INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing from MJ8 to MJ12 and back again  (Read 1818 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Changing from MJ8 to MJ12 and back again
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:29:26 am »

I've removed a post.

Here is Alex B's reply to him:

MJ12 can read and convert an MJ8 library. You can restore an MJ8 library backup file (in MJ12: File > Library > Restore Library). A restored library contains all previous library data including the static playlists.

Another option is to create a new library with MJ12's Library Manager and point to it to a folder that contains the .jmd files from MJ8's library data folder. If you just installed MJ12 without separately uninstalling MJ8 the library data folder should still be in the old MJ8 program location.

If you separately and fully uninstalled MJ8 without preserving any backups naturally there is no way to access the deleted library data.

The start page issue is a bit complex. JRiver has chosen to display one of the three start pages each time MJ12 is started. I can understand that some users might want to open it directly in a library view after reading the start pages several times.

It is unfortunate if users turn away from MJ12 because it displays the start pages. Supposedly the users either start using e.g. the Amazon service and prefer to see it on startup or then not. If they don't want or can't use the service why bug them by constantly displaying it? Similarly the MC12 features and upgrade information may become irritating after a while. The message should have become clear after a few startups. If the users are not happy with the behavior they are even less likely to buy the advertised products -- aka MC12 upgrade or music from Amazon.

Maybe JRiver could introduce a free registration system that would make a startup location option available. Then JRiver could occasionally send information about new products and services.

In general, it might be better to offer the licensed MJ8+ users MC12 as a $20 upgrade instead of MJ12. MC12 is the fully featured successor that has all previous features in addition to the great new features (and it has the startup location option). I think the small remaining registered MJ8 user base would be happier if they upgrade directly to MC12. They have once paid for the program because of its good qualities and about $20 for the upgrade is really not so much. For instance, they might want to install a new modern version because they have upgraded the computer HW and/or OS -- not because MJ12 is free.

OldCrusty

Re: Changing from MJ8 to MJ12 and back again
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:06 pm »

Hi all ...
Jim H ... you miss my point.  I have, in fact been a paying subscriber since before MJ8 because I've liked MJ a lot.  I've considered it to be the best jukebox program out there... and I believe that I tested most of them.

Alex B ... Thanks for your response.  I believe you hit the nail on the head.  Great idea ...  Perhaps JRiver would consider creating a discounted upgrade path to the MC product from paid subscriptions of some of their other products like MJ8.  I think it would be popular ... and ... you're right ... it's not really the money ... but the idea.   One  of the primary differences between most "free" software and "paid" subscription models is the available options/choices of "start-up" screens & exposure to advertising / brand name showcasing .... not that any complaint is directed at the companies .. or ... the style of exposure ... but .. just at having the options.

As it stands .... I will re-install MJ8.  ... but... trust me ... I believe that JRiver has been doing a fine job for quite awhile.  I look forward to it continuing.

Thanks
Kit Recek

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:08 am »

If you have MJ8 installed and licensed, then an upgrade to MC12 is $19.98.  It can MJ12 data files.

OldCrusty

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:47:50 am »

Hi JimH ...

Thank you.

I did not see the 19.95 upgrade path info.  That is what I shall will do.
It wasn't at all obvious, 'till I followed through the FAQ's.
I thought it was a "wish for" instead of already in place.

So.... what I gather is .... download MC12 ....install MC12 "custom option" into different directory than MJ8 ... Purchase ...Then un-install MJ8 ?
  I lost playlists with MJ8>MJ12 ... so no problem converting .... MJ8 is re-installed, now.
         ... guessing that MC12 assembles "Library" collection from hard-drive collection the same as MJ8 ?
Is it maybe better/cleaner to let MC12 assemble/import library from disk source files(many, many .wav files ... almost 170gig.)  ... instead of converting/importing from MJ8 ?

The "problem" now is ...wink, wink ...  I guess I'll have to set up an IR transceiver so I can move into the new century with a remote control.   LOL.

Thanks JimH and AlexB for the info.
Kit

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:03:42 pm »

MC12 will install in a different directory.

Make sure your MJ8 is licensed.  Double check the upgrade price.

You could re-import if you prefer, but it isn't better.

You could also convert your WAV files to any lossless format.  APE, for example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up