INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from MJ 8.0+ to MC 12 and simultaneously move to new computer  (Read 1319 times)

shahrukh

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

I have an old computer with MJ 8.0.400+ (paid, and hence eligible for upgrade pricing). I've wanted to upgrade to MC but since I was getting a new computer, I thought I'd do it at the same time. I now have the new computer, and here is what I would like to do:

1. I would of course like to move my library from MJ 8 to MC 12. (This is mostly the playlists, since the rest of the library information can be recreated from the tags and filenames, as I take care to use only tags that can be incorporated into the filename.)

2. I would rather avoid installing unnecessary software on my new computer (e.g., do I really HAVE to install MJ 8.0 on the new computer JUST to get the upgrade price recognized even though I intend to wipe it out with MC 12 and never use MJ 8 again?).

So my questions are:

A. What is the optimum sequence of upgrades, transfers, and imports to achieve what I want (which is to get MC 12 on the new computer with my old MJ 8 database)? Integrity of the installation and the imported/transferred database is more important to me than saving the $20 on the non-upgrade price, i.e., if it's cleaner to sacrifice the upgrade pricing, that's fine.

B. Related but separate question: MJ 8.0 on my old computer is asking me to "upgrade" to MJ 12.0 (free). If I do this, does it basically eliminate the possibility for me to get upgrade pricing for going from MJ 12 to MC 12 (since MJ 12 is free and hence not eligible for upgrade pricing)? And is there any other reason I should NOT upgrade the old computer from MJ 8 to MJ 12?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

1.  MC can convert your library from MJ8.

2.  Yes, you have to have a licensed copy of MJ8 installed to get the upgrade price, but you can uninstall MJ8 after that.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Actually, since you still have the old computer you can do the upgrade process on that PC. Save the key file and transfer it to your new PC. It is valid for 14 days and you can use it for registering MC12 without installing MJ8.

A) Create a library backup file with MJ8 and in addition backup the Data folder from MJ8 program location.

After installing MC 12 on your new PC you can use the Library Restore tool and restore your MJ8 library. If the media files are copied to identical location(s) the library should work as before.

If you had cover art files in MJ8's Data folder you need to duplicate exactly the same cover art location on your new PC (the library contains links to this location). Alternatively you can copy the cover art files to a different folder and select this folder in MC12's cover art location options. After that you can use MC12's cover art tools for relinking the files.

B) In my experience the MJ8 registration does not disappear when you install MJ12 or any MC version. In addition, you can always get a new key code from JRiver so you can reinstall and register MJ8 even when using a fresh OS instrallation.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

shahrukh

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

Thanks ... I like the idea of upgrading on the old PC first and then transfer over the key file.

You also said:

"If the media files are copied to identical location(s) the library should work as before."

And if they are not? In particular, if I am putting it on a different drive with a different drive letter, do I first have to put it on the original drive first, and then relocate the files within MC (which is an awful lot of unnecessary copying ... perhaps 50GB worth)? Or is there a way to "tell" the library that the root has moved?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

It's not a problem. The recently redesigned Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool can easily fix partial file paths.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up