INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album title the same for two artists  (Read 1628 times)

horse

• World Citizen
Album title the same for two artists
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:18:53 pm »

I have two Albums from two artists that have the same title "The Platinum Collection"
In MC i see them individually, however on the iPod I see the album only show up once in coverflow and under albums with the tracks for the two artists mixed up.

For now I've added an extra space in the title to make it different, but is this how it is supposed to be???
This must occur with many other titles like "Greatest Hits" " Love Songs" etc.

I'm hoping this is just something I'm doing wrong

SwellGuy

Re: Album title the same for two artists
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:41:17 am »

You're not missing anything, that's how it works.

I'm not sure why an artist would ever use the same album name twice. How do you know which Platinum Collection you want to listen to? I would rename both albums as either The Platinum Collection #1 & The Platinum Collection #2 or The Platinum Collection (1972-1978) & The Platinum Collection (1979-1985).

Or is The Platinum Collection a two (or more) disk set? In that case, they are the same album but have a disk # specified.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:40:39 pm »

The Artists are different . . .

i.e.

Phil Collins                     - The Platinum Collection
Bryan Ferry + Roxy Music - The Platinum Collection

Same thing for "Greatest Hits" by The Bangles, Queen, Air Supply and the Human League

I'm pretty sure it must be the way I'm using it as this would drive people nuts.

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 02:58:59 pm »

Bad news I'm afraid... this is how it is and has been for some time. It's the way the ipod groups stuff together. You have to go into these albums via their artist, or call the albums different names. It's not too bothersome until you throw Cover Flow in the mix - you wouldn't often select Greatest Hits from the text-only display of previous generation ipods. I imagine Apple will fix this in a future firmware update, maybe.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 04:05:04 pm »

Thanks.

I guess my real problem is having had the luxury of being able to sort, view and select music how I want given the power and flexibility of MC. Now knowing what "can" be done, I want even my portable devices to be able to do it.
Hmmmm, iPod with a portable MC running on it :-)

Off to do some renaming . . . . . .

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:06:21 pm »

Wow. I completely missed the "two artists" part of your post.

prod is correct. Apple has decided to lump them all together on the iPod for some reason. If you sync with iTunes it does the same thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up