INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Details on computer audio structures (KMixer / Driver / Kernal interaction)  (Read 1036 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic

This was just posted over on AVS...

I figured that some of you PC audio junkies may find this interesting... I sure did but then I do need to get out more :) !!!

http://www.staudio.de/kb/english/drivers/

I think this details why we need a ASIO output plug in if we want bit perfect high end digital output...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Mike Noe

RE:Details on computer audio structures
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 04:38:58 am »

Thanks PP.  This is simple, but good stuff, I've never seen it explained so simply.

Begs the question...Are there *any* playback applications that support ASIO?

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 10:11:54 am »

As much as I hate to say it... Yes there is... Big name player and it begins with a W.... [Winamp]

You then need a plug in from here http://www.aikis.or.jp/%7Eotachan/out_asio.html This works with M-Audio cards but the way I understand the situation it should work with any ASIO compatible sound card (any of the studio level higher end stuff)... The developer has just listened to user input and added gapless support...

I am trying to establish contact to see if I can persuade him to devote his talents to a media jukebox plug in too...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Osho

• MC Beta Team
RE:Details on computer audio structures (KMixer / Driver / ....
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2002, 11:58:08 am »

Hi Phat,

I am glad to hear that you are talking to the developer of asio output plugin :). Please keep us posted.

Do you know if he has sources available for the ASIO output plugin for W..... ?

Osho

Mike Noe

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2002, 02:47:14 pm »

Yeah man, thanks, I'll check it out.  I've been a long time WA user and have been evaluating MJ perhaps to switch.  Haven't quite made up my mind yet, I think an ASIO output mode from MJ would be that proverbial straw.

THanks again,
Mike

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 03:05:34 pm »

Mike,
I don't know whether you saw that Matt from JRiver said he'd take a look at it.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Mike Noe

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 04:09:00 pm »

Jim:
No, I missed that somehow.  However, I've made my decision:  I'm switching to MJ.  WA 2x Plug-in architecture is somewhat fragile, 3x architecture looks good, but MJ just seems to do a better job all-around as well as offering additional functionality.  Expect my payment sometime this weekend.  In the end, it was the ability to very easily control my music library via the browser interface from my wireless PDA.  It's almost flawless with MJ, can't get WA to work at all, even with terminal services client.  MJ with ASIO 2.0 support would complete my system....for now.

Anyway, what about a "stacker" output plug-in for MJ.  Basically, will redirect output to muliple "out" devices.

Thanks,
Mike

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2002, 04:51:50 pm »

Thanks, Mike.  Welcome aboard.  Don't forget to write home and let those Winamp guys know there is semi-intelligent life beyond llamaland.

Stacker?  I agree on multiple outputs.  We've been thinking about how to do that.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Details on computer audio structures...
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2002, 06:54:13 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I'm just waiting to hear from Steinberg about the ASIO 2 SDK.  Once they get back to me and I play around a bit, I'll post an update here on Interact.

We'd really like to see native ASIO support in MJ 9....

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up