INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature Suggestion] Provide "force lowercase" checkbox in Rename Files dialog?  (Read 1001 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe

Even if MC execution remains Windows-only, the media files can be stored on and moved among a variety of platforms, including Windows and Linux and MacOS and other OS. Because many of these platforms are case-sensitive, it would be nice if MC's Rename Files dialog (and Cover Art dialog) made it easy for a user to assure that all directory and file names are consistent case.

Case-sensitivity is popping up all around: Typical consumer storage "appliances" are Linux/Unix/BSD-based, as are OS X and portable devices and a variety of FTP and other online storage systems. While some of these mask case-sensitivity at the application level, there's still a risk that "wrong" or inconsistent case in folders and files will create a variety of problems.

I already force my directories and folders to lowercase using the FixCase function in my Rename expressions. But would "average" users know of the need to do this, or know how to implement it?

How about providing a simple "Force lower case" checkbox in the Rename Files dialog, and also somewhere it can be applied to cover art files? This capability would make it easier for users to avoid the "mystery" of files "disappearing" or having multiple versions, especially when users with consumer-level storage devices (and consumer-level tech knowledge) move or rename files. (This feature is common in file management utilities that work across different OS versions.)

I suggest an explicit Force-Lowercase checkbox that acts on directory and file names, because the OS-level need is separate from using the Clean tool to alter the case of tags (data) text.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up