INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Explorer window pops up over MC when iPod is connected.  (Read 5057 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I just built a new system (Windows XP), and every time I connect a 160GB iPod Classic to it, a Windows Explorer window pops up over MC showing the contents of the iPod.  It doesn't appear to interfere with MC, but it's really annoying to have to close the window every time I want to do a sync.  Since this wasn't happening on the previous system, and since I can't remember fixing it before, I'm wondering if there is a problem, or if something is simply set incorrectly.

I tried going to the iPod drive's "Autoplay" properties and selecting "Take no action" for all the file types, but it didn't stop the Windows Explorer window from popping up when the iPod was connected.  I was finally able to alleviate the issue by using TweakUI to disable autoplay on the iPod drive letter, but I'm concerned that this is more of a "workaround" than a fix.

Could anyone confirm whether or not this behavior is "normal" for Windows XP?  I don't see the same issue on Vista, so I'm wondering if something is going on with the XP system.  I can find comments around the web talking about this issue, but these comments aren't all that common, which leads me to believe that the issue may not be normal behavior for an iPod.  I'm okay to use the TweakUI fix if this behavior is normal, but I would first like to confirm that it is indeed "normal."

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Windows Explorer window pops up over MC when iPod is connected.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 04:57:40 am »

One other thing I forgot to mention:

I used this system with my iPod a week or two ago, and I could SWEAR that this didn't happen.  I struck me enough today to research the issue, so if it had happened a week or two ago, I would certainly think that I'd remember it.

Could a windows update have changed something that effected iPod behavior?  I tested the same version of MC that I was using a couple weeks ago, and the issue happens, so it's not due to a change in MC.  Could some software installation cause this?

Any confirmations from other XP users would be quite useful.

Thanks,

Larry

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:06:26 am »

I can confirm I'm getting the same thing, would love to stop it too.

I don't remember my old iPod (3G) doing it, but my new Nano certainly does.

Richard

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:18:01 am »

I can confirm I'm getting the same thing, would love to stop it too.

I don't remember my old iPod (3G) doing it, but my new Nano certainly does.

Richard

Thanks for posting Richard -- it's good to at least know that it isn't some issue specific to my system.

Just out of curiosity, are you using XP or Vista?  If you're using XP, you can download "TweakUI" from Microsoft -- it's one of their "Powertoys."  This will allow you to individually turn off the autoplay for an individual drive by opening the TweakUI interface and going to "My Computer > Autoplay > Drives" and unchecking the drive letter you use for you iPod.  This will shut down autoplay for the iPod without effecting the behavior of your other drives.

TweakUI isn't "officially supported" by Microsoft, but they're the ones who offer it, and I've never had any issues with it.  As far as I'm concerned, this tool really SHOULD have been made official -- I don't know why it wasn't.

Larry

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:10:27 am »

I am getting the AUTOPLAY pop-up with VISTA and ALL of my settings are marked "Take no action" when I plug in my iPod.  MC 12.504 was not running when I plugged in my iPod. I wonder if the iPod setting of disk use is causing this to happen.
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:31:29 pm »

Turning off disk use for the iPod with iTunes didn't stop the autoplay pop-up.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

Try killing some of the background tasks that iTunes runs.  ipodhelper, for example.  I think there are three.  You can kill them from the task manager, or go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:38:38 pm »

I don't have iPodhelper on my VISTA system that doesn't have iTunes on it.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:19 pm »

Thanks for posting Richard -- it's good to at least know that it isn't some issue specific to my system.

Just out of curiosity, are you using XP or Vista?  If you're using XP, you can download "TweakUI" from Microsoft -- it's one of their "Powertoys."  This will allow you to individually turn off the autoplay for an individual drive by opening the TweakUI interface and going to "My Computer > Autoplay > Drives" and unchecking the drive letter you use for you iPod.  This will shut down autoplay for the iPod without effecting the behavior of your other drives.

TweakUI isn't "officially supported" by Microsoft, but they're the ones who offer it, and I've never had any issues with it.  As far as I'm concerned, this tool really SHOULD have been made official -- I don't know why it wasn't.

Larry

Thanks Larry, yes I am using XP...will go and find TweakUI.

Cheers
Richard

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:44:41 pm »

Try killing some of the background tasks that iTunes runs.  ipodhelper, for example.  I think there are three.  You can kill them from the task manager, or go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

I'm seeing this on a system that has never had iTunes on it, so it's apparently not an iTunes issue.  Ironically, my Vista system that DOES have iTunes on it does NOT have this problem.

Go figure.

Larry

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 09:58:37 pm »

On VISTA, you must have unchecked "Use Autoplay for all media and devices".  Once I unchecked that box the pop-up from the iPod being inserted went away.  I don't run XP any longer so I can't remember if XP has a similar setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up