INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Videos: some little enhancements requested  (Read 1999 times)

carbo

• World Citizen
Videos: some little enhancements requested
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:01:58 am »

Until recently I wasn't using MC to watch videos as I had encountered a lot of freezes and crashs on my previous install.
But since I've moved to vista I give it another shot and find that everything is working fine.

So after a few days of usage, I have some little tweaks that would made the usage of MC for videos perfect for me.
  • jump forward backward 5,10s, custom ?
    Right now you only have jump by 30s and it's a too wide gap. I often miss a dialog and want to go back for a few seconds. I also often skip the beginning credits of a tv show. I think additional jumps of 5 seconds would be good but ideally an option to set a custom time would be great (like Gomplayer).
  • easier shortcuts
    For these additionnal jumps, easier keyboard shortcuts would be great. Ctrl+shift+left is a real pain to do. Ideally "left" and "right" would be perfect but they are used for OSD so maybe "," for jump back and "." for jump forward would do the trick.
  • customizable OSD
    I would like an option to disable the OSD. I'm watching a lot of videos with subtitles and when I unpause the video, the OSD is hiding the subtitles for a few seconds.
  • thumbnails from 10s in
    On my videos the automatic thumbnails made after import are often black because they are done from the first images of the videos. Can you make these thumbnails from 1Os after the beginning. The content will be more meaningful I think.
  • Disable screensaver and power savings when watching videos.
    This one is a major request. Currently I'm watching videos with display detached on my secondary display. In this mode, the screensaver is not disabled and you have to hit the keyboard during your video to prevent its activation. I don't know if it's specific to this mode.
  • Integrated management of subtitles.
    Right now you can use ffdshow to display the subtitles but strangely it's messing up the display of videos by resizing it. If MC could handle the subtitles files (.srt, .txt or .sub) internally with some customization (size, position, color...) it would be nice. Shortcuts to adjust poorly synchronised subtitles is a must too.
  • filter field values lists with access control
    Finally I have a last request on access control so it's not directly linked to videos.
    Access control is filtering nicely the content but it's not filtering the fields values related to those contents. For example if I hide an album with a genre "explicit content", I will still have this genre displayed in the list of genres when I'm tagging other files.
    It would be great if access control totaly hides the data of the filtered files.

So that's my full wishlist for video playback. I know that some of these requests may be specific to my usage but if at least one or two are taken in account it would be nice  ;D

Guillaume

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Videos: some little enhancements requested
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:09:32 am »

Until recently I wasn't using MC to watch videos as I had encountered a lot of freezes and crashs on my previous install.
But since I've moved to vista I give it another shot and find that everything is working fine.

So after a few days of usage, I have some little tweaks that would made the usage of MC for videos perfect for me.
  • jump forward backward 5,10s, custom ?
    Right now you only have jump by 30s and it's a too wide gap. I often miss a dialog and want to go back for a few seconds. I also often skip the beginning credits of a tv show. I think additional jumps of 5 seconds would be good but ideally an option to set a custom time would be great (like Gomplayer).

I'm quite sure this can be customised and has been discussed before. I can't remember which option it's under, but I know it can be done.

• easier shortcuts
    For these additionnal jumps, easier keyboard shortcuts would be great. Ctrl+shift+left is a real pain to do. Ideally "left" and "right" would be perfect but they are used for OSD so maybe "," for jump back and "." for jump forward would do the trick.

If you press the down arrow once/twice, the OSD brings up your position in the video file. The right and left arrows do exactly as you request- (jump forward and backward by your customised interval). Ah, but I see the OSD is a problem for you in item number 3:

• thumbnails from 10s in
    On my videos the automatic thumbnails made after import are often black because they are done from the first images of the videos. Can you make these thumbnails from 1Os after the beginning. The content will be more meaningful I think.

Yeah, it'd be great to be able to specify when the thumbnail's taken.
  • filter genre list with access control
    Finally I have a last request on access control so it's not directly linked to videos.
    Access control is filtering nicely the content but it's not filtering the fields values related to those contents. For example if I hide an album with a genre "explicit content", I will still have this genre displayed in the list of genres when I'm tagging other files.
    It would be great if access control totaly hides the data of the filtered files.

I see what you're saying. For now, you could use a euphemism - a harmless genre category that only you know stands for explicit. If you're worried about minors seeing the category and being intrigued, just label it 'educational'. :)

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:36:09 am »

I think these are all great suggestions, except for the last one. 

Why not set up access control to filter out the genre as oppossed to having it filter on an album by album basis?  That's what I do and it works fine.  Filters out the albums, genre name, etc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:54:46 am »

• Disable screensaver and power savings when watching videos.
    This one is a major request. Currently I'm watching videos with display detached on my secondary display. In this mode, the screensaver is not disabled and you have to hit the keyboard during your video to prevent its activation. I don't know if it's specific to this mode.

Use Display View instead of detaching.  The screensaver and power management will be nicely handled.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:13:08 pm »

thumbnails from 10s in

I think this is already possible. Right Click in your Video or DVD while it's playing and choose "Use Screen Grab for Thumbnail" at the point you want.

TLS

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:59:52 pm »

I'm quite sure this can be customised and has been discussed before. I can't remember which option it's under, but I know it can be done.
Sounds interesting. Do anyone remember how to do it ? I've searched the forum but with no luck  :(

If you press the down arrow once/twice, the OSD brings up your position in the video file. The right and left arrows do exactly as you request- (jump forward and backward by your customised interval).
Thanks I didn't know about that !  :D It's almost perfect as you have to press twice the key: one to display the OSD, one to actually jump.

Why not set up access control to filter out the genre as oppossed to having it filter on an album by album basis?  That's what I do and it works fine.  Filters out the albums, genre name, etc.
Unfortunately when you filter by genre, they are still displayed in the list of available genres when you tag a new video.

Use Display View instead of detaching.  The screensaver and power management will be nicely handled.
I was guessing it was only a problem in this mode. I will use display view as a workaround but it doesn't have the same advantages : with detached display you can keep your main MC window on your main display to manage playlist while displaying the video on your secondary display (TV in my case)

Guillaume

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 02:04:47 pm »

It turns out we were already trying to disable the screensaver in detached fullscreen mode.  The hitch is that Vista (with UAC) requires a different approach.

In build 496 and later:
Changed: On Vista with UAC enabled, the screensaver would not be disabled when a detached display was fullscreen.

Let us know if it does the trick.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:30 pm »

It turns out we were already trying to disable the screensaver in detached fullscreen mode.  The hitch is that Vista (with UAC) requires a different approach.

In build 496 and later:
Changed: On Vista with UAC enabled, the screensaver would not be disabled when a detached display was fullscreen.

Let us know if it does the trick.
I will !

But I can tell you right now that UAC is not active on my computer.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 04:39:09 pm »

Issue still seen under Vista Ultimate on build 510

Detached mode was quite advantagous in that resoloution on TV is much lower, so seeing MC on
high res screen on laptop is useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up