INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Lookup -- does the text used in the album name effect the lookup?  (Read 1519 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Does the cover art lookup system in MC rely on the specific naming used on an album?  I'm wondering because I seem to have quite a few albums where the name used will not necessarily be exactly the same from one user to the next.  For example, different people use different naming for multi-disc albums -- i.e. some people add "(cd1)" or "(disc1)" to the album name, while others just use the "Disc#" field.  I personally use additional text such as "[Def Ed]" to separate a "Definitive Edition Remaster" album from an original release, or "[Box Remix]" to define a new, remixed album from a box set.

When I use these "modified names," however, it appears that the MC cover art system may be seeing these CDs as separate, unique albums, and will therefore not give me any (or at least not as many) cover art choices.  Is this the case, or will MC see the same list of cover art choices for any given album regardless of the specific text used to name the album?

Thanks,

Larry

rossp

• MC Beta Team

Yes I believe the Artist / Album names are matched exactly. If you have cd1 as well in the Album field this will put the yabb search off. You would be better to have a separate library field to hold this information.

Ross

E.O.D.DJ

• Recent member

I agree with lalittle your best bet is to include the information in the tags built into MC use the disc# tag for your disc# as for special editions that gets a bit more complicated. Like most things though its all a matter of how much effort your willing to put forth. If you have a relatively small library changing the disc# tags can be useful and a good habbit to start. However when you start pushing 300gb of music its easier to just find the images manually vs changing the library.

Tagging can be a pain and a blessing all in one. I think i've seen some tagging advice posts around before but that might be something worth stickying or mentioning in the wiki (if its not there already)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

The answer is pretty complex. A short version: we try to be smart about recognizing albums that are the same, but spelled differently, and we try to be smart about recognizing albums that are spelled almost the same but are really different. The situation should get better over time as we get more data...

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team

If You Have "Marchbox Twenty" Yabb Will Not Find The Coverart For "Matchbox 20"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the feedback.

The answer is pretty complex. A short version: we try to be smart about recognizing albums that are the same, but spelled differently, and we try to be smart about recognizing albums that are spelled almost the same but are really different. The situation should get better over time as we get more data...

Do you happen to know how MC would handle the presence of "[Box Remix]" or "[Def Ed]" in the album title?

It occurs to me that perhaps the system could be designed to ignore (or at least put less weight on) text in between brackets.  This way, brackets could become the standard syntax for letting users add text to album names that isn't "officially" in the actual title.  In other words, if users wanted to add slight modifications to album names in order to define things like a remixed version or an import, they could use brackets for this info, and MC would understand that it should ignore this text.  I don't "think" that album titles would ever normally use brackets, and I know that Amazon uses brackets in this manner in their album names (i.e. an example from Amazon is "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway [ORIGINAL RECORDING REISSUED] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]".)

Does this seem like a good idea?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Larry, as John said, this is complicated.  We can't discuss it in detail.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

Check again, King... -- j
Pages: [1]   Go Up