INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center Remote  (Read 3751 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
JRiver Media Center Remote
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:42:12 am »

Hi

Can anyone tell me what remotes are availble that can be used with JRiver Media Center, and possible where I can get them?

damian_pentney

Re: JRiver Media Center Remote
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:59:32 am »

personally I use snapstreams FireFly (I beleive can be configured to work direct with MC but I prefer the easier route of using it with Girder  (see proximis.com) using Glynor's GML [which I believe is already loaded into the Girder default package now])

I also use NetRemote (on PPC/laptop/table] which also needs Girder to work.

There are other remotes that work too, but that's what I use

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:47:36 am »

I use the Hauppauge remote and the Harmony 880 via the infra red receiver of that came with the tuner card. If you are getting a tunner card you could look at what deals snapstream has on there packages. I hear the firefly is very nice and is RF.

I also prefer to use my gyration remote with MC. I find the ability to use the mouse much more friendly with it and quicker to access things by pointing instead of steping through the menus.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:27:53 am »

I use the iMon remote and love it. I have also set it up for a friend. It is very easy to set up for all programs including MC using the iMon software. The only downside I have seen is that its buttons only work on the active window. However, I have a play/pause button that works no matter what programs are active by creating a batch file, assigning a keyboard shortcut to the batch file, and then assiging that keyboard shortcut to the iMon remote button. I also like the iMon because I can switch between active programs with it, I can turn the computer on/off with it (with iMon Inside), and I can switch between Standard View, Theater View, or Display View with just the push of a button. I also use the remote for browsing the internet, using TheaterTek, and controlling MyHD (HDTV tuner card/software). If you purchase any of the iMon IR products, you can also use a Logitech Harmony remote with the IR receiver and iMon software.

raldo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:49:26 am »

The IMON is hard to get properly working with Girder because it has proprietary IR codes. The IMON driver also *blocks signals from other remotes*.

I am using UIRT (rs232 version, plugged directly into the motherboard) (http://www.usbuirt.com/) presently. This unit plugs directly into MC (through the IRMAN plugin) but you can also use it with Girder.

I use a Logitech Harmony (525, the cheapest one) together with the UIRT. For control of your PC, you can set up the Logitech to behave as any remote you like.

A major advantage with UIRT is that it works with any remote. I.e. it passes all remote signals through.

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:13:49 am »

I use the ATI All In Wonder RF remote.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:28 am »

The IMON is hard to get properly working with Girder because it has proprietary IR codes. The IMON driver also *blocks signals from other remotes*.
I thought about using Girder at one time, but found that the iMON software allowed me to do everything I wanted. I also noted that the iMON works fine with the Harmony remotes (at least on the 880 and 670).

raldo

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:13 am »

[...]the iMON works fine with the Harmony remotes (at least on the 880 and 670).

I tried the IMON IR receiver with my Logitech Harmony 885 and I never got a good response time in that configuration. The response time with the original remote was very good, however.

antipode

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 03:09:32 am »

I'm a very content user of microsofts media center remote, in combination with the free HIP software. The remote and the ir-receiver shouldn't cost you more then 15-20 euros and buttons are completely configurable...

----------------
Now playing: The Beatles - Within You Without You
via FoxyTunes

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 07:02:35 pm »

Ukahfur, a member here, here recommended the Gyration universal remote. Really impressive for the price. It worked out of the box with MC12, and awesome response time. Has the Wii/MX Air gyro tech too. Even has a button pre-configured for F11 to cycle through views. Granted you can do more with Girder probably, but it never really worked very well with my Harmony 550 and IRtrans VFD. Doesn't have some of the "Activities" that the Logitech stuff does but honestly this thing works better than the Harmony in my situation.

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48:56 am »

personally I use snapstreams FireFly (I beleive can be configured to work direct with MC but I prefer the easier route of using it with Girder  (see proximis.com) using Glynor's GML [which I believe is already loaded into the Girder default package now])

Me too.  And they packaged my GML file with it?  Wow!  Didn't know!

I LOVE my Firefly+Girder setup.  It is RF and has great range (works outside in the back yard quite well), it's reliable, it can be programmed to do anything I want, and is flexible (buttons can do one thing in one application, and another thing in others).  The only other thing you really need is a USB-UIRT so that you can use the remote to control your other AV equipment too (turn on and off the TV and amp and whatnot).

Girder 4 and 5, while not free, are not anywhere near as scary as older versions of Girder to get set up and working well.  My only complaint is that Girder 4 is not super-stable.  It crashes about once per week on my machine at home.  You only have to re-open the application when this happens, but it's annoying when you suddenly can't turn on the TV anymore.  The Girder Run Time is much more stable, but I found that it didn't perform as well with simulated keyboard actions (arrow up/down), so I keep the "full" Girder running all the time in my task tray.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

damian_pentney

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 09:48:36 am »

Glynor......I'm using Girder 5 and haven't had any stability issues (run's 24/7 on my media server using XP). I never used v4 as 5 was already released when I found the proximis software, so I'm not sure if 4 comes with the 'watchdog' feature -  Watchdog monitors Girder and it's plugins (user configurable monitoring parameters). If something goes wrong and Girder can no longer run or crashes, the watchdog will restart Girder (again user configurable) and I beleive activity can be logged. The few times I've had crashes, I actually didn't know until days later (reading log) as Watchdog handled the problem without any noticeable interuptions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up