that do strange things. Please help us identify those, by turning on logging and, after making an attempt to "Select Filters", emailing the log file to me. yaobing at jriver dot com

Thanks.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:42:23 pm »

Thanks for emailing the log file.

The reason for the "Open File" dialogs popping up looking for subtitle files is that one of the filters on your computer, the "Divx Subtitle Source", behaves badly. I have changed our code to exclude this filter from possible "Source Filter" candidates. This should make "Select Filters" dialog work better.

I am not sure what caused the CPU pegging at high percentage problem. If the "Divx Subtitle Source" filter was the cause, you should see improvement when a new build comes out.

As for "mt2s" type, it is not supported, but "m2ts" is  ;D

Is it a typo or a different type?

hollasch

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:45:55 am »

Yeah, typo, its M2TS.

Which is my main problem, that M2TS is not supported even though I'm on 12.0.473.  Any thoughts on that?

hollasch

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 09:46:53 am »

oh yeah, and thanks for troubleshooting the filter problem.

Kyle

hollasch

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:35:48 am »

Just did a fresh install, media library removed, of 12.0.487.

m2ts does not appear in Directshow filters.  Just m2t.  Why?

So I can change the file extensions to m2t in order to view them.  But MC still does not catalog them in the library. Should I see m2t files as thumbnails in the video library or is that not supported?

Thanks,

Kyle

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:53:10 am »

m2ts does not appear in Directshow filters.  Just m2t.  Why?

Just to confirm, you do not see "m2ts" on the DirectShow Settings window, as shown on jmone's screenshot. It should appear right below "m2t", and above "m2v".

Open the file C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\Data\Default Resources\FileAssociations.xml in a text editor. Do you find m2ts in the file? It should appear in two places:

<Video>MPEG Video (mp2,mpeg,mpg,m1v,mpv,mpe,m2v,m2t,tp,ts,m2ts); ... </Video>

and

<DXTypes>...m2t;m2ts;...</DXTypes>

hollasch

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »

m2ts is listed in both of those locations in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\Data\Default Resources\FileAssociations.xml. 

So I did a search for FileAssociations.xml and found two copies on my hard drive.  One was where you said it would be, and the other was in:

C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\Data\Default Resources

with an older date of 8/2007 (probably when I bough this PC)

I renamed the FileAssociations.xml file in this folder to something else, and now m2ts is back in Media Center and the files play fine! 

1) So what is this directory, why was MC using it and not C:/Program Files...,  and what should I do with it? (I'm running Vista if that matters)

2) Is there any way to get MC manage these files in the library with thumbnails like it does with mpg?  Currently it doesn't "see" them.

Thanks,

Kyle

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 02:36:40 pm »

If you try to write to Program Files without UAC elevation, Vista will redirect the output to "VirtualStore".  We shouldn't be doing this (and I didn't think we were).

What else is in the VirtualStore folder from JRiver?

Anyone else with Vista care to also check?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:22:15 pm »

1) So what is this directory, why was MC using it and not C:/Program Files...,  and what should I do with it? (I'm running Vista if that matters)
You can erase the file from the VirtualStore folder.

2) Is there any way to get MC manage these files in the library with thumbnails like it does with mpg?  Currently it doesn't "see" them.

Once the extra older version of FileAssociations.xml is deleted, m2ts should appear normally in the DirectShow file types list. You should be able to manage it the same way as you do with mpg or m2t.

hollasch

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:03:54 pm »

If you try to write to Program Files without UAC elevation, Vista will redirect the output to "VirtualStore".  We shouldn't be doing this (and I didn't think we were).

What else is in the VirtualStore folder from JRiver?

It appears that the entire MC12 directory structure is in this folder:

Data, Fullskins, Megaskins, ..., Visualizations... but no other files except for "license.txt.

Should I nuke the entire JRiver folder? 

Where is the library stored?

Kyle

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 06:44:53 am »

It appears that the entire MC12 directory structure is in this folder:

Data, Fullskins, Megaskins, ..., Visualizations... but no other files except for "license.txt.

Should I nuke the entire JRiver folder? 

Where is the library stored?

Kyle

No other files? Most of those folders are empty? Then I think you can nuke the folder - just make sure you do not find important data there.

The library should be at "C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 12\Library"
Pages: [1]   Go Up