INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thumbnail cache synchronization suggestion  (Read 994 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
thumbnail cache synchronization suggestion
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:01:32 pm »

I synchronize my library and thumbnail cache files to multiple computers on a regular basis. It works very well however a (hopefully small) change would significantly improve the experience.

My synchronization program compares date modified to determine if a file needs to be copied. It appears that MC always modifies the thumbnail cache files, even if I do not take any actions that add, remove, or modify thumbnails.

This is a bit of a pain because my thumbnail cache files are very large (2.2 GB) and take quite a long time to copy.

It would be wonderful if MC would only modify the thumbnail cache files when a thumbnail is actually added, deleted, or changed.

Thanks in advance for considering this.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: thumbnail cache synchronization suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 05:11:35 pm »

In case anyone has the same issue, I think I found a reasonable solution...

My backup application is Super Flexible File Synchronizer. They recently introduced a new feature called Partial File Updating. It works by installing a service on the backup server which calculates checksums for chunks of large files. The app then only copies the chunks that have changed.

My preliminary tests indicate a significant speedup when backing up the MC thumbnail cache.
Pages: [1]   Go Up