INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist wildcards or ranges???  (Read 1031 times)

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
Smartlist wildcards or ranges???
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:48:16 am »

I'm trying to create smartlists which will include, say, all VIDEO where the NAME begins with the letters A-F, and have found that if I set up something like "Media Type = Video AND Name STARTS WITH A or Name STARTS WITH B. . ." what happens is the A's all are media type video, but the B's include JPEGS and audio.  I find I have to do something like "Media Type = Video AND Name STARTS WITH A or Media Type = Video AND Name STARTS WITH B. . ." which gets very long.  In fact, I found that I ran out of room on my screen, and there is no scroll bar that allows me to get to the "Apply" button.  MY QUESTION IS: is there a way to set up a RANGE, like "a-f".  Alternatively, is there some way to "parenthsize" so that a paramter is ANDed with everything that follows, such as "Media Type = Video AND (Name Starts With A or Name Starts With B...)" ???

Sorry for the awkward phrasing of my question.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smartlist wildcards or ranges???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:27 am »

using the smartlist wizard:

media type=video
name contains a-f
sort=name

will give you what you want.

Alternatively, click on the import/export button and paste the following into the space provided:
[media type]=video [name]=a-f ~sort=[name]

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Smartlist wildcards or ranges???
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 07:42:41 pm »

THANK YOU.

When I saw your post, I figured I would try it although I fully expected to get every title that (literally) contains the letters a-f.  Instead, it WORKED exactly as you suggested.

The thing that threw me is I was trying to do it using "starts with" instead of "contains", which does NOT work.  But this does.  Again, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up