INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 uPNP server relaying internet radio .ram & .smil (BBC & RTE) streams  (Read 1302 times)

ianto39

• Recent member

I have playlist entries for .asx, .ra ???m & .smil internet radio stations being transcoded & working fine at my PC but the .ram & .smil streams won't relay to my uPNP device (a Linksys WMLS11B).  Is there a work-around or plugin to get these working under MC12 or is this a known/deliberate/licensing restriction

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut

What do you mean "transcoded and working fine on my PC"?

Off the top of my head, I'd say these probably won't work. I think ram is a protected format, and we can't transcode that in the UPnP server.

j

ianto39

• Recent member

I can File->Open URL, http://bbc.co.uk:80/radio1/realaudio/media/r1live.ram and listen to it through MC, also save it as a Playlist.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut

Okay - that's not transcoding (which confused me), that's just playback.

When you play the URL, Media Center sends the data to the Real Audio engine and the Real Audio engine does the decoding and playback. Media Center can't get the raw data produced by the RA engine, both for technical and licensing reasons.

So, unless the Linksys supports real audio format, we can't play it via UPnP. Some formats we can transcode (such as FLAC to mp3), but not these. Sorry.

j

ianto39

• Recent member

Thanks for the clarification, it looks like RTE's .smil URL also points to a RealAudio stream so no luck there either, can only hope that the BBC & RTE eventually add MP3 streaming worldwide. I am happy enough to at least be able to browse & select not only MP3 streams but also WMA/ASX streams directly from my player via MC playlists, and to do it from the same server that I use for my MP3s, especially now that you have managed to free us iPod Touch users from having to go anywhere near iTunes anymore.

Pages: [1]   Go Up