INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Tagging &/or Renaming Files  (Read 1465 times)

wraith

• Recent member
Issues with Tagging &/or Renaming Files
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:23:49 am »

To whom it may concern,

I've been experiencing a rather annoying issue with the "Rename Files from Properties..." tool in MC 12.0.473(although it has happened in all previous 121.0.xxx versions). The following steps and results will, hopefully, outline my issues:

After importing a number of media files (either manually or through the Auto import function) I proceed to manually alter the tags. This generally involves setting the Name, Artist, Album and Year fields. After fixing/creating the tags I select all the files and proceed to "Rename Files from Properties..." It's here that things seem to go pear shaped.

My latest event I had ten film clips to rename. I selected the Rename function (set all the directories and options) and the status bar proceeded at "Saving tag changes (10 remaining)." It quickly dropped to 5 and then stopped. After waiting a while to see if it continued (it didn't) I proceeded to close MC to see if anything happened. It gave a number of errors saying along the lines ofa number of files couldn't be tagged/moved as they were locked, or in use (which, as far as I'm aware, they were not).

What I don't understand is that the Filename field told me they had been moved. So it appears that MC updated the file location before moving the file or checking the file had actually been moved.

Is this a common problem? Is there an easy fix or way to force MC to move files as it has told me it has? This problem is prevent me from fully realising this very useful function of MC!

Thanking you in advance for your assistance and advice.
System: Intel Quad Core
            6Gb RAM
MC: 20.0.080

Efjay

• World Citizen
Re: Issues with Tagging &/or Renaming Files
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

To the extent that I have had similar problems on occasion, where MC (v.0.495) begins to save tag changes, does some portion then apparently stops.  When I close the program, I get a message saying tag changes remaining but nothing further happens until I end the prorgram via task manager.  Never had this issue in the past (I don't believe) and it does not always happen.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 03:49:28 pm »

What I don't understand is that the Filename field told me they had been moved. So it appears that MC updated the file location before moving the file or checking the file had actually been moved.

MC should Check to Make Sure The Operation Completes Correctly, But It Does Not.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »

May be related, or not

I have seen MC 'drop' files during the "Rename Files From Properties"

If you do not allow MC to fully complete the operation before making any additional tag changes to those files, you will find the files left behind, and reverted to being un-tagged & un-imported. Upon reimporting and renaming to the same location as the rest of the album, these get a file name with the infamous (1) at the end since MC does not "know" it had lost them. Meanwhile MC still "thinks" it has the lost files in the library, but if you try to access them MC will acknowledge that they do not exist.
. . . the game is rigged

globetrotters1

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 07:50:22 pm »

seems to be exactly the same problem as described here

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46540.0

Anyway, importing data, tagging and analyzing together somewhere gets the computer to a point to almost freeze

I can confirm this in version 12.0.492 - but as Jim suggested I have to try it with the latest version 495, which is understandable

I'm now testing this... results are to expect tomorrow

wraith

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:13:09 am »

Hey guys

Thanks for your help and advice :)

I've tried it with 12.0.494 with the same problem. My computer doesn't lock up or slow down; it just doesn't move the file when it says it has. The task bar just still sits there saying "Saving tag changes (x remaining)"

Let me know if I can be of further assistance :)
System: Intel Quad Core
            6Gb RAM
MC: 20.0.080

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:44:41 am »

My issue was resolved with the deletion of an apparently bad file that caused MC to hiccup. Once deleted, I have had no further problems as described above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up