Yes
- 3 (60%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I couldn't care less. . .
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: SRT support for UPnP server  (Read 1531 times)

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Request: SRT support for UPnP server
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

I've run into a problem with a few movies lately.  They have "forced" subtitles, because there are small (but significant) portions of the movie in which dialog is in another language.  Unfortunately, these are not embedded into the video, but are actually in the form of subtitle tracks.  Watching these movies on my media player, using the MC12 UPnP server, they are not there.  I haven't found a practical way to re-encode the subtitles into the video without significant quality loss.  What about adding SRT support to the UPnP server???

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
SRT support for UPnP server
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:02:29 pm »

Bump for the poll. . .

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Feature Request: SRT support for UPnP server
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:53:27 am »

Does your UPnP client device support .srt subtitles? Does the device's manufacturer recommend a certain server program that works with the feature if it exists?

AFAIK, to make it work the server would need to be able to serve two files simultaneuosly - the video file and the corresponding .srt file. The client would need to be clever enough to request also the subtitle file and be able to decode it into the outputted video signal.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:46:11 pm »

I know that some media players, such as mine (D-Link DSM-520) provide SRT support.  D-Link's server looks at the video file name, and if there is another file with the same name and the .srt suffix, it serves it up automatically.

The problem with the D-Link server is that it is very basic-- it doesn't have a database like MC12 which allows me to organize by actors, ratings, genres, etc.  It would be just subdirectories and filenames.

I would love to figure out a way to "hard-code" the ("forced") subtitles into my videos, so that it wouldn't be an issue.  The problem is that the moment I do that, I'm forced to transcode the DVD to a FIXED bit-rate, whereupon my quality goes down the toilet.  Presently, I simply extract the mpeg2 from the VOB, leaving the bit-rate and audio portion intact.

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 05:08:10 pm »

Final bump. . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up