INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Cache converted file (via a stack)" option for handheld not working right.  (Read 2467 times)

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I have been having a problem with the last couple of builds of Media Center 12.  For my iPod I have the Conversion Cache set to "Cache converted file (via a stack)".  The files are being converted and copied to my iPod, but the files don't make it from MC12's temporary folder to the stack location directory.  Which means that the converted files are neither added to my library or stacked.  Which kind of defeats the purpose of caching the converted files to save time on syncing to a handheld device.

If I use the button in the handheld options to "Build cache for selected handheld" then the files are converted, imported, and stacked.  However, I don't want to convert and stack every non-MP3/M4A file in my library, since I don't put all the music in my Media Center Library on my iPod.  It's kind of a waste of hard drive space to convert and stack files unnecessarily.

Is anyone else having this problem with the file conversion caching? If so, is there any way to have this fixed within the next couple of builds?

Thanks.

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

is this being looked into?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I sync'd my ipod on Saturday using 12.0.512 without a problem.

Is there anything else you can tell us that might help reproduce the problem you're seeing?

What operating system are you using
What version of MC are you using?
What ipod version are you using?
What file types are being converted?
Is there anything out of the ordinary regarding either the original file location or the cache directory location?
Any network locations involved?
Any external drives involved (besides the ipod, naturally)

-marko.

Keith R

• Recent member

I had the same problem and have reverted to an earlier version 120504, the problem with this version is that it doesn't seem delete files from the handheld but at least I get the cache file. 120512 does delete the files but doesn't create the cache.

I've tried 120512 with various devices (iPOD Nano 3G, SD Cards etc) and the problem is the same. The file is transferred OK to the device but there is no cache and thus media centre has to convert the files every time.

Keith

DarkPenguin

is this being looked into?

It's on the list but I haven't looked into it yet.

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Marko,

Here's some clarification...

1. What operating system are you using
2. What version of MC are you using?
3. What ipod version are you using?
4. What file types are being converted?
5. Is there anything out of the ordinary regarding either the original file location or the cache directory location?
6. Any network locations involved?
7. Any external drives involved (besides the ipod, naturally)

1. WinXP Home SP3

2. MC 12.0.512

3. iPod Classic 160g, software v1.1.2

4. flac specifically are the problem files. I have ogg, mpc, and wma files in my library as well, but they were converted and cached months ago. So I haven't tried the process on anything other than flac files. Would it help if i tried converting some other formats and told you my results?

5. I don't think so.

My original files are located on my d: drive.
path: D:\My Music\Music\
folder rule: [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]
filename rule: [track #] - [Name]
compilation filename rule: [track #] - [Artist] - [Name]

My cache files are located on my e: drive.
path: E:\iPod Cache\
folder rule: [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]

6. No.

7. Not for my music.

--
Also, I only sync music and music playlists to my iPod. It has disc use enabled. I had a portable installation of MC12 on my iPod. I thought that might be the problem, so I removed it from the iPod. But, that didn't help with my problem.

Do those details help? I'd be happy to provide more information,  if necessary.

Cheers,
Aaron

DarkPenguin

It's on the list but I haven't looked into it yet.

Next build.

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

great, thanks!    :)

Matchbox

I reported this issue in the 514 build along with the following.  Have these been duplicated and are they being worked?  Thanks.

Also, like the prior versions, if I click the stack icon (for a file created from "build stack"), I see the icon turn the top red, but no stack file is displayed.

If I right click AUDIO and select "edit view scheme" and the just click okay, nothing more, just click okay, then the stack files show up.

It seems once I tell the stack to expand and then do the routine with "edit view scheme" above, then it expands/collapses fine after that, but the routine must be done for each file at least once.

-------------------------

And it get worse.  After trying this and that... now whenever I select "build cache" from options, MC crashes everytime.

DarkPenguin

I've not been able to duplicate the stack expansion thing with my view schemes.  However, there are views which are filled from a subset of your files.  If the stack file is not in that list you won't see it (or any other new file) until the view is reopened.  This is known.  No timeframe for when it will be worked on.  (It requires major surgery.)

As to the crash.

Do you have a log of the crash?
What are your cache settings?

Matchbox

I've not been able to duplicate the stack expansion thing with my view schemes.  However, there are views which are filled from a subset of your files.  If the stack file is not in that list you won't see it (or any other new file) until the view is reopened.  This is known.  No timeframe for when it will be worked on.  (It requires major surgery.)

As to the crash.

Do you have a log of the crash?
What are your cache settings?

I reverted back to 12.456 (pre-mandatory-hh-stacks), so I can't provide any more information, sorry.

I'll just keep reading posts to see when the problems are fixed before I try again.  I know I will get current again, can't be left behind, but I needed to get my handheld synched.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

How can I remove all cached/stacked files?  they are mixed in with my main library (even though I have a folder/path set up in options).

I created a cache/stack for all files for a handheld, but all/many songs seem to have 4 seconds cut off the end of them.  I want to re-create the mp3 versions (stacks) and put them on my device, but I can't get the already converted files to go away.  When I tell it to create the cache/stack again, it crashed MC.

there must be a way to get rid of the cached/stacked files all at once, no?  Ideas???
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up