INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading/Refresh of CDR is flakey.  (Read 1658 times)

gvag

Reading/Refresh of CDR is flakey.
« on: August 01, 2002, 04:33:04 pm »

I've been using MJ to catalog my CDs but at some point in the process MJ always fails to recognize that a new CD has been placed in the drive.  This is not a system problem as both EAC and Explorer recognize the change.

I have tried F5, right clicking and selecting Update from CDDB and re-inserting the CD all to no avail.  If I restart MJ I can usually get it working again but only for a time then it fails to refresh again.  The last time I restarted it would not read the drive at all yet I ripped and played the Cd with EAC with not problems.   I had to reboot to get MJ to read the CD.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 999 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 170 MB
Resource Info: System - 60 %, GDI - 70 %, User - 60 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Listening to: 'Si Tu Vois Me Mere (I Remember When)' from 'Moments Like This' by 'Charlie Byrd' on Media Jukebox

gvag

RE:Reading/Refresh of CDR is flakey.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 12:30:01 pm »

Bump.  

Is there any hope of getting this fixed?  Can anyone confirm this problem?

Thanks

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 12:49:38 pm »

Hi gvag,

I don't want to say that it's an ASPI problem, but anyway I see from
your sys info that your ASPI layer is not properly installed.
You should upgrade to Version 4.72 (the latest available), and have it
completely installed.

Your sys info

wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

My sys info

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336

CPU: AMD Athlon 1459 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 282 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.70

As you can see, you need to have the same version of wnaspi32.dll
& Aspi32.sys

You can still try this and see if it can help.

Also have a look at this thread about ASPI : http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=12549
Yves.

gvag

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 11:08:38 am »

Yves -

I ran ASPICHK.EXE and it reports no problems.  I note from your sys info that you are running XP.  Also, I'm not recieving any error messages from MJ about conflicts in the ASPI layer.

Would someone from MJ please confirm that my system is configured properly?

Would someone from MJ please respond to this post?

Thanks

sekim

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 11:33:19 am »

>>> but anyway I see from your sys info that your ASPI layer is not properly installed. <<<

For 98SE this is properly installed. Mine used to say the same thing but worked flawlessly. It is only when you go to Adaptec and install the latest version will it show it under ASPI32.sys :

gvag -

You can go to Adaptecs site and install the latest version of ASPI. It may help. There are many threads here in Interact that point to the site. Do a search and a few should reveal themselves.

I tend to think .336 is having issues with CDDB. I cannot insert and rip two cds back to back without MJ hanging. However, reading first and ripping later doesn't cause this type of hang.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2002, 11:42:09 am »

gvag,
Please update your aspi layer.  Check the FAQ here.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

David

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2002, 03:29:42 pm »

Machinehead wrote: "I tend to think .336 is having issues with CDDB. I cannot insert and rip two cds back to back without MJ hanging. However, reading first and ripping later doesn't cause this type of hang."

This is exactly what I am seeing too.  I reported it in my posts under the heading of "CD Ripping under 336."  

MJ almost always hangs when ripping is finished and I put in the next set of CD's. I have ensured that I click on the "OK" dialog box and let it attempt to grab the album art before I swap disks. When I close the drives and MJ calls the CDDB to resolve the new CD's it will 9 times out of 10 hang or spit out an error. I'll post the exact error later. I usually have to close down MJ and restart it. Often it will hang again when contacting the CDDB the second time too. I have a cable modem so it should always be accessable.

If I rip one CD and then close the program everything is fine.  If I insert another CD after the first one is finished ripping, it will hang.

On the occasions when MJ hangs it usually doesn't produce an error. When an error is displayed, here's what I get:

Microsoft Visual C|PLS||PLS|
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Media Jukebox.exe
abnormal program termination

David

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2002, 03:49:05 pm »

David,
MJ/Help/Copy System Info and paste here, please.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

gkerber

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2002, 07:01:07 pm »

I've seen the SAME problem.  And I can fix it every time by deleting the entries from MediaLibrary->CD and DVD Media.  Then I have it reread the cdr with cd-text and it finds it every time.

sekim

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2002, 05:35:27 am »

New discovery with Windows XP. Go into my computer and select the cd-rw drive. Right click and properties. AutoPlay > Actions.

Take no action when audio cd is inserted seems to cure the CDDB hang problem. It will read the disc but not play it. This is nice because I like to jam MJ with a bunch of cds before ripping and just get the track info from CDDB.

Also, and this is good, if there are mixed format cds you can also take no action with them as well. This has just cured a major pain when trying to rip these newer 'Enhanced CDs'. Prior to XP I could only get MJ to see these music files as HUGE. I'm talking 500-600 MB cda files. Now MJ can differentiate between the data portion and the cda files. Ripping these is no longer a mess. Although the data portion kicks in for the video or whatever is on them, it is easier to shut them down and rip.

David

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2002, 05:15:02 pm »

Thanks MachineHead that was it.  Strangely enough, I had turned these settings off a few weeks ago before I even downloaded MJ.  The only ones that were active were the Auto Detect for Music CD's.  I wonder if Windows Media Player re-activates it.  Anyway, I can now rip with the Pioneer DVD-R drive and the Zip 650 USB drive without error.  

There is some sort of incompatability with the HP DVD100i DVD|PLS|RW drive though.  It reports the following error on certain CD's (not all): "Failed to read sector. Sector 0: Incorrect Function. Would you like to keep trying further tracks?"  It just hangs.  I tried it with ASPI, IDE and Auto.  If this were my only drive it would be a bigger problem but I am happy to use the other two for now.

Media Jukebox  8.0.336

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1395 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 188 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

gvag

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2002, 11:21:33 pm »

JimH -

I've updated the ASPI stuff and just finished cataloging 7 CDs with no refresh problems, I'd say its fixed (shhhhh...).  Wish I could say the same about Secure Ripping but I will do a separate post for that.

Listening to: 'Mood Indigo' from 'Duke Elegant' by 'Dr. John' on Media Jukebox

thanks

David

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2002, 09:00:55 pm »

While ripping, I have temporarily swapped a Samsung DVD-ROM drive in the place of the HP DVD|PLS|RW drive and have ripped 40|PLS| CD's with only one crash.  I forgot to close the "Click OK" dialog box before reloading the new set of CD's.  There was no error message displayed, the program just died and closed all the open windows.  

Ripping is progressing very nicely.  Thanks for the tip MachineHead.

David

sekim

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2002, 11:30:34 pm »

>>> I forgot to close the "Click OK" dialog box before reloading the new set of CD's. <<<

Yeah, I did the same thing once and it hung MJ. As long as the OK button is clicked things seem to work fairly well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up