INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Vista Sidebar Gadget v2.0  (Read 95070 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC Vista Sidebar Gadget v2.0
« on: April 29, 2008, 06:06:40 pm »

Installation
  • Download the zip file.
  • Rename the file and remove the '.zip' at the end of the file name.
  • Double-click the resulting '.Gadget' file.
  • *If the gadget does not install and you are using an operating system language/locale other than US English then you may have to change the zip file before installation.  Unzip the downloaded file, rename the "en-US" folder to your locale id string, zip everything up again, rename the zip file to end with '.Gadget', and double-click again to install.

Tips
  • Middle-click on the pause button stops playback.
  • Middle-click on the rightmost "connect" button disconnects the gadget from MC and may shut down MC itself.
  • Click the bottom half of the gadget to show the flyout with tag details.

Version 2.0  April 29, 2008
  • Added zone number.  This means that you can have multiple instances of the gadget running at the same time each viewing/controlling a different zone with different backgrounds, etc.
  • Added startup command. This is any MC*.exe command to run when the gadget connects to MC (e.g. play a playlist, etc.).

Version 2.1  Sept. 27, 2008
  • Gadget height is adjustable.
  • Can customize track time display.  This can be any string where the following replacements are made: {R}=Time Remaining, {E}=Elapsed Time, {T}=Total track duration.  Example: {E}/{T} will give you 1:59/5:40.
  • The current track can be added to a playlist in the Flyout window.  Just add the "Playlists" field to the list of tags shown in the Flyout (now included in defaults).  Click on "Add to..." in the Playlists field of the Flyout and then select the Playlist you want to add the current track to.
  • You can now set the covert art image display to Small, Full Gadget, or None.  The full gadget display now does this for cover art and not just image files.

Version 2.2  Oct. 6, 2008
  • Options to not show MC UI when connecting and to auto connect on startup.
  • Can now add current track to multiple Playlists in the Flyout.  The Playlists to which the track already belongs are shown in gray text.  Click the X at the top to close and return to normal Flyout window.
  • The command to run when connecting now should support the correct MC version (not tied to MC12.exe).

Version 2.3  Oct. 23, 2008
  • Added cover art/image display options: 1) Full size but switch to small when moving mouse over the gadget and 2) Full size with text over the image.
  • Hopefully fixed cover art display problems in "Full gadget" display mode.
  • Made multiple "pages" for Options dialog.
  • Modified gadget to work with MC13.

Version 2.4  Nov. 18, 2008
  • Gadget now makes sure MC is running before trying to connect.  This hopefully should resolve MC focus issues with the gadget.  Note that if MC is not running this will cause the MC UI to be shown regardless of the "Show MC on Connect" setting.
  • Added "Small/Full hover" image display mode.
  • Added scroll bar to tags flyout.

Version 2.5  Feb. 20, 2010
  • Center divider can now be progress bar.
  • Added color options for text, divider, and progress bar.
  • MC launcher is now explicitly set in options to avoid registry access issues.  This will have to be updated/edited by the user for new versions of MC.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Vista Sidebar Gadget v2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 06:50:01 pm »

Thanks.

mobyfrag

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 05:24:32 am »

Thank you so much cncb :)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:07:25 am »

You're welcome.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:05:51 am »

I'm very fond of this gadget - thanks for it!
There's only one thing I don't get: how can I edit the code in the properties so that I can see some additional information in the basic screen? So I don't mean the screen which I can make pop up by double clicking the lower part. I'd like to see in the lower part Title by Artist (Date). I don't get that date right.

Thanks in advance!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:19:45 pm »

There's only one thing I don't get: how can I edit the code in the properties so that I can see some additional information in the basic screen? So I don't mean the screen which I can make pop up by double clicking the lower part. I'd like to see in the lower part Title by Artist (Date). I don't get that date right.

Try a slash in front of the parentheses like so:

Code: [Select]
If( IsEqual([Media Type],Audio), <i>[Name]<//i> by [Artist] /([Date]/), [Name]<br>[Date] )

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:24:26 am »

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm getting there now! But... When I put down that line all requested info is shown with the line "If IsEqual[Media Type],Audio," in front of that. As when I leave the date-code away it's shown properly.

This is what I've programmed now:

If IsEqual[Media Type],Audio, >[Name]<//i> by [Artist] /([date]/), [Name]
[Date] )

Can you give me another suggestion please?

(Edit): oops, I found it! The ( and the ) signs got lost when copy'ing pasting the code to NotePad... (How? Well, I use 'SendToNotePad' for pasting a clipboard-time to NotePad - apparantly it's got a bug). I double-checked with your suggested code and now it's works just fine!

Thanks!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 12:25:33 am »

i just wanted to say fantastic idea!

i think i have a few suggestions for improvement. mainly, just more customization.

is there any way to make this gadget larger? i would really like to see the Song Title, Artist, Album Title, Year, Genre, maybe some other stuff without having the flyout. Can the number of vertical pixels that the gadget take up not be edited?

also, any way to change the countdown till the next song to some other field? it would be nice if we would see a countup if we wanted. or even a [time elapsed/[total time] format.

what about the cover art? any way to make it fill the whole gadget? what about get rid of that part altogether?

could even have 2 instances running to where the top instance was cover art, and the second instance was able to contain many more lines of text. although i think this would be a bandaid and the better solution would be to change the size of the gadget and just give full costomization as to how many lines of text you want, the size of the cover art, etc.

very nice though!!

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:50:33 am »

a suggestion? hope!?!

When playing a song, a spot to run over to computer and click 5 stars!  for quick tagging! so we dont have to open up in standard view :D

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:13:05 am »

is there any way to make this gadget larger? i would really like to see the Song Title, Artist, Album Title, Year, Genre, maybe some other stuff without having the flyout. Can the number of vertical pixels that the gadget take up not be edited?

also, any way to change the countdown till the next song to some other field? it would be nice if we would see a countup if we wanted. or even a [time elapsed/[total time] format.

what about the cover art? any way to make it fill the whole gadget? what about get rid of that part altogether?

You can customize the gadget by editing the .css, .js, and .html files in any way you want.  Note that it wasn't totally straightforward to get everything to look and behave correctly in terms of the height of the gadget so this might be a little tricky.  In any case, I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind if I do an update of the gadget.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:15:05 am »

When playing a song, a spot to run over to computer and click 5 stars!  for quick tagging! so we dont have to open up in standard view :D

This is already available.  Open the flyout by clicking the text on the bottom half of the gadget and you will see the clickable rating.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 10:54:07 am »

WOW I Didnt know that was Editable. lol

Sweet!

Thanks Alot !!

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:44:44 pm »

You can customize the gadget by editing the .css, .js, and .html files in any way you want.  Note that it wasn't totally straightforward to get everything to look and behave correctly in terms of the height of the gadget so this might be a little tricky.  In any case, I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind if I do an update of the gadget.

Yeah, I've been messing around with the editing of the editing of the gadget. Really, I'm just trying to increase the height of the gadget to 200. Editing everything else seems pretty straightforward. However, when I increase the height to 200, the blue background image file doesn't extend past where the original gadget ended, so it doesn't work. I've tried to figure out where to specify for the background image to fill the gadget, but have been unable to do so thus far.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 07:59:21 am »

Yeah, I've been messing around with the editing of the editing of the gadget. Really, I'm just trying to increase the height of the gadget to 200.

I'll try to do a quick update to the gadget that allows the height to be edited in the Options screen.  I will post it here soon.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 11:02:38 am »

i've been playing with the Gadget and wanna say again i love it!

I'm wondering if there is anyway for me to edit the flyout window?

I would LOVE to be able to edit the playlist in the fly out.. is this possible by any chance?

I have my playlists set up as MUSIC then genre playlists, then i have  aseperate playlist called cool mixes with genres under it.. And i often listen to music and have the tag box open in jriver and when i hear a song i like i open playlists and tag it under appopriate coolmix genre.. anyway to incorporate a playlist dropdown in the gadget flyout so i dont have to open jriver?

Thanks for any suggestions.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 03:52:38 pm »

I have an update ready that should satisfy most of the requests (see the first post).  However, I can't seem to upload the attachment - I get a "attachments not writable" error.  Can a moderator help me out?  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 03:58:32 pm »

Please mail it to bob at jriver with a link to this thread.  Thanks.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 05:04:48 pm »

will gadget update be in this post\topic?  ty

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 07:05:37 pm »

will gadget update be in this post\topic?  ty

Yes, as soon as I can upload the attachment.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 12:48:47 pm »

You should be able to upload attachments now.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 03:05:56 pm »

Thanks.  The file is available for download in the first post again.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 03:12:21 pm »

SWEEEEET!!!

You managed to make the ULTIMATE GADGET :)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 02:10:43 pm »

Thanks for this cncb, been using it since v1.0 and it's great :)

Just one thing, maybe I'm the only one but I always dislike how it maximizes MC upon connection (and with the latest version, also it seems whenever any settings are changed - seems to keep trying to reconnect).  I've been stopping it doing this by commenting out a line in jrmc.js:

if( jrmc != null)
    {
        // DON'T Show the MC interface
        // jrmc.ShowProgram( 1);

Like I say, maybe just me, but I find it far more useful like this :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 02:16:28 pm »

hi eba.. how do i go about editing that? which proggy do i use? and where is the file i need to edit please?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 02:28:16 pm »

Thanks for this cncb, been using it since v1.0 and it's great :)

Just one thing, maybe I'm the only one but I always dislike how it maximizes MC upon connection (and with the latest version, also it seems whenever any settings are changed - seems to keep trying to reconnect).  I've been stopping it doing this by commenting out a line in jrmc.js:

if( jrmc != null)
    {
        // DON'T Show the MC interface
        // jrmc.ShowProgram( 1);

Like I say, maybe just me, but I find it far more useful like this :)

Sounds like an usefull improvement! I also like the gadet very much, but stoped using it because of this. I'll try to add this line for me to! Will I lose some function doing this??

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 03:02:36 pm »

The way it works now is most useful for me.  It doesn't connect until you click the button on the toolbar to do so.  It shows the MC UI when it connects so you can choose something to play.  It reconnects after you change settings in case you set up a "startup playlist".  It doesn't seem like you would be changing settings that much once you have it setup the way you want it and you can just leave the MC UI open while you are getting the settings right.

In any case, you can comment out that line with no bad effects - all it does is show the MC UI.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 03:04:23 pm »

maybe I'm the only one
obviously not  :D

My hack:

Extract MC.Gadget.zip

edit the following file with, e.g., notepad
en-US\js\jrmc.js

Search for the line jrmc.ShowProgram( 1); then add // to the front to comment it out (the first instance only)

Save

Rezip everything back to MC.Gadget.zip (make sure you have en-US etc. directly in the zip, not in a MC.Gadget sub-folder)

Rename the zip to MC.Gadget and install :)

Will I lose some function doing this??
Not that I've noticed, though I'll let cncb answer for sure!  :-X ...which he has done while I was writing :)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 03:43:09 pm »

The options screen is getting a little crowded but I could add whether or not to show MC at connection as another option if there is enough interest.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 03:51:58 pm »

youve done more then enough cncb.. but can i pry a bit?

Been sorting fonts all day long.. and been using the sidebar gadget, and listening to tunes and selecting the playlists add to.. any way by chance... to make it as you did with ratings? where we can select more then one add to at a time? If i knew how to do this stuff i would!  But it would make it alot easier i think for those of us that do alot of tagging..

example when i choose my playlists sometimes the songs i hear go into more then just one coolmix playlist.. some goto party mix, some roadtrip mix, some work outmix, some one hit wonders etc..  Be GREAT to be able to select multiple playlists at once. instead of having to keep hitting the add to link..

Hope i'm not asking to much.. But it's a great tool ya got going on here!! so just giving tips on things i'd like.

Thanks for all the work you have done thus far. MUCH Appreciated.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 08:56:31 am »

Been sorting fonts all day long.. and been using the sidebar gadget, and listening to tunes and selecting the playlists add to.. any way by chance... to make it as you did with ratings? where we can select more then one add to at a time? If i knew how to do this stuff i would!  But it would make it alot easier i think for those of us that do alot of tagging..

I should be able to do something here.  I am thinking about adding some kind of "Done/Close" button on the playlists screen so that you can keep it open to select multiple playlists until you are done.  Also some indication of what playlists a track is already in would probably be useful.  Would this be sufficient?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 12:03:24 pm »

beyond sufficient :)

thanks alot.. yea just a pause or lock or something would help immensly .. so one can choose multiple lists:)

I have tons of music, and i often listen to my Music playlist (which is all my genres) and when i hear a cool tune, then i run to comp and i put it into appopriate playlists.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 01:14:54 pm »

wow, i just wanted to say thanks a ton. i am at work but can't wait to test out the 2.1 gadget. i anticipate it will be a big improvement over an already fantastic gadget.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 10:11:31 am »

this would be neat to incorporate into your gadget as well...  A mini display while playing vids, I've used it for months and it works flawlessly only down side is when ya grab there gadget and pull it off the side bar the window is still kinda small would be cool if they would have made it resizable... not sure if this would be possible with your gadget... but be cool to see vids from jriver on side bar and choose cool feeds like they have done ;D

http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=835ebb3c-f3ef-4652-966a-6d554e859484&bt=1&pl=1

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 01:51:37 pm »

this would be neat to incorporate into your gadget as well...  A mini display while playing vids, I've used it for months and it works flawlessly only down side is when ya grab there gadget and pull it off the side bar the window is still kinda small would be cool if they would have made it resizable... not sure if this would be possible with your gadget... but be cool to see vids from jriver on side bar and choose cool feeds like they have done

I tried before to embed the MC visualization window in the gadget but I don't think there is any way to do it.  It is not ideal but you can get the MC video display in the sidebar.  Right-click the Display Window and select "Detach Display".  Resize the window to be really small and drag it to your sidebar like in the attached picture (the screen capture does not show the playing video but it was displayed).

cncb

• MC Beta Team
v 2.2
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 10:16:32 pm »

I posted an update with an option to not show the MC UI when connecting and to allow multiple playlist additions.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 03:06:45 am »

Excellent, Thank You!  :D ;D

lynott

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 04:27:44 am »

Hi!

Is it possible to format the text string to display this:

Name
Album
Artist

instead of "name" by "artist"

Thanks in advance :)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 09:38:37 pm »

Yes, replace [Name] by [Artist] with this:

[Name]<br//>[Album]<br//>[Artist]

HTPC4ME

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 11:00:02 pm »

hi cncb

out of curiosity.. are you using this with 13?

Have you noticed right click lock ups with it?

Since i've installed 13 the previous version and most recent i've noticed my right click locks up and i cant use it within 13.. and EVERYTIME it locks up and when i right click i notice sidebar flash on and off. And when i close jriver gadget, then the right click in 13 works as normal and always shows up.

Note.. i do NOT have 12 installed on the machine this happening on so i cant test it with 12.

lynott

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 06:02:03 am »

Yes, replace [Name] by [Artist] with this:

[Name]<br//>[Album]<br//>[Artist]

Works like a charm. Thanks a lot :)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 03:13:40 pm »

out of curiosity.. are you using this with 13?

Haven't tried 13 yet and don't plan to for a while - sorry.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 03:50:45 pm »

ok ty for reply ;)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:08 am »

I keep losing track of this thread and everytime I come back, I find this gadget just getting better and better. :)

I do have a couple of questions, though.

1. When I set Cover art/image display to "Small" it works fine and shows the correct cover art. When I set it to "Full gadget" it only displays a generic MC file icon. Any idea why that would be?

2. When it's set to "Full gadget" any chance the song/playback properties could show when you hover the mouse over it?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:55 pm »

Since i've installed 13 the previous version and most recent i've noticed my right click locks up and i cant use it within 13.. and EVERYTIME it locks up and when i right click i notice sidebar flash on and off. And when i close jriver gadget, then the right click in 13 works as normal and always shows up.

I just moved to 13 and I don't notice any right-click problems.  Is there a particular area where you see it?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 08:01:29 pm »

very unpredictable, and hard to trace down except when closing the gadget, then closing the sidebar.

happens often when clicking on any file, edit, help, tools, etc.. and almost everytime when tagging changinging filenames etc.. after closing gadget works for a few more songs then i have to close sidebar then works flawlessly.. then i reopen sidebar and gadget to test again.. and right click options disappear again at times.. very spuratic... no idea what it is..

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 08:13:55 pm »

1. When I set Cover art/image display to "Small" it works fine and shows the correct cover art. When I set it to "Full gadget" it only displays a generic MC file icon. Any idea why that would be?

2. When it's set to "Full gadget" any chance the song/playback properties could show when you hover the mouse over it?

1) I think I see the problem with this one although I can't explain the behavior you're seeing or why it seems to work for me  :).  In any case, I will hopefully include a fix in the next update.

2) This should be possible.  Maybe I could add another display option to be "full" except switch to "small" when hovering?

lynott

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 06:31:20 am »

Maybe I could add another display option to be "full" except switch to "small" when hovering?

That sounds like a great idea.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 01:33:10 pm »

Yeah, that would be great.

Actually, another option for full thumbnail with overlaid text would be cool too.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 04:03:39 pm »

Actually, another option for full thumbnail with overlaid text would be cool too.

I'm not sure about this one.  I tried it and the text is not really legible.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:19 pm »

Well, I can't really read the text but I didn't see any reason to not add it as an option.  I just posted an update with this and the full/small hover option.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up